Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LeakRate wrote: »
    Not a new route, or operator, however, United airlines will be operating double daily Newark year round, with the UA23/22 and UA130/131 from April.
    Thats gonna clean up before EI start their DUB-EWR route in Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

smurfjed wrote: »
    Seriously? Is there enough of a market for point-to-point services?

I'd be skeptical of that myself. Hong Kong or Singapore make for more logical destinations, and with transit too. The fact that visas are required for Beijing make it a pain for point to point, while the regular delays due to most of the airspace being on lockdown for the airforce don't help transit one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

blackdog2 wrote: »
    I'd be skeptical of that myself. Hong Kong or Singapore make for more logical destinations, and with transit too. The fact that visas are required for Beijing make it a pain for point to point, while the regular delays due to most of the airspace being on lockdown for the airforce don't help transit one bit.

I agree, and I think Hong Kong would be the best of all.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dub-syd

Its almost on the great circle route from DUB to SYD and had a myriad of connections to that region.

Assuming, we're not just talking about Ei starting any of these potential routes, its worthy of note that Cathay Pacific recently began service to MAN and have announced LGW, perhaps they'll consider DUB at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

blackdog2 wrote: »

You no longer need a visa to transit Beijing - you can get 72 hours on arrival.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I imagine that's why Cathay and Qatar (if they stay in IAG

Oneworld? Neither are part of IAG, though Qatar owns a share in IAG.

Cathay won't give a damn was IAG want/do. Long term bad blood between them and BA. They'll do whatever suits them, and them alone frankly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Interesting; Skyscanner-anna.aero “Unserved Route of the Week” is Dublin-Miami with 60,000++ searches in 2015 – one for Aer Lingus?

60.000 searches on Skyscanner in 2015 for the Dublin to Miami route;

DUB-MIA-data.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

6500 x 2(assuming couples travel) = 13000 % 52 weeks = 250 people.
    Most will want to travel in Summer I'd guess. looks like a marginal route based on those stats and as the majority are looking to fly from Dublin it isn't in Ireland's interest to promote this flight although nothing should be done to disincentivise people holidaying where ever they damn well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

737max wrote: »
    as the majority are looking to fly from Dublin

Well if you put in Dublin into the search engine, your usually looking to fly from there!
    That search wouldn't include figures for SNN,ORK,NOC,BFS,BHD, so the actual market would likely be bigger, although its also worth point out just because someone searches the flights doesn't mean they will book them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well if you put in Dublin into the search engine, your usually looking to fly from there!
    That search wouldn't include figures for SNN,ORK,NOC,BFS,BHD, so the actual market would likely be bigger, although its also worth point out just because someone searches the flights doesn't mean they will book them.

It's also only taking in consideration the searches for this route on Skyscanner, none on any other booking site - so I think there would definitely be some potential. Miami could as well be used as a good connection airport into central America/southern United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

IQO wrote: »
    It's also only taking in consideration the searches for this route on Skyscanner, none on any other booking site - so I think there would definitely be some potential. Miami could as well be used as a good connection airport into central America/southern United States.

Miami is a huge south and central American and Caribbean hub.
    Would have no trouble filling a flight I think if you add in crusie traffic and general south florida tourism/business.
    Iberia might want that traffic in Madrid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Just seen a tweet that Hainan airlines launching dub to man to Beijing.....

From Irish travel trade news....
    On today’s Chinese New Year, Hainan Airlines has announced increased capacity on its new non-stop, four times a week service from Manchester to Beijing due to commence on 10th June 2016, thus offering a one-stop service from Dublin.

When the new route was announced on 23rd October 2015, Hainan said it would be operated by an Airbus 330-200, but the airline will now offer increased capacity with an Airbus 330-300 that will offer 292 seats, with 32 in Business Class and 260 in Economy Class.

The new route will be the first non-stop service between Manchester and Beijing and will be Hainan Airlines’ sixth international route following the launch of the Chongqing-Rome, Beijing-San Jose, Shanghai-Boston, Shanghai-Seattle and Beijing-Prague routes last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

islanderre wrote: »

On today’s Chinese New Year, Hainan Airlines has announced increased capacity on its new non-stop, four times a week service from Manchester to Beijing due to commence on 10th June 2016, thus offering a one-stop service from Dublin.

When the new route was announced on 23rd October 2015, Hainan said it would be operated by an Airbus 330-200, but the airline will now offer increased capacity with an Airbus 330-300 that will offer 292 seats, with 32 in Business Class and 260 in Economy Class.

The new route will be the first non-stop service between Manchester and Beijing and will be Hainan Airlines’ sixth international route following the launch of the Chongqing-Rome, Beijing-San Jose, Shanghai-Boston, Shanghai-Seattle and Beijing-Prague routes last year

So pretty much the same "one-stop" service as currently offered by British Airways. Or KLM. Or even Emirates. Or any one of a number of other airlines...

I wish announcements like this (or WOWAir's "direct" services to the US from Dublin) got a more appropriate level of media attention...ie none.

(don't mean to be attacking you here, more so the announcement itself - this sort of PR release really annoys me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Blut2 wrote: »
    So pretty much the same "one-stop" service as currently offered by British Airways. Or KLM. Or even Emirates. Or any one of a number of other airlines.

Indeed. This type of non-announcement annoys me in the same way that the three "new transatlantic routes from Dublin" by Aer Lingus this year only added one new destination to those available.

On the plus side, at least we've gotten rid of the "9.99 + taxes and charges" crap (actual price 50 euro) that was so prevalent a few years ago.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

What I'm taking from this lads is a new airline with new colours at Dublin. I'm sure it's a tester for a direct stand alone route to Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What I'm taking from this lads is a new airline with new colours at Dublin. I'm sure it's a tester for a direct stand alone route to Beijing.

Hainan have not announced that they are serving Dublin.

They are operating from Manchester and have announced bigger capacity on that route.

It would be a connecting flight from Dublin, presumably on Aer Lingus given Ryanair don't interline.

Sloppy journalism from ITTN.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Indeed. This type of non-announcement annoys me in the same way that the three "new transatlantic routes from Dublin" by Aer Lingus this year only added one new destination to those available.

To be fair - Aer Lingus are perfectly entitled to announce them as new routes as, for that airline, they are.

If DAA were publicising them they should describe them as new services as opposed to new routes.

I read this article yesterday. Very sloppy reporting. Yes, a route to Bejing is now only "one stop" from Dublin. However the tone of the headline was very much hinting that Hainan were now operating from DUB. The article didnt give any details on any codeshare or interline agreement. Remains to be seen if you can travel on a single booking DUB-MAN-PEK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Tenger wrote: »
    I read this article yesterday. Very sloppy reporting. Yes, a route to Bejing is now only "one stop" from Dublin. However the tone of the headline was very much hinting that Hainan were now operating from DUB. The article didnt give any details on any codeshare or interline agreement. Reminds to be seen if you can travel on a single booking DUB-MAN-PEK.

I disagree entirely, this is not "sloppy reporting" it is factual and accurate.

However it does contain one element which almost everyone in the PR industry* uses in dollops of larger or smaller amounts, "SPIN"! :)

*Of course I would never besmirch my colleagues in the journalistic professions of this or similarly appalling practices.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I disagree entirely, this is not "sloppy reporting" it is factual and accurate. However it does contain one element what almost everyone in the PR industry uses in dollops of larger or smaller amounts, "SPIN"! :)

It's technically correct, which as we all know is the best kind of correct. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I disagree entirely, this is not "sloppy reporting" it is factual and accurate.

However it does contain one element which almost everyone in the PR industry* uses in dollops of larger or smaller amounts, "SPIN"! :)

*Of course I would never besmirch my colleagues in the journalistic professions of this or similarly appalling practices.

It is the job of journalists to cut through spin - I would argue that they did not in this case.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It is the job of journalists to cut through spin - I would argue that they did not in this case.

I would agree. I can understand the Hainan marketers hinting at a one stop option, or indeed daa themselves. But surely the Irish Travek Trade News writer could have been a little clearer in their article..... "now Irish travellers may avail of a direct Hainan service to Bejing after a short flight to Manchester"

Ah yes good old journalistic integrity. However in this cruel commercial world, it is the job of the PR and Marketing Departments, to never let the facts get in the way of a good story. :D

Tenger wrote: »
    Irish Travek Trade News writer could have been a little clearer in their article..... "now Irish travellers may avail of a direct Hainan service to Bejing after a short flight to Manchester"
    First rule of writing, is never to be too "wordy", which unfortunately your version is. Currently one is wearing one's Editor's hat. :D
    The writer of the piece, followed this golden rule and wrote.
    "thus offering a one-stop service from Dublin".
    Now enough of this giddiness and back to flying! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Saw on Wiki (bad source, I know) and I saw on DUBs airlines and destination page that the Liverpool service is ending in May, is this true? Don't like believing wiki

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Saw on Wiki (bad source, I know) and I saw on DUBs airlines and destination page that the Liverpool service is ending in May, is this true? Don't like believing wiki

It's switching from two EI flights a day to four EI Regional flights per day.

http://www.aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/3434-aer-lingus-increase-frequency-on-dublin-liverpool-route

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's switching from two EI flights a day to four EI Regional flights per day.

http://www.aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/3434-aer-lingus-increase-frequency-on-dublin-liverpool-route

It was more than 2 flights a day, was something like 19/20 a week.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It was more than 2 flights a day, was something like 19/20 a week.

Just looked up the Aer Lingus website and I see 2 scheduled flight per day and an additional flight on a Thurs, Fri and Sun. These flights are valid until 26th March 2016

https://classic.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/timeTables.do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Citywing have decided against operating Dublin - Derry so I've heard. A wise decision on their behalf imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Any news on Qatar starting in Dub ??, seems to be some rumours floating on the ground they are due to start at flights to and from Doha with AL looking after the turnarounds. Could be just a rumour though :D

Advertisement