Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

davebuck wrote: »
    That route is only twice weekly the statement does quote daily and a major airline surely not Cobalt airlines??????

Apologies didn't read it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

davebuck wrote: »
    From Travel Extra email this morning.

Any ideas of the airline and city?

Quote:

A surprise route from Dublin from a major network carrier almost got announced on Tuesday. A room was booked in the Shelbourne Hotel. A time was set and a brief statement declared that “one of the world’s major airlines will announce that it is to launch a new daily service from Dublin Airport. In addition to strengthening Dublin and Ireland’s connectivity with important global markets, the route will generate millions of euro in visitor revenue, contributing to the overall Irish economy." .

KLM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

sandbelter wrote: »
    KLM?

I doubt it as EI codeshare with them on that flight.

I would like to see Austrian at Dublin but I reckon this is probably a Chinese airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

What about Air India? Haven't they been rumoured over and over again?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    What about Air India? Haven't they been rumoured over and over again?
    They were indeed, but that rumour died off a couple of years ago. And personally I wouldn't refer to them as a "major network carrier".
    I think the EK/EY connection have usurped any chances of a direct route to India. (Unless it was an IAG sponsored US-DUB-India route set up with guaranteed seat purchase from the Indian financial community in NY and India)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It has to be a long haul direct destination. A short hop destination within Europe is not headline/press conference news and such are announced routinely all the time without much fanfare.

I recall an article last year about Cathay Pacific considering a Hong Kong route. My money is on that or another Chinese route. I feel south east asia is also well served by the Gulf airlines so I don't believe its Bangkok/Singapore/KL either. The cancellation of last week's press conference definitely adds to the suspense!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Cathay to HK would be fantastic, I think China proper with one of the Chinese carriers is more likely though. Either one will be a good forward step for DUB at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

When is it to be announced? Tomorrow since I'm seeing reference to other posts saying Tuesday but I could be wrong?

Would South America be out of question? We do have a large population from South America if that counts?

A daily service would say to me Europe or North America, China would typically start at 3/4 a week and grow and I don't think Cathay would announce anything until there's a hard date for EI's return to Oneworld.

I read it as saying a new destination specifically "a new daily service", not necessarily a new carrier. So UA from SFO could meet that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My guess would have been Hainan Airlines to Beijing.

• Advertisement

All these suggestions of China, is a daily service viable?

The Independent is reporting that it's LIKELY to be Qatar, daily starting May '17. To be announced today.

[font=Georgia, serif][font=Georgia, serif]"Qatar-Dublin route next year[/font]
    Dublin Airport appears to be in line to get its latest service to the Middle East sooner than expected.

Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh said only a few weeks ago that the airline, now part of IAG, was considering either flying to the Middle East, or that Qatar Airways could begin flying to Dublin from Doha. Qatar Airways owns 15pc of IAG.[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]While Kavanagh said a link to the Middle East would be a medium-term project, it's almost now certain that Qatar will start flying the Dublin-Doha route next May.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]A major route announcement by the DAA for an unnamed service was postponed last week for, it's understood, logistical reasons. But it's likely the Qatar service - which will be daily - will be unveiled today.
    The route will effectively put Qatar Airways, pictured, in competition with Gulf rivals Etihad and Emirates, which serve Abu Dhabi and Dubai respectively from Dublin, with many passengers connecting to Australia, but also to other destinations in Asia. Just how Qatar's arrival will impact its rivals at Dublin remains to be seen."[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

sandbelter wrote: »
    Dublin Airport appears to be in line to get its latest service to the Middle East sooner than expected.

Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh said only a few weeks ago that the airline, now part of IAG, was considering either flying to the Middle East, or that Qatar Airways could begin flying to Dublin from Doha. Qatar Airways owns 15pc of IAG.[/font][/size]
    ."[/font][/size]

Lets hope Qatar continue their tradition on long haul routes and launch it with an A380 :D We could have a repeat of the incident in Atlanta a few weeks back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

I assume nothing has been done at DUB yet in relation to A380-capability ?

Tangey99 wrote: »
    I assume nothing has been done at DUB yet in relation to A380-capability ?

Thats why it would be funny!

Also KLM have just announced a twice daily service to Dublin!!! That couldn't have been the announcement cancelled last week if so :mad:

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-opent-lijndienst-naar-dublin

In English

http://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-service-to-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Fantastic news on KLM, given that it wasn't possible to do online checkin for EI flights connecting to KL long haul. That used to do my head in especially when i used to get emails saying "check in online now" only to click on the links and be told "you can't!"

That said, I do wonder now whether AMS will be over capacity what with five daily EI and four daily FR. Can the market support eleven flights a day?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Fantastic news on KLM, given that it wasn't possible to do online checkin for EI flights connecting to KL long haul. That used to do my head in especially when i used to get emails saying "check in online now" only to click on the links and be told "you can't!"

That said, I do wonder now whether AMS will be over capacity what with five daily EI and four daily FR. Can the market support eleven flights a day?

adding 400 seats a day, hardly a huge number, I do think you have hit on the reason, connections KLM trying to maintain market share of long haul, with the arrival of Emirates and IAG

Fattes wrote: »
    adding 400 seats a day, hardly a huge number, I do think you have hit on the reason, connections KLM trying to maintain market share of long haul, with the arrival of Emirates and IAG

It's 400 a day relatively soon after FR added 800 a day. Considering EI only ever had 1000 a day that's more than doubling capacity in a short period.

It's 400 a day relatively soon after FR added 800 a day. Considering EI only ever had 1000 a day that's more than doubling capacity in a short period.

Different target markets, KLM its a feeder route for long haul and probably regular business flyers. They will be happy to operate at lower pax if it is feeding into the wider network. You wont be using FR to Amsterdam if you are flying on somewhere else, unless you are an excellent packer. It certainly is a big jump in a short period of time but competitive pricing to an attractive destination might keep bums on seat and pax high enough.

Different target markets, KLM its a feeder route for long haul and probably regular business flyers. They will be happy to operate at lower pax if it is feeding into the wider network. You wont be using FR to Amsterdam if you are flying on somewhere else, unless you are an excellent packer. It certainly is a big jump in a short period of time but competitive pricing to an attractive destination might keep bums on seat and pax high enough.

Its again attacking EI's market, so it no longer has the transit or lesuire pax to itself.

The flights are operated by an E190, so 200 seats one way and 400 return.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its again attacking EI's market, so it no longer has the transit or lesuire pax to itself.

The flights are operated by an E190, so 200 seats one way and 400 return.

Embraer 190 has seat pax of around 115 per flight, biggest 190 has 130 seats, these flights will probably operate a 2 class structure so max 100 per flight.
    As for attacking EI market, perhaps if their offering and attitudes were better their market would be harder to erode.

As for attacking EI market, perhaps if their offering and attitudes were better their market would be harder to erode.

I have to agree with this. EI is a fairly miserable experience compared with KL.

I have to agree with this. EI is a fairly miserable experience compared with KL.

Its also a fairly cheap experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But if passengers are paying KLM fares for long haul flights that's kind of irrelevant.

lxflyer wrote: »
    But if passengers are paying KLM fares for long haul flights that's kind of irrelevant.

Which is why EI can't win here.

Which is why EI can't win here.

Do explain? If KLM sees a market for book through long hall flights and business class customers why would that effect EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every KLM flight I've been on has had a decent connection rate to my EI flight - I wonder how many passengers are O&D at all.

That may be, but I'm generally willing to pay a premium for better treatment.

For reference though the last time I had to go to Amsterdam the round trip on EI was around €400. I ended up travelling FR for half the price, and aside from boarding via stairs the experience was comparable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

That may be, but I'm generally willing to pay a premium for better treatment.
    You are in the minority though! The general travelling public just care about price, maybe if traveling for business timing coming into it, but the majority of passengers want cheap tickets and thus, EI and FR cater to this

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    You are in the minority though! The general travelling public just care about price, maybe if traveling for business timing coming into it, but the majority of passengers want cheap tickets and thus, EI and FR cater to this

EI are not that cheap, their service is low fares but their price is not, I don't want to drag this off topic but prices below. KLM are talking about an average of 100-150 per flight. Which makes them cheaper than EI with a better product.

For example Dub - Ams departing July 4 returning July 7

EI Eur 187-374 outbound and return 80-347 FR Eur 73-106 and 38-50

Advertisement