Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A once per week flight might work as a tester?

That would create hassle with air crews as a plane in needs to leave a few hours later but would need a whole new crew so they either have been sitting in vegas for a week or also need to be flown in which is pretty impractical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

salmocab wrote: »
    That would create hassle with air crews as a plane in needs to leave a few hours later but would need a whole new crew so they either have been sitting in vegas for a week or also need to be flown in which is pretty impractical

Yeah, would take a bit of logistical movement to work, but not beyond doable. Crew from the SFO or LAX route could do the return if you work out the schedule to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For what it's worth, I do see that Thomson are running a few LAS flights from BFS.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

New Routes

Dublin to Atlanta with Delta
    Dublin to Vigo with Ryanair from April 3rd
    Dublin to Porto with Ryanair started April 1st
    Belfast to Alicante with Aerlingus staeted April 1st
    Belfast to Palma with Aerlingus from April 29th

See Skyscanner.ie and search for new routes. I'll try and post link later. I'm using my phone atm and it's not allowing me to copy and paste the link.

Heres the link

http://www.skyscanner.ie/news/airlines/new-flight-routes-this-month/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IE-2016-04-01&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_term=article-89a6f89cd984410e8068e30d7e921618&associateid=EML_TRA_00161_00029

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The idea that DUB-ATL is a new route is daft. This has been operated since the days of the Delta TriStars, via SNN originally, though sometimes with seasonal breaks in winter.

• Advertisement

Im just going by the article. Im not as aware of previous routes as others on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Im just going by the article. Im not as aware of previous routes as others on the thread.

It's not a previous route at all, its seasonal, just the same as for example Palma de Mallorca.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It's not a previous route at all, its seasonal, just the same as for example Palma de Mallorca.

Thanks, I presume the others are new or are they routes that have been reactivated or seasonal routes

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Thanks, I presume the others are new or are they routes that have been reactivated or seasonal routes

The rest of them are actually brand new routes, never commenced with that airline before.

Edit: actually no, Vigo and Alicante are new, Porto and Palma ran last year.

http://utv.ie/News/2016/04/02/US-routes-restored-from-Dublin-Airport-56737

Where are these coming from? Probably the biggest non-stories I have ever read.

"SEASONAL ROUTES RESUME:eek::eek:"

"THE SUN CAME OUT IN THE DAYTIME:confused::eek:"

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how this is different to EI's operations to EWR and LAX being announced and promoted as "new routes", and when I complained about that people grumbled at me. Slow news day I guess...

Noxegon wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this is different to EI's operations to EWR and LAX being announced and promoted as "new routes", and when I complained about that people grumbled at me. Slow news day I guess...

At least those routes were actually discontinued! The routes in the article above were never discontinued, and are just returning as they always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ryanair to start Dublin - Sofia in October 3 x weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The airline (Aer Lingus in the case of EWR and LAX) is perfectly entitled to call them new routes as they have long been discontinued by them and they are new routes for the airline.

The airport should refer to them as new services rather than new routes, as other airlines already serve those routes.

There is a difference between the two.

In the case of Atlanta above, it's a seasonal route that operates every summer. Just because it's suspended for the winter doesn't mean it's discontinued and then re-started, it's just seasonal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Its all marketing mumbo jumbo really.
    I get that the airport wants to promote the start of the new summer season...but please dont lie to us about these "new routes". Although granted, this could be the fault of the news reporters rather than the airport.
    As in the case of the relaunched routes, I think after 2-3 years they can qualify as "new routes/services". So EI (or anyone else) are allowed a little fanfare here, just dont be going overboard with it lads.
    (SFO/LAX were stopped in 2009, wasnt EWR stopped a lot earlier?)

This is getting a bit petty, but IMHO a route is a method of getting from 'A' to 'B'. The carrier that flies it is immaterial.

From dictionary.com –
    "a course, way, or road for passage or travel"

From Cambridge Dictionaries:
    "a ​particular way or ​direction between ​places"

To that end, as EWR is operated by United and LAX is operated by Ethiopian, neither are new routes. New services, perhaps – but not new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is getting a bit petty, but IMHO a route is a method of getting from 'A' to 'B'. The carrier that flies it is immaterial.

From dictionary.com –

"a ​particular way or ​direction between ​places"

To that end, as EWR is operated by United and LAX is operated by Ethiopian, neither are new routes. New services, perhaps – but not new routes.

I don't think it is being petty to be honest.

They are new routes for Aer Lingus, but new services for Dublin Airport.

That's to my mind an acceptable difference.

As I said above, I'd agree if DAA describe them as new routes then that's not correct, but it's perfectly ok for Aer Lingus to do so as they are new routes for the airline.

Unfortunately most journalists can't tell the difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lxflyer wrote: »

From dictionary.com

"a particular way or direction between places"

To that end, as EWR is operated by United and LAX is operated by Ethiopian, neither are new routes. New services, perhaps but not new routes.

I don't think it is being petty to be honest.

They are new routes for Aer Lingus, but new services for Dublin Airport.

That's to my mind an acceptable difference.

As I said above, I'd agree if DAA describe them as new routes then that's not correct, but it's perfectly ok for Aer Lingus to do so as they are new routes for the airline.

Unfortunately most journalists can't tell the difference between the two.

They are not new for the airline either!

Dont see the point of the discussion as whatever way you view it they are getting good marketing and thats what puts bums on seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

EI claim to of added 400,000 seats to the sun this winter, excluding a few thousand from Cork all ex DUB. I'm sure the net gain will be less when you balance out the other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read yesterday that Ryanair traffic was up 28% year on year for March! I also saw on Dublin airports twitter page, about how they are recruiting new staff as they hope to grow to 30,000,000 PAX by 2020! I reckon they will be 29,000,000+ this year alone!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I also saw on Dublin airports twitter page, about how they are recruiting new staff as they hope to grow to 30,000,000 PAX by 2020

That's a very disappointing goal, considering the immense growth DUB has seen lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its laughable, they are going to nearly hit it this year! I would expect they will be well over 35,000,000 by 2020!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That's a very disappointing goal, considering the immense growth DUB has seen lately.
    Its the nature of business growth and expansion, the low hanging fruit is picked easiest and most quickly.
    Growing 10-15% is great, growing another 15% after that is a lot harder.
    Some of the DUB growth was readjustment after the GFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Just been thinking about Iran Air's huge order of aircraft, how likely is it for us to see a Dublin-Tehran route in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Lockheed wrote: »
    Just been thinking about Iran Air's huge order of aircraft, how likely is it for us to see a Dublin-Tehran route in future?
    I certainly wouldn't rule it off the cards, but there is not a large Iranian community in Ireland, as far as I'm aware. The visa for Irish citizens wanting to go to Iran isn't too strict, however I can't find anything on Iranians wanting an Irish visa.

So, while it could happen, I imagine there are higher priorities right now than Dublin. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

dogcat wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't rule it off the cards, but there is not a large Iranian community in Ireland, as far as I'm aware. The visa for Irish citizens wanting to go to Iran isn't too strict, however I can't find anything on Iranians wanting an Irish visa.

So, while it could happen, I imagine there are higher priorities right now than Dublin. I could be wrong though.

The recent American changes to the VWP program that prohibits anyone who travels to Iran for applying to the VWP program for 5 years afterwards would be a major road block for this.

I was recently looking into a trip to Iran but cancelled it due to this; I didn't fancy having to go to the US embassy to attend an interview the next time I went to America. I would imagine a lot of leisure travelers (and possibly connecting passengers - depending on how they would be classified by the Americans) would be influenced in a similar way.

For reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/middle-east/iran/articles/Been-on-holiday-to-Iran-It-will-make-US-trips-more-expensive-and-stressful/

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Blut2 wrote: »
    The recent American changes to the VWP program that prohibits anyone who travels to Iran for applying to the VWP program for 5 years afterwards would be a major road block for this.

I was recently looking into a trip to Iran but cancelled it due to this; I didn't fancy having to go to the US embassy to attend an interview the next time I went to America. I would imagine a lot of leisure travelers (and possibly connecting passengers - depending on how they would be classified by the Americans) would be influenced in a similar way.

For reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/middle-east/iran/articles/Been-on-holiday-to-Iran-It-will-make-US-trips-more-expensive-and-stressful/
    Hmm, interesting point actually. Would leisure travellers try to circumvent this ban by using a different passport (I don't know if that would work), or would they even know of the ban? Either way if people really wanted to go to the US, they would just go to the embassy.

It's certainly very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

If you could do what the US citizens do for going to Cuba. They go via Canada and use a tourist card to enter Cuba. This issued by the Cubans so you don't have a Cuban stamp on your passport. It is illeagal for a US citizen to travel to Cuba without prior permission fro the US gov. This law has NOT been repealed controny to what many think now that Obama visited. You can be fined up to $250k for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

Given Dublin's growth run rate is currently growing at 17% (38% transatlantic) and EI is increasing capacity by 9% (17% transatlantic) it implies that EI's market share is falling.

Much of our focus has been on long haul, but I've seen press reports that FR is delivering 70% of the growth at DUB (Anna Aero, 3 Feb 16)

So, does anyone what's happening EI short haul and any further news on European routes and frequencies? Apart from the announced increase in winter sun routes to the Iberian peninsula, is there any shorter term strategies in place at EI to arrest their decline in market share? (seasonal European routes to go year round, use of BA Cityflyer as a stopgap, maybe more A320?

Advertisement