Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

man98 wrote: »
    Let me introduce you to my friend Cityjet.

Are they still around? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A lot of passengers still feel more reassured crossing the Atlantic on 4-engined aircraft. That should have been a good selling point for A340s.

Apart from airplane enthusiasts and possibly some those that frequently visit this forum, I'm pretty certain the vast (99%) percentage of passengers are completely oblivious to how many engines a plane has and it would have absolutely no bearing on passenger route selection. The fact a friend of yours quit his job as an air steward over 2 engine aircraft suggests flying phobia and an unfortunate career choice!

Saying that, I do know people who are nervous flying in small propeller engine planes vs jets but that is more due to the noise/size and genuine vulnerability passengers can feel cooped up in such smaller aircraft. Jets are jets for most people regardless of their composition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Noxegon

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    He's referring to the aircraft type regarding how many engines it has

Actually, I was referring to the seat comfort factor, but more specifically to short haul, where the vast majority of routes out of Ireland are operated by Aer Lingus and Ryanair, who offer essentially a very similar product that is completely standard across the fleet.

If you want something better/more comfortable then you need to connect through a hub airport somewhere else – so yes, the travelling public in Ireland really doesn't have a choice.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Actually, I was referring to the seat comfort factor, but more specifically to short haul, where the vast majority of routes out of Ireland are operated by Aer Lingus and Ryanair, who offer essentially a very similar product that is completely standard across the fleet.

If you want something better/more comfortable then you need to connect through a hub airport somewhere else – so yes, the travelling public in Ireland really doesn't have a choice.

I cant imagine anyone taking a short haul flight (typically 3 hours or less direct) would seriously entertain the notion of forgoing the direct flight to changing flights at another hub and increasing their end to end journey time by a minimum of 50% just for a bit of extra leg room or superior food/entertainment offerings or whatever constitutes "better". Apart from a significantly cheaper fare flight that is. I'd agree with your post for long haul flights however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So, new Dublin routes...

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So, new Dublin routes...

Maybe try asking that in the New Dublin routes topic...................oh wait !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Locker10a wrote: »
    Price is number one, Seat comfort and inflight entertainment may come into it after that but again if the price is right that would be sacrificed, the flying public are extremely price sensitive, and airlines know this, this lowering cost by moving to more efficient twin engine jets.

Is inflight really an factor at all any more? It certainly was in the past when our alternative was a book. And it was nice to have a few new movies on offer that hadnt even reached your Xtravision yet, and they were impressive to play with as they began to offer mountains of music, classic tv series, etc. But in the days of laptops, mobiles, and tablets (or all three!) in the hand luggage of practically everyone getting on a long haul flight, is anyone really too bothered whether there is IFO these days ?

Is it likely that any more new routes will be announced for 2016 considering only 4.5 months remaining in the year? I understand there normally has to be a lead in time of many months to enable sufficient marketing and promotion of a route between announcement and launch date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is inflight really an factor at all any more? It certainly was in the past when our alternative was a book. And it was nice to have a few new movies on offer that hadnt even reached your Xtravision yet, and they were impressive to play with as they began to offer mountains of music, classic tv series, etc. But in the days of laptops, mobiles, and tablets (or all three!) in the hand luggage of practically everyone getting on a long haul flight, is anyone really too bothered whether there is IFO these days ?

Head over to the BA forums on Flyertalk and see the debate rage about whether a particular 777 has the updated Rockwell Collins IFE or the original Thales system and similar debates. Many will disagree but there is still a large cohort who will be influenced by IFE or perceptions about IFE.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A relative of mine once quit a steward's job on Aer Lingus when A330s replaced 747s, for that reason.
    I know many in EI missed the B747s when they left service, but quitting a (then) sought after job due to change of aircraft type seems overly dramatic. I think early retirement and a generous package as part of the 1996 Cahill Plan may have been the deciding factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Flybe will begin a 6 times weekly service to DSA form 30 October replacing Aer Lingus

Sunway will operate a weekly charter to Agadir from 23 December. ASL currently down to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 c773er

Newark – Dublin Revised operational aircraft changes for 757 replacements until March 2017, including the addition of 767-400ER, in addition to previously planned -300ER and 777
    29OCT16 – 03JAN17 Boeing 767-400ER
    04JAN17 – 15FEB17 Boeing 767-300ER
    16FEB17 – 27FEB17 Boeing 767-400ER
    28FEB17 – 08MAR17 Boeing 777-200ER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I seen Ryanair are making an announcement on Thursday about their winter routes? Are they adding more or increasing frequency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I seen Ryanair are making an announcement on Thursday about their winter routes? Are they adding more or increasing frequency?

If its winter I doubt anything new will be added.
    If you mean summer, then I'd say both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If its winter I doubt anything new will.be added.
    If you mean summer, then I'd say both.

They could well make a supplementary announcement at this stage for Winter

---

Turkish reducing from 14 to 10 pw

They could well make a supplementary announcement at this stage for Winter

---

Turkish reducing from 14 to 10 pw

Its rare, airports highly slot restricted like AMS are the exception, so unless CDG is announced I doubt there'll be any new routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Did the other North American route start or is it due to start? Can remember the exact name, think it began with a B though.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Did the other North American route start or is it due to start? Can remember the exact name, think it began with a B though.

I had forgotten too, but a quick Wikipedia told me "Hartford-Springfield (begins 28 September 2016", aka "Bradley International Airport". Alternatively search the Aer Lingus website.

Also yet to start is Newark, which starts Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I had forgotten too, but a quick Wikipedia told me "Hartford-Springfield (begins 28 September 2016", aka "Bradley International Airport". Alternatively search the Aer Lingus website.

Also yet to start is Newark, which starts Thursday!

That's the one!

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    That's the one!

Will certainly be interesting to see how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I would be surprised if ryanair are only announcing details of their winter schedule which as has been noted here has been trimmed slightly from when first released.
    On their app at least, flights for the summer are showing but are not bookable yet so I would be more inclined to think it is in relation to their summer 17 schedule. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭davebuck

Stevek101 wrote: »

Any news yet?

davebuck wrote: »
    Any news yet?

-3% seats out of Dublin due to DAA's route expansion scheme running out.

RYANAIR LAUNCHES IRISH S17 SCHEDULE WILL CARRY OVER 14M C’MERS TO/FROM IRELAND AT LOWER FARES AS BREXIT WEAKENS UK VISITOR NUMBERS
    01 Sep 2016
    Ireland’s favourite airline, today (1 Sept) launched its Irish S17 schedule, which will deliver over 14m customers to/from Ireland at lower fares in 2017. There will be increased flights and frequencies at Shannon and Cork but a small reduction in seats at Dublin as the DAA withdraws growth incentives.

Ryanair, which has delivered over 70% of the traffic growth at Dublin in 2014, 2015 and 2016, will now switch 3% of seats away from Dublin to lower cost airports elsewhere in Europe.

Ryanair’s Irish S17 schedule will see more frequencies to sun destinations for summer family holidays, lower fares as Ryanair passes on lower fuel costs, and an even better customer experience, as it rolls out year 3 of its “Always Getting Better” customer experience programme.

Dublin

Additional sun frequencies - Palma (2 daily), Reus (2 daily) & Tenerife (daily)
    85 routes in total
    12m customers p.a. (down 3%)
    9,000* on-site jobs
    Shannon

More flights to Lanzarote (2 weekly)
    14 routes in total
    Over 700,000 customers p.a.
    540* on-site jobs
    Cork

More flights to Lanzarote (5 weekly) and Malaga (5 weekly)
    17 routes in total
    860,000 customers p.a.
    650* on-site jobs
    Knock

12 routes in total
    570,000 customers p.a.
    Up to 400* on-site jobs
    Kerry

5 routes in total
    270,000 customers p.a.
    Up to 200* on-site jobs
    Ryanair will continue to be Ireland’s number one airline, connecting Dublin with major leisure and business centres on high frequency, low fare services including Amsterdam (4 daily), Berlin (2 daily), Brussels (3 daily), London (17 daily) and Madrid (3 daily), with better timings and lower fares, making Ryanair the ideal choice for Irish business and leisure customers.

In Dublin, Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs said:

“We are pleased with this early launch date of our Irish summer 2017 schedule with more frequency to sun destinations at lower fares, making family holidays even more affordable. It’s a pity the DAA chose to discontinue its growth incentive into 2017, which means that Dublin Airport is becoming uncompetitive, and which incentivizes Ryanair to switch growth to other lower cost airports in Europe.

In the meantime, customers can look forward to even lower fares when they make advance bookings for summer 2017. As our recent results confirmed, Ryanair expects average fares in 2016 to fall by between 8% to 10%, and early indications are that these price reductions will continue into the first quarter of 2017 as well. We urge all customers who wish to book their summer 2017 holidays to do so now on the Ryanair.com website, where they can avail of the lowest fare air travel to and from Ireland.”

- See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/16901-ryanair-launches-irish-s17-schedule-will-carry-over-14m-c-mers-to-from-ireland-at-lower-fares-as-brexit-weakens-uk-visitor-numbers/?market=ie#sthash.6TIsOV1G.dpuf

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/16901-ryanair-launches-irish-s17-schedule-will-carry-over-14m-c-mers-to-from-ireland-at-lower-fares-as-brexit-weakens-uk-visitor-numbers/?market=ie

Not much of a reduction giving the brexit vote etc. I'm sure they're aware Aer Lingus will fill any serious capacity void if they did decide to cancel routes over charges.

Most cuts are to UK routes and then you have the loss of thousands of passengers that were at the euro's this year and no matter how much they brag about falling fares not good for the company either.

Aer Lingus will more than off set it.

This has little to do with charges but the exceptionally low UK fares offered by them.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Most cuts are to UK routes and then you have the loss of thousands of passengers that were at the euro's this year and no matter how much they brag about falling fares not good for the company either.

Aer Lingus will more than off set it.

This has little to do with charges but the exceptionally low UK fares offered by them.

Thought as much just the usual rubbish released to the media.

davebuck wrote: »
    Thought as much just the usual rubbish released to the media.

It's why you pay big bucks for a marketing team, now i'm sure they are not pleased the daa finished the scheme but if decent profit was to be made it wouldn't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's a bit disappointing to be honest. But I think most of that reduction is from UK flights.

Judging by MOL's comments they seem to be leaving the door open for further expansion if the daa continues its growth incentive scheme in 2017.

Advertisement