Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

-I dont think LAS is an option, too heavily reliant on lower yield leisure traffic, unless of course we see a sigificant reroute of former BA pax through DUB onto and EI route to LAS.
    wouldnt this apply to anywhere that flys to Vegas? with aer lingus charging for drink, I can see that alone being a nice way to bump up revenue to that destination :D

I would absolutely pay more than I currently do, not to have to make a connection and get straight to vegas...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless the UA deal is kept there isn't enough O&D traffic to justify it

I cannot see an IAG airline expecting to be part of the transatlantic joint business arrangement with AA flying to UA's base in Houston rather than AA's in DFW irrespective.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    wouldnt this apply to anywhere that flys to Vegas? with aer lingus charging for drink, I can see that alone being a nice way to bump up revenue to that destination :D

I would absolutely pay more than I currently do, not to have to make a connection and get straight to vegas...

I doubt you'd pay enough or fly often enough to justify it. It's a long thin route which does not feed into a network at the other end - in contrast to MIA, DFW, LAX or PHX (concentrating on AA hubs not directly served from Dublin).

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Rumours I heard so far were Hong Kong,Las Vegas,Mumbai,Miami

I think one of the issues with Hong Kong and Mumbai is the likely lack of transfer passengers into DUB given CX flies to Manchester as well as Heathrow. For Mumbai, there are so many UK regional routes via EK, I think the same applies ie there's already a hoovering up of transfer passengers. Maybe cargo could add some attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think one of the issues with Hong Kong and Mumbai is the likely lack of transfer passengers into DUB given CX flies to Manchester as well as Heathrow. For Mumbai, there are so many UK regional routes via EK, I think the same applies ie there's already a hoovering up of transfer passengers. Maybe cargo could add some attraction.

I heard the Mumbai route was to target the large Indian community in New York to travel through DUB rather than use Air India via LHR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I heard the Mumbai route was to target the large Indian community in New York to travel through DUB rather than use Air India via LHR
    And this is where the IAG situation gives EI access to a greater market that it previously would have.
    IAG could in theory broker some deals with Indian companies to get their travel accounts JFK-DUB-BOM. Thus EI can then operate the routes profitably 'on their own' with logistical support from their parent company.
    With this scenario in mind I could see BOM or HKG working, perhaps IAG would like to see all Asian traffic from Northern UK go via DUB rather than LHR?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Tenger wrote: »
    And this is where the IAG situation gives EI access to a greater market that it previously would have.
    IAG could in theory broker some deals with Indian companies to get their travel accounts JFK-DUB-BOM. Thus EI can then operate the routes profitably 'on their own' with logistical support from their parent company.
    With this scenario in mind I could see BOM or HKG working, perhaps IAG would like to see all Asian traffic from Northern UK go via DUB rather than LHR?

think of UK based indians feeding in to dub on regional routes too rather than trekking to LHR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

think of UK based indians feeding in to dub on regional routes too rather than trekking to LHR

South Africa must also be a runner, not really much going back on yourself for UK regions.

Not long haul but would Moscow work? Could offer connections throughout Russia with S7.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Efficiency doesn't equal good customer service. There's been alot of Ryanair like reports on bad customer service too.

That's exactly my point! I said there are steps that would be very efficient, but that they wouldn't necessarily take due to impact on customer experience

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    South Africa must also be a runner, not really much going back on yourself for UK regions.

Not long haul but would Moscow work? Could offer connections throughout Russia with S7.

I doubt Russia ! They are a difficult country to cooperate with! EasyJet tried and failed to serve LON and MAN to Moscow, it didn't work so well..... If they can't do I doubt it's viable from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

A lot of East Coast and West Coast US major airports are covered by Aer Lingus. Texas is a big business centre with no direct link to Dublin. DFW or IAH would be a great link.

Maybe I'm just narrow minded but I just can't see Mumbai. It's a double daily route for BA ex LHR. Lots of more auK regional traffic connecting through the gulf. Just as EI couldn't make UAE flights work, I can't see Mumbai working without a significant O&D customer base to start from. Transfer passengers support this rather than create routes (except for ME3). I'd like to be to see a direct route to east Asia and particularly Hong Kong which was a monthly destination for me not so long ago. However, a daily flight would basically require 2 x A330s and I can't see that in the short term. IRL could provide maybe 30% of the daily passenger load and I'd bet HKG would mad at 20% of the destination. All else is connecting and there are better frequencies elsewhere.

I can see EI as part of the transatlantic JBA taking PHL from AA, adding MIA and LAX. Eastbound is slim pickings imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We've heard this all before from Air India regarding DUB and nothing ever came of it. Ethiopian on the other hand managed to follow through on their plans, something AI and PK (with regards to DUB and SNN respectively) can only aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Plus, don't you need permission from Indian gov to fly into any of their airports? Especially if it's gonna be in competition with Air India. I seem to recall an article a while back saying the India wouldn't allow Emirates use their A380's on Dubai-New Delhi route because of competition concerns against Air India.

I'd imagine EI wouldn't bother with that process unless it was a really attractive/popular route.

As for Texas routes, isn't the business majorly oil related? I can't see that happening with the way the oil price is going at the moment. Layoffs are going left, right and centre throughout the oil industry at the moment because of the price.

Honestly, it's a coin toss between West Coast (either Seattle, Vancouver or San Diego) or east Asia.

South America could be considered due to the large population of Brazilians in Ireland but I'm not sure if we have the rangel with the limited runway length in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

Rumours I heard so far were Hong Kong,Las Vegas,Mumbai,Miami

I think Miami and Las Vegas (if Los Angeles booking are holding up) would sit at the top if the list. Any expansion by EI would be undertaken in the context of the soon to be approved JV and the vicious battle between DL and and AA. CAPA did a review of this in 2015

I think all the decisions to date and publib mooting of MIA point to a strategy of overlapping the VS/DL alliance. Hence, EWR (which was surprise) and LAX both gave IAG increased overlap with VS, adding LAS and MIA would mean that EI would have the same foot print as VS and it can compete with VS without spoiling LHR yields.

Also press in the US is reporting that BDL bookings appear to be going well, PIT (where a EI transatlantic service could help AA settle outstanding issues with the airport operator), CMH (the US' fourth tech hub after AUS, BOS and SFO) could all be good opportunities under the JV both to offset DL but (so far if press reports are right) EI might be able to make these secondary cities in the NE work which have large summer seasonal traffic to Europe. The reason I raise these potential B757 routes is that things have been awfully quiet over at loss making Openskies...too quiet....

As for HKG, Cathay can be notoriously uncooperative, they may find a Chinese airline up in Beijing (China Eastern particularly) easier to deal with, BOM I think IAG's 10% shareholder QR may not be too keen on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

sandbelter wrote: »
    CMH (the US' fourth tech hub after AUS, BOS and SFO) could all be good opportunities under the JV both to offset DL but (so far if press reports are right) EI might be able to make these secondary cities in the NE work which have large summer seasonal traffic to Europe. The reason I raise these potential B757 routes is that things have been awfully quiet over at loss making Openskies...too quiet....

Would a 757 have the legs to do a DUB-CMH? Seems a bit of a stretch.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

DUB-CMH is 3,571 miles, less than the Openskies current ORY-EWR route which is 3,649 miles.

It's feasible from an engineering perspective, the question would be if it's financially viable.
    Given the Openskies is in a premium niche, I think FI's KEF-PDX (3,738miles) route is better benchmark as their B752's accommodate 183 passengers which could make it a good seasonal option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I heard the Mumbai route was to target the large Indian community in New York
    Communities are known for playing airlines against each other to get community funding, and EI dont have deep pockets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    Communities are known for playing airlines against each other to get community funding, and EI dont have deep pockets.

But IAG do

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

man98 wrote:
    Citywing have decided against operating Dublin - Derry so I've heard. A wise decision on their behalf imo.

Does anyone have any more info on this.Thanks

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote:
    Only flights Preclearing (or Aer Lingus) go through T2, all the rest, inc Air Canada, West Jet, Thomson, Ethiopian go through T1.

Do Ethihad and Emirates airlines use T1 or T2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Do Ethihad and Emirates airlines use T1 or T2

T2

VG31 wrote:
    T2

Thank you

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more info on this.Thanks

They applied for and received slots for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

sandbelter wrote: »
    I think Miami and Las Vegas (if Los Angeles booking are holding up) would sit at the top if the list. Any expansion by EI would be undertaken in the context of the soon to be approved JV and the vicious battle between DL and and AA. CAPA did a review of this in 2015

I think all the decisions to date and publib mooting of MIA point to a strategy of overlapping the VS/DL alliance. Hence, EWR (which was surprise) and LAX both gave IAG increased overlap with VS, adding LAS and MIA would mean that EI would have the same foot print as VS and it can compete with VS without spoiling LHR yields.

Also press in the US is reporting that BDL bookings appear to be going well, PIT (where a EI transatlantic service could help AA settle outstanding issues with the airport operator), CMH (the US' fourth tech hub after AUS, BOS and SFO) could all be good opportunities under the JV both to offset DL but (so far if press reports are right) EI might be able to make these secondary cities in the NE work which have large summer seasonal traffic to Europe. The reason I raise these potential B757 routes is that things have been awfully quiet over at loss making Openskies...too quiet....

As for HKG, Cathay can be notoriously uncooperative, they may find a Chinese airline up in Beijing (China Eastern particularly) easier to deal with, BOM I think IAG's 10% shareholder QR may not be too keen on that.

MIA makes a lot of sense ex Dublin given a lot of people use it as a transit point to the Carribean - especially with Cuba opening up. The Popes Children and subsequent generations love their exotic destinations! Wouldn't imagine traffic heading the other way would be great though? Maybe rich Floridian retirees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Heard an advert for a Newark ruote starting Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Does anybody know if there is or if there will be a direct Vegas route?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Doyler92 wrote: »

There's not and there's no publicly announced plans for one, and it's been discussed to absolute death here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Doyler92 wrote: »

Basically there wouldn't be enough passengers for this to be a runner as there isn't enough business passengers to make up the numbers and also it would be reliant on people doing return from Dublin as very few would fly Vegas to Dublin and back as Vegas is really a remote city so very few Americans would use it to access Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

salmocab wrote: »
    Basically there wouldn't be enough passengers for this to be a runner as there isn't enough business passengers to make up the numbers and also it would be reliant on people doing return from Dublin as very few would fly Vegas to Dublin and back as Vegas is really a remote city so very few Americans would use it to access Ireland.

A once per week flight might work as a tester?

Advertisement