Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adopting a dog

• 01-09-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if anyone has some advice on adopting a pup or dog. We have a medium sized enclosed back garden, and I am a stay at home mum and walk everyday if not every second day. We have a daughter who is almost two and loves animals and has been around cats and dogs since she was born. Anyway, we are thinking of adopting a dog or pup as my other half is away every second or third weekend with work and I'm paranoid about a break in as there has been two break ins on our road in the last 8 months or so and I'd love the company and my daughter would too! We always had thought about getting a dog but wanted to wait until our daughter was old enough. So my question is what kind of breeds could we think about? And would our circumstances suit adopting a dog in your opinion? Appreciate any advice, opinions etc. we just want to be sure it's the right decision!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I think the first questions you will be asked when adopting from most shelters are: is your garden wall over 6 foot (ie secure) and will the dog be left on their own for large portion of the day. If you pass that then it will depend on the dog. The dog will be expected to be taken for a walk at least once a day, depending on breed again this may require more. Most dog breeds are adaptable enough to live anywhere, it depends on how much exercise and mental stimulation you can provide. Once around the block would not be sufficient for say a husky. Most breeds can get on with children, it will be up to the individual dog and how it was raised. A large dog could easily knock over a 2 year old even if they don't mean it, a pup could nip at her too so it is all down to exposure and temperament of the dog. A shelter where they foster dogs in their own home will know how the dog will be with children and other dogs most likely so they are the people to talk to. Find what shelter is local to you and contact them. Most have email or facebook account if you want to go that route, but note most are ran by volunteers so they may have a day job so don't expect an immediate reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Thank you for your reply, our back garden wall is well over 6ft and I am home all day except for doing a good shop etc where I would be out for an hour. I walk about an hour most days so the dog would have an hours walk minimum then. I will contact some local shelters to see what they recommend or think. Thanks again.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    I think the first questions you will be asked when adopting from most shelters are: is your garden wall over 6 foot (ie secure) and will the dog be left on their own for large portion of the day. If you pass that then it will depend on the dog. The dog will be expected to be taken for a walk at least once a day, depending on breed again this may require more. Most dog breeds are adaptable enough to live anywhere, it depends on how much exercise and mental stimulation you can provide. Once around the block would not be sufficient for say a husky. Most breeds can get on with children, it will be up to the individual dog and how it was raised. A large dog could easily knock over a 2 year old even if they don't mean it, a pup could nip at her too so it is all down to exposure and temperament of the dog. A shelter where they foster dogs in their own home will know how the dog will be with children and other dogs most likely so they are the people to talk to. Find what shelter is local to you and contact them. Most have email or facebook account if you want to go that route, but note most are ran by volunteers so they may have a day job so don't expect an immediate reply.

Advertisement