Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    Took this a year ago today from the Giro Dublin stage :)

Christ - my memory is worse than I thought

We held it 2 years in a row?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ - my memory is worse than I thought

We held it 2 years in a row?

:pac:

Have you ever banged your head? Maybe in a crash or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Zyzz wrote: »
    Took this a year ago today from the Giro Dublin stage :)

Their suntans were hugely impressive

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    Have you ever banged your head? Maybe in a crash or something?
    Dunno. Have I?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't know if this one's been posted before, but it seriously got my respect.

https://www.facebook.com/StudioMTB/videos/496521250535009/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Rob - you seen the new line Assos are producing? - looks right up your street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Jawgap wrote: »

Pretty sure there is a specific thread about this and posted by the offender.

Mounting biking? RTE with their finger on the pulse once again. Anyone going to the Enduro event at the weekend, looks epic? Hoping to get down myself to watch a bit.

385817.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^
    I'm heading down on Sunday.
    Should be a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am so completely fncked this year.

From January to the start of April we were getting various bits of work done on the house. As a result we were in and out of the house, staying with the in-laws for the guts of eight weeks. All those wonderful plans of getting out for club spins didn't happen. In fact, I ended up driving to work half the time, not even getting those base KMs in. Managed to get a baseline of running in though to keep the fitness up. But I am 2kg heavier as a result of eating all sorts of crap at strange hours.

After a few more messy weeks (changed job, went on holidays, etc), I finally got back to cycling to work on Monday this week. And I arrive home that evening with a chest cold.

Are you fncking kidding me.

So I am going to race the club league, but I don't expect to even hold with the bunch and especially not beat any of my TT PRs. Though I am doing the ROK with a bunch of fairweather cyclists. So that's something to look forward to, should give me an ego boost :p

seamus wrote: »
    I am so completely fncked this year.

Similar enough story here, mostly due to work, but also chest infection, family, etc... On the plus side the sun is out, due to be a good weekend, and you can only start from where you're at. Hoping to get a long one in tomorrow to see if I've a chance in hell of making it around the WW200 course in a couple of weeks. Stuggled a bit with Wicklow and Sally gaps last weekend, so we'll see what Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot bring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rob - you seen the new line Assos are producing? - looks right up your street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody here in the Dublin 8 area fancy a spin 80-100kms on Sunday? I'm too late to join a club apparently and fed up of solo. I'm at about 27km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Anybody here in the [B]Dublin 8 [/B]area fancy a spin 80-100kms on Sunday? I'm too late to join a club apparently and fed up of solo. I'm at about 27km/h

If you are heading out for 100k you can be less specific than Dublin 8 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the phoenix park is in D8. you could circle that for several hours...

Fian wrote: »
    If you are heading out for 100k you can be less specific than Dublin 8 :)

Starting and finishing in around that area. Don't be annoying me it's Friday and I'm busy here :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Never to late to join a club surely, plenty clubs with social spins.

manafana wrote: »
    Never to late to join a club surely, plenty clubs with social spins.

Reading some stuff and it's saying beginners need to wait

Reading some stuff and it's saying beginners need to wait

For each other?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    For each other?

:(

Saying beginners to groups can 9nly join in october

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

most clubs glad to have anyone, if your able for 100km, then your able for social spins and you get better each week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Quick question with regards to hill climb time trials. Are points allocated to the first 6 in each category or simply the top 6 overall?

The background to that was clubs would run introductory spins ahead of the CI portal opening up early November. Basically club spins require insurance cover which after a couple of introductory spins would only typically be available via CI or IVCA membership. In addition getting the introductory spins in at that time of year would allow new members to build up over the winter when racing members would be easing off a bit (and often available to lead a few more spins)

However this year CI have introduced a rolling leisure membership meaning new members are not having to join up for calendar years. That provides more scope to encourage new members at pretty much any time during the year

However it may take a year or two for some clubs to change their old habits and start running introductory spins at time other than the around autumn.

The background to that was clubs would run introductory spins ahead of the CI portal opening up early November. Basically club spins require insurance cover which after a couple of introductory spins would only typically be available via CI or IVCA membership. In addition getting the introductory spins in at that time of year would allow new members to build up over the winter when racing members would be easing off a bit (and often available to lead a few more spins)

However this year CI have introduced a rolling leisure membership meaning new members are not having to join up for calendar years. That provides more scope to encourage new members at pretty much any time during the year

However it may take a year or two for some clubs to change their old habits and start running introductory spins at time other than the around autumn.

Thanks for the clarification. I have no issue with it at all, but I do want to start to get faster and I know doing that alone will take longer. That's why I came here looking for a helping hand :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks for the clarification. I have no issue with it at all, but I do want to start to get faster and I know doing that alone will take longer. That's why I came here looking for a helping hand :D

The clubs to try are (and there maybe others):

Sundrive - do a lot of track riding and not sure how they are on leisure riding, but they have plenty of members on here to ask who are all very helpful.
    SDCC - I don't know enough about their beginner groups but they seem racing orientated
    Tiernans - have two spins every weekend, vary in length but have a begineer/tourer group, and a faster race orientated one. Always welcoming (hands up bias as a member)
    Orwell - huge club, plenty of support, rides appear to only be once a month during the summer though, they may hold less official spins every week based on the clubs side, loads of members on here as well, (rumour has it you need a PhD to join :pac:)
    Audax - not south Dublin based but many of their members are, any weekend there is not an Audax event, they tend to have a 100km spin somewhere around Dublin. Very welcoming and love to impart knowledge, not a racing group but definetly the club to go to if you want to up your mileage over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Quick question with regards to hill climb time trials. Are points allocated to the first 6 in each category or simply the top 6 overall?

No points for TTs, except within stage races or National Champs. There it's points for first six overall.

See pg 22-23 of http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/rules2016v23.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's a question of availability - when the season is in full swing, how do you ask someone to miss the Shay Elliot to take someone on a 30km spin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    The clubs to try are (and there maybe others):

Sundrive - do a lot of track riding and not sure how they are on leisure riding, but they have plenty of members on here to ask who are all very helpful.

Sundrive have no leisure division, I'd say 90% of us race. But if you're interested in track come along and do your accreditation. Not everyone who trains on a Saturday races, although the vast majority do. You'll want to to if you get going at it!

I thought Orwell did beginner spins all the time? I really don't know in fairness. Anyone I've met from Tiernans and SDCC have been lovely, as have the few audax people I've met.

I suppose it's about what you want to do. Road clubs will have leisure divisions and different levels of spins (our official Sunday spins stop when racing starts as that's where people are of a Sunday), racing, and touring groups. They have more road based variety (obvs!).

Can you still do the spins before joining? Maybe do a different club each time!

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    It's a question of availability - when the season is in full swing, how do you ask someone to miss the Shay Elliot to take someone on a 30km spin?

Nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement