Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

surely there is scope for somebody to do a vegas flight? even once a week - out every saturday, back on sundays?
    this is the route I would love to see. Even 3-4 times a week from mid March to Mid September...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kellyr4 wrote: »
    Once a week is just not economical.............

Cost of overnighting the aircraft in LAS

Awful for aircraft utilisation performance

Crew wont accept a 1 night layover..............so have to put them up in LAs for a week

Most people dont want to go to Vegas for a week............5 days is enough at a stretch

you do know the plane/crew/airline is free to fly the plane back to other parts of the US/Europe for the remainder of the week? for example if it was one of the american airlines or even BA they could easily link it up with one of their other routes.

the aircraft doesn't have to stay over night either, they can return later that evening, arriving back on the Sunday - its free then for the other 6 days to go to other routes. once a week means the flight is more than likely full.

if it was aerlingus, the crew could rotate with the LA route if needed, but it really wouldnt be.

if somebody wanted to come home quicker than a week, then theres the option of linking up on a return flight thats got 1 stop in between.

no need to be so pedantic, i just gave an example of a route that could be populat

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once a week is just not economical.............

Cost of overnighting the aircraft in LAS

Awful for aircraft utilisation performance

Crew wont accept a 1 night layover..............so have to put them up in LAs for a week

Most people dont want to go to Vegas for a week............5 days is enough at a stretch

Someone like VS who operate other flights there would be able to do this without these issues via crew rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

How many European airlines actually fly direct to Vegas? There doesn't seem to be many so I'd assume there are good reasons why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

john boye wrote: »
    How many European airlines actually fly direct to Vegas? There doesn't seem to be many so I'd assume there are good reasons why

BA, Virgin, Thomson, Norwegian Airlines.

WestJet are also starting a service from Gatwick next year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

Commercially sensible airlines operate a demand led network strategy.
    The Europe - North America market consists of approx 80m passengers per year.

Europe - Las Vegas represents less than 2% of this. Plus its (1) effectively a cul-de-sac with limited onward connecting opportunities apart from self connects with domestic LCCs and (2) as almost a 100% leisure market, carriers cannot generate the business traffic yields that they can deliver on services to SFO, LAX.

In the context of Aer Lingus, Europe to New York (JFK+EWR), Boston & Connecticut combined represent almost 30% of total demand in the Europe - North America market............hence why they are deploying so much of their transatlantic capacity in the North East region.

Glitzy destinations such as Vegas, Miami sound fantastic, but come with great financial risk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Europe - Las Vegas represents less than 2% of this. Plus its (1) effectively a cul-de-sac with limited onward connecting opportunities apart from self connects with domestic LCCs and (2) as almost a 100% leisure market, carriers cannot generate the business traffic yields that they can deliver on services to SFO, LAX.
    if they vegas route didnt have free alcohol, I reckon they could make a fair amount on that alone... the fly from manchester to vegas and this year, it will have less traffic than dublin, they also fly there from Gatwick and also Heathrow I assuming...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if they vegas route didnt have free alcohol, I reckon they could make a fair amount on that alone... the fly from manchester to vegas and this year, it will have less traffic than dublin, they also fly there from Gatwick and also Heathrow I assuming...

Manchester, Gatwick, Heathrow and Glasgow!

Can you tell I have Vegas researched to bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

January wrote: »
    Manchester, Gatwick, Heathrow and Glasgow!

Can you tell I have Vegas researched to bits?

Exactly, stags, hens, lads on the piss, UFC fans..........not Silicone valley tech suits paying for business class seats last minute

Exactly, stags, hens, lads on the piss, UFC fans..........not Silicone valley tech suits paying for business class seats last minute

Actually, according to the Flyertalk BA forum First and Club are mostly always full on the Vegas flights. (they only run first cabins on certain planes that have been updated to New First).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

EI have did some schedule changes today, IAD goes daily 752 and MCO returns to 3 weekly which allows 5 weekly LAX A332 service and still have two recovery slots in schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

john boye wrote: »

theres plenty.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    EI have did some schedule changes today, IAD goes daily 752 and MCO returns to 3 weekly which allows 5 weekly LAX A332 service and still have two recovery slots in schedules.

MCO 3x weekly really ??? Must be making more up front on LAX to justify dumping the frequency on Orlando, which I thought was a popular leisure route for them (certainly looking the ridiculous fares they charge I thought it was busy).

MCO 3x weekly really ??? Must be making more up front on LAX to justify dumping the frequency on Orlando, which I thought was a popular leisure route for them (certainly looking the ridiculous fares they charge I thought it was busy).

It was only increased to 4 weekly this summer for 4 months. 3 weekly is the norm for it.

theres plenty.

4 or 5 airlines is hardly plenty especially if 4 of them fly from the same country! Are there more? I think Condor in Germany might have a Vegas route tbf. They used to anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

If Belfast can support a limited Vegas service I'd imagine Dublin could too. Weekly summer only 744 with Virgin from Belfast, perhaps we could see a based Thomson 787 in the medium term if the Jamaica and Mexico routes pay their way, package holidays seem to be having a pick up in sales so anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

as almost a 100% leisure market, carriers cannot generate the business traffic yields that they can deliver on services to SFO, LAX

Isn't Vegas a massive conference destination? The ISSA/interclean conference is winding up today, and expected 18,000 delegates, with the Live Design International conference, expecting 14,000 kicking off today as well. Along with other 'smaller' conferences. (According to a Vegas business website). Surely some of that traffic coming from Europe might be up for grabs. So I wouldn't discount Vegas as a 100% leisure market. Many of the folk I've run into when I've been there have been on business.
    Actually, according to the Flyertalk BA forum First and Club are mostly always full on the Vegas flights. (they only run first cabins on certain planes that have been updated to New First).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BA, Virgin, Thomson, Norwegian Airlines.

WestJet are also starting a service from Gatwick next year too.

WestJet are flying to Canada from Gatwick from next year, not Vegas.

Not sure where you're getting that impression.

So what is operating the Toronto route and the two Shannon routes if IAD has switched to 757?

Has one changed to A330 operation?

Or is that next year given LAX isn't a current route!!

lxflyer wrote: »
    So what is operating the Toronto route and the two Shannon routes if IAD has switched to 757?

Has one changed to A330 operation?

Or is that next year given LAX isn't a current route!!

Fourth 752 arriving early next year and for summer 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Given that IAD is now a 757, will the early JFK be cancelled or OMNI in again?

OK - that wasn't clear from the original post.

It implied schedule changes from today, as in now!

lxflyer wrote: »
    OK - that wasn't clear from the original post.

It implied schedule changes from today, as in now!

Yeah noticed that edited post to make clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Any idea where from ?
    Oh so it's only staying the summer then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Locker10a wrote: »
    Any idea where from ?

Another ASL lease AFAIK.

And no, its permanent afaik. Sure how could it be only staying the summer if its arriving early that hear?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Any idea where from ?

No he's making the point that the schedule changes are for summer 2016.

The extra 757 will be needed in order to serve the extra destinations so it will have to be permanent.

Presumably if the early DUB/JFK flight resumes another 767 lease may be on the cards for Shannon. That of course will be announced another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Those talking about a LAS route - When Aer Lingus used to go to LAX before, a few of us rented a car and drove to Vegas on 2 occasions. Was only a 4 1/2 hour drive. Car hire worked out at about $50 total one way, plus fuel. Nice drive across the Mojavé too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's an Ethopian airlines 752 that ASL might be taking to fly for EI apparently

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

As mentioned there is more to Vegas than partying / gambling, it's the conference capital of the world. During a busy conference event hotel prices sky rocket as there is they struggle to deal with tourists and conference attendees(even though Vegas has 60k+ hotel rooms)

Although to tap into this market you would need more than 1 return flight a week

• Advertisement

Funnily enough BA yesterday announced they're stopping the Gatwick - Vegas route from next April

Advertisement