Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Can't see Cologne playing much of a part tbh, different market, the Rhine Region has millions of inhabitants.

Millions but a lot of choices, people who live south of Cologne may of previously used HHN instead of DUS to get to Ireland now they have Cologne.

Bremen getting the chop for Hamburg or going seasonal.

Hahn is likely a heavily depending inbound market to Ireland and that also plays a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Locker10a wrote: »
    Agreed, I travel to frankfurt, as a good friend lives there, she just doesn't bother with Hahn at all anymore, she says it's the equivalent of flying to Galway to get to Dublin!! It's a 2 hour journey and the timing of the bus services are crap apparently

and I am a distance away from both Hahn and Frankfurt and I use Hahn as the flights are generally cheap(even allowing for the post I made above about flying with Lufthansa) and I'm driving. The parking costs in Frankfurt Main, even off-site are crazy expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Millions but a lot of choices, people who live south of Cologne may of previously used HHN instead of DUS to get to Ireland now they have Cologne.

Bremen getting the chop for Hamburg or going seasonal.

Hahn is likely a heavily depending inbound market to Ireland and that also plays a role.
    Why are you comparing to other German airports? There are as many Luxembourg or french cars in the car park as German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

pclive wrote: »
    In 2015 the most popular onward destinations for Lufthansa’s Dublin Airport passengers included; Moscow, Sofia, Vienna, Tel Aviv, Belgrade, Tokyo, Athens and Kiev.

No surprise Moscow being the most popular here for Lufthansa. You'd have to imagine Lufthansa is getting a nice bit of business traffic given the flight times ex Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

737max wrote: »
    I am curious to discover what comprises an inflight snack on a short distance Lufthans flight.

I haven't flow with LH myself, but from looking at flight reports/videos it seems it can be anything from a small roll to a chocolate bar. There are also complementary drinks.

The medium haul meals seem to be quite decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

737max wrote: »
    I am curious to discover what comprises an inflight snack on a short distance Lufthans flight.

I had to fly to Lyon last year, I remember what food I had
    DUB-FRA Sandwich (reaaally nice, best sandwich i've had in my life tbh)
    FRA-LYS Yoghurt
    LYS-FRA Pan Au Chocolat
    FRA-DUB Sandwich again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Folks - is there any chance of improvements to/from Aberdeen ? The existing pattern is terrible for business flying with only a single Stobart pair in the middle of the day ? There is a dim chance on the return leg cos you can do Aberdeen-Belfast and get the train down in the evening but thats not a runner for the outbound direction.

Ta

trellheim wrote: »
    Folks - is there any chance of improvements to/from Aberdeen ? The existing pattern is terrible for business flying with only a single Stobart pair in the middle of the day ? There is a dim chance on the return leg cos you can do Aberdeen-Belfast and get the train down in the evening but thats not a runner for the outbound direction.

Ta

Nope, oil been the way it is will not help the route either.
    Why are you comparing to other German airports? There are as many Luxembourg or french cars in the car park as German.

May be the case but the facts are FR are cutting it from 4 to 3 weekly from November clearly they are not making enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Flybe to Cardiff ending on 28 October 2016.

Aer Lingus to announce new TA routes in July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Come oooonnnn Vegas baby :pac: :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Saw the interview with the statement from SK. Personally I cant see them being on time....based on track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Tenger wrote: »
    Saw the interview with the statement from SK. Personally I cant see them being on time....based on track record.

Not expecting it either! Plenty other issues they should be fixing by July.

While it may not be on time, this years route announcement I expect was complicated by factors from IAG.

Remember they still announced 2 or 3 routes 10 months out, it will be the same if not longer if the announcement comes in July. It is not always good routes that far out.

Clearly in 2017 they are planning a March-May start so I would expect them by September at the latest.

I'm more disappointed that SK is still CEO.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I'm more disappointed that SK is still CEO.....

I think EI staff in general across all the departments seem to feel that way. Nowhere near as popular as Mueller was it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

aviator7 wrote: »
    I think EI staff in general across all the departments seem to feel that way. Nowhere near as popular as Mueller was it seems.

What EI need is someone fresh, someone from outside EI

What EI need is someone fresh, someone from outside EI
    The COO of EasyJet was in the running until IAG announced their intent.....I would suspect he had no interest in being a puppet of WW. SK has no such compunctions.

The COO of EasyJet was in the running until IAG announced their intent.....I would suspect he had no interest in being a puppet of WW. SK has no such compunctions.

Such a pity, someone like that would have been perfect for the job and I think would have done great things in EI, instead they got a step down the ladder in the form of saving pennys on catering and cleaning and lowering the customer experience ...... Anyway this is off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where do people think EI could start flying to in US/Canada if they are announcing new routes this year? Dallas maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

, instead they got a step down the ladder in the form of saving pennys on catering and cleaning and lowering the customer experience ...... Anyway this is off topic

And you expect the COO of Easyjet, a fairly ruthless LCC, to do any different?

I'm sure they would have been great in terms of expanding the airline, but when it comes to customer service they won't. The COO would have learned that good customer service isn't quite as profitable in the airline business.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    And you expect the COO of Easyjet, a fairly ruthless LCC, to do any different?

I'm sure they would have been great in terms of expanding the airline, but when it comes to customer service they won't. The COO would have learned that good customer service isn't quite as profitable in the airline business.

EZY are very efficient, and yes their managers would enforce this, however having had dealings with them I know they value customer experience, and there are corners they wouldn't cut so drastically!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

EZY are very efficient, and yes their managers would enforce this, however having had dealings with them I know they value customer experience, and there are corners they wouldn't cut so drastically!

Efficiency doesn't equal good customer service. There's been alot of Ryanair like reports on bad customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

salmocab wrote: »
    Where do people think EI could start flying to in US/Canada if they are announcing new routes this year? Dallas maybe.

I have a feeling Miami

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Miami

Miami / Dallas / Philadelphia would be my guesses

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Miami / Dallas / Philadelphia would be my guesses
    The positive upside of the IAG takeover is the acceleration in growth for EI (and DUB itself) 3 additional longhaul more routes in 2016, 2 more expected in 2017, similar expected in 2018-2020.
    We would not have seen this level of growth with a stand alone Aer Lingus.

Route wise, I think MIA is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The positive upside of the IAG takeover is the acceleration in growth for EI (and DUB itself) 3 additional longhaul more routes in 2016, 2 more expected in 2017, similar expected in 2018-2020.
    We would not have seen this level of growth with a stand alone Aer Lingus.

Route wise, I think MIA is a no-brainer.

Would that be the route you would go with or the one you think they will go with? Thoughts on the second?

I think there are prob 3/4 routes more which EI could make work solo but with IAG and OneWorld marginal routes could also work well e.g Vancouver/Las Vegas/Seattle

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would that be the route you would go with or the one you think they will go with? Thoughts on the second?
    -I think MIA makes sense as it covers Florida base cruise leisure and onward connections to South America. SK himself mentioned MIA recently, however he has previously teased us with this in 2014.
    -I think Vancouver/Seattle could work.
    -I dont think LAS is an option, too heavily reliant on lower yield leisure traffic, unless of course we see a sigificant reroute of former BA pax through DUB onto and EI route to LAS.
    -PHL already has AA on the route, so I cant see EI starting it untill they are in OneWorld and its a codeshare with AA pulling their metal off the route.
    -Dallas....it keeps getting mentioned but I dont see it happening.
    -Eastwards......who knows what opportunities IAG see for EI as a lower cost operator than BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

What about Houston?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    What about Houston?

Unless the UA deal is kept there isn't enough O&D traffic to justify it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Rumours I heard so far were Hong Kong,Las Vegas,Mumbai,Miami

Advertisement