Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

roundymac wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but what will happen to Emirates A340 when they are taken out of service? Will they be parked in the desert and eventually turned in razor blades or is there life in them yet. Iknow 2 engines is the way to go, is there any hope for them? Swiss are also getting rid of their's.

Was it Air France that described the A340 as a flying fuel tank :D Dont see much future for them with any Airline, Swiss are getting rid of them and replacing them with 9 777-300er ordered (1 delivered) 5 Due in the next few months and then 1 in 2017 and one 2018.

You may see them take some of the Lufthansa A350 orders as the only reason they didnt order them was the waiting time apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LeakRate wrote: »
    United equipment upgrade on the ua22/23 over winter, will vary between 767 and 777.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267957/16jul16-update-united-w16-international-operation-changes/?platform=hootsuite
    Newark – Dublin 29OCT16 – 08MAR17 Service operates 1 daily instead of 2 daily, however operational aircraft switches from 757 to 767-400ER (777-200ER from 19DEC16 to 15FEB17 and from 28FEB17)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Airbus being the smarty pants that they are had a conference in London to discuss compensation. Reading between the lines of the various news sources it appears discounts were offered on newer airframes such as 330s and 350s as opposed to writing cheques for compensation per se. Time will tell if the original A340 customers remain loyal but to date things look pretty rosy with Virgin as an example taking up 330s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

basill wrote: »
    Airbus being the smarty pants that they are had a conference in London to discuss compensation. Reading between the lines of the various news sources it appears discounts were offered on newer airframes such as 330s and 350s as opposed to writing cheques for compensation per se. Time will tell if the original A340 customers remain loyal but to date things look pretty rosy with Virgin as an example taking up 330s.

Most airlines depreciate an aircraft over 25 years, A340 is in service since the early 90's so for some it will have no impact. In reality, orders have been in single digits since the mid 00's.

Virgin also took a number of A350 (12) as part of their upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Ryanair Investor call for Q1 2017 was released today and can be viewed from the Ryanair website.
    They mention that as a result of uncertainty over BREXIT they will be reducing flights in and out of Britain and Stansted was mentioned in particular.
    This didn't mean cutting routes but cutting frequency.

The silver lining must be that Ryanair will have more planes available to fly from Dublin and they have got to keep those birds flying.
    As UK is arguably over-served most people would be happier with a wider selection of flights to mainland Europe even if it means losing some frequency to the UK.

You can view the video yourself and come to your own conclusions.

BTW considering how **** the quarter was for other airlines they had a reasonably good quarter in that they kept some momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Airbus being the smarty pants that they are had a conference in London to discuss compensation. Reading between the lines of the various news sources it appears discounts were offered on newer airframes such as 330s and 350s as opposed to writing cheques for compensation per se
    Why would Airbus compensate an airline if they made a purchase decision that turned out less thab optimal decades later? Any airline flying the A340 presumably chose the A340 over the A332.
    I can see them offering hefty discounts on A330neo's or A350's to retain A340 customers, but why compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

737max wrote: »
    Ryanair Investor call for Q1 2017 was released today and can be viewed from the Ryanair website.
    They mention that as a result of uncertainty over BREXIT they will be reducing flights in and out of Britain and Stansted was mentioned in particular.
    This didn't mean cutting routes but cutting frequency.

The silver lining must be that Ryanair will have more planes available to fly from Dublin and they have got to keep those birds flying.
    As UK is arguably over-served most people would be happier with a wider selection of flights to mainland Europe even if it means losing some frequency to the UK.

You can view the video yourself and come to your own conclusions.

BTW considering how **** the quarter was for other airlines they had a reasonably good quarter in that they kept some momentum.

Any particular reason why other airlines didn't have a good quarter? Did something happen between Jan-Mar this year that I've forgotten about? With the exception of Brussels attacks of course but the only other reason I can think of is Easter was in April rather than March iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Why would Airbus compensate an airline if they made a purchase decision that turned out less thab optimal decades later? Any airline flying the A340 presumably chose the A340 over the A332.
    I can see them offering hefty discounts on A330neo's or A350's to retain A340 customers, but why compensation.

Airbus never delivered on agreed performance apparently. The 600s were supposedly "okay" but as fuel prices increased everyone moved towards twins. The 300s were under powered dogs that were significantly limited on climb performance and as a result burnt more petrol being stuck at lower altitudes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Airbus never delivered on agreed performance apparently. The 600s were supposedly "okay" but as fuel prices increased everyone moved towards twins. The 300s were under powered dogs that were significantly limited on climb performance and as a result burnt more petrol being stuck at lower altitudes.
    Wasnt aware of all of that. Thanks. I just thought that A340 entered market too late, as quads were becoming too fuel hungry. Thought it was a bad timing issue. I didnt realise that the actual published performance figures hadnt been achieved......well that is a reason for some compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The claim for the 340 was that it wasn't meant to have any significantly worse fuel burn than a twin. It did, though.

Double engine maintenance costs - RR have taken a hit on doing deals for support on the -500/-600 to mitigate this a bit though; as well as the 330 and 777 improving - were the killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

A lot of passengers still feel more reassured crossing the Atlantic on 4-engined aircraft. That should have been a good selling point for A340s.

A lot of passengers still feel more reassured crossing the Atlantic on 4-engined aircraft. That should have been a good selling point for A340s.

It was a selling point but it didn't work - passengers simply don't care as proven by the zero benefits of Virgin's 4Engines4Longhaul campaign. Which will be 2Engines soon as the 340s and 747s make way for 330s, 350s and 787s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How many of these pax are wiling to pay extra on their fares for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

I agree with the notion of feeling safer on 4 engines, but frankly how many people at the time of booking, have that as a consideration. Provided they get from A-B and it's a "good" price, they'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Really?? In that case there must be a lot of "less reassured" passengers around, as twins predominate on the Atlantic nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

In all fairness, how did you arrive at this conclusion? Is it a personal opinion, or have you empirical data to back it up?

The only way I have of backing up my next statement is based on my own experience. As a member of the great travelling unwashed (public), "I book my flight based on destination, price and the possibility of securing a decent seat on the plane concerned". That's it plain and simple!

If you were to expand on your own theory very few Irish people would be using EI to fly TAL as they have been using twin engined planes exclusively for over 20 years. EI last using Boeing 747-100, 4 engined planes in 1996.

Looks like FR are doing a little trimming to the winter schedule that was launched but would still expect an increase over last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tangey99 wrote: »
    I agree with the notion of feeling safer on 4 engines, but frankly how many people at the time of booking, have that as a consideration. Provided they get from A-B and it's a "good" price, they'll take it.

95% still can't recognise or take notice of the number of engines as they board the aircraft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Marcusm wrote: »
    Tangey99 wrote: »

95% still can't recognise or take notice of the number of engines as they board the aircraft.
    While observing a aircraft being turned around, my mother once asked me was that a pilot outside walking around the plane, Yes i told her he's doing his walk around/inspection of the engines, gear and aircraft in general.
    He walked back up the steps, and mum turns to me and asks why he didn't check the engine, I told her he did! She said to me " well he never opened the bonnet, I was watching him"
    She thought the aircrafts engine was in the nose cone below the FD window ! Says it all really....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Looks like FR are doing a little trimming to the winter schedule that was launched but would still expect an increase over last winter.

Any idea what they are trimming? UK flights?

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any idea what they are trimming? UK flights?

Most a yeah and with the odd freq chop one or two Euro routes during certain periods. Nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

rigmaroll wrote: »
    Is Dublin to Rygge with FR definitely finishing by Oct 30.

If so will It be replaced with Torp or will Norway no longer be served from Dublin

Just looked up FR's information on this (from serveral weeks ago). Looks like there won't be DUB - TRP route.
    They are moving about 8 of their (mostly Polish / Charter) routes to Torp, and launching two new routes from OSL to London STN & Vilnius.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/160601-oslo-rygge-base-closure-16-route-cancellations-after-norwegian-govt-introduces-environmentally-friendly-tax/?market=en

However no more base operations in Norway, and also alas, no DUB route. I am hopeful that they consider re-introducing a DUB flight (they had one at TRP before), since it was great to have a 3rd option to get back to Dublin (DY & SAS can get a bit pricey at times).

The flights used to be quite full, so maybe they'd be tempted. However, if they do re-launch a DUB route, I really do hope they run it from OSL instead of TRP. 'Oslo' Torp is probably one of the worst misnomers in Ryanair's network, and can be a blistering 2-3 hour bus ride away from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

"How many of these pax are wiling to pay extra on their fares for this? " [4-engine transatlantics]

I would pay a bit more and some would pay more than me, but that is based on personal experience only.

A relative of mine once quit a steward's job on Aer Lingus when A330s replaced 747s, for that reason.

"How many of these pax are wiling to pay extra on their fares for this? " [4-engine transatlantics]

I would pay a bit more and some would pay more than me, but that is based on personal experience only.

A relative of mine once quit a steward's job on Aer Lingus when A330s replaced 747s, for that reason.

You are probably 1 in 1000 transatlantic passengers who'd be willing to pay more for an extra engine! 99% of pax don't no nor care about the type of or number of engines their plane has! Price is number one, Seat comfort and inflight entertainment may come into it after that but again if the price is right that would be sacrificed, the flying public are extremely price sensitive, and airlines know this, this lowering cost by moving to more efficient twin engine jets.

Strange, when they'd already used 767s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Locker10a wrote: »
    Price is number one, Seat comfort and inflight entertainment may come into it after that but again if the price is right that would be sacrificed

To be fair, the travelling public from Ireland doesn't get any choice in that regard.

I'm a big guy, and consequentially I'd happily pay a bit more for a guaranteed 34" pitch in economy. Exit row is some way towards what I want of course, but I'd rather not have the hassle of everything into the overhead locker.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Price is number one, Seat comfort and inflight entertainment may come into it after that but again if the price is right that would be sacrificed

To be fair, the travelling public from Ireland doesn't get any choice in that regard.

I'm a big guy, and consequentially I'd happily pay a bit more for a guaranteed 34" pitch in economy. Exit row is some way towards what I want of course, but I'd rather not have the hassle of everything into the overhead locker.
    I don't really see how the travelling publis in Ireland don't get a choice ! There are multiple airlines flying from Ireland offering different prices and products!
    You paying extra for a more comfortable seat is exactly my point, people want cheap tickets, after they are attracted by price, they then look at things like seating, entertainment and maybe timing, but certainly not aircraft type or number of engines !

Noxegon wrote: »

I don't really see how the travelling publis in Ireland don't get a choice ! There are multiple airlines flying from Ireland offering different prices and products!
    You paying extra for a more comfortable seat is exactly my point, people want cheap tickets, after they are attracted by price, they then look at things like seating, entertainment and maybe timing, but certainly not aircraft type or number of engines !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

He's referring to the aircraft type regarding how many engines it has. Ireland doesn't get any 4 engine aircraft on scheduled routes. It does come in for a charter but that's very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    He's referring to the aircraft type regarding how many engines it has. Ireland doesn't get any 4 engine aircraft on scheduled routes. It does come in for a charter but that's very rare.

Let me introduce you to my friend Cityjet.

Advertisement