Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nicely.
    @ lollipopjimmy
    We (Lucan) have a roster published well in advance for the year so swaps are easy. The only group that had two allocated members per week is the 60km group. After that there are two to three other groups where members pick and choose from arranged or on the fly routes.

We always welcome people to come along.

Blanch wheelies are another club worth considering. They go from the Strawberry Hall.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    It's a question of availability - when the season is in full swing, how do you ask someone to miss the Shay Elliot to take someone on a 30km spin?
    My club has plenty of leisure members perfectly capable of leading beginner spins over the summer

As I alluded to earlier though I suspect most clubs have not fully thought through the way the membership system now works for those not wanting a racing licence....

....yet

It may be that over the next few years time summer beginner spins take off with some clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Orwell certainly do plenty of leisure spins over the summer, most are just members doing ad-hoc organisation though.

Not talking for the club here, but nobody is going to tell a newbie to go away if they turn up for one of these spins.

Aside from racing the other issue is probably that small cliques have formed of people with similar abilities who've been riding since October. A complete newbie will be way behind them and disrupt their pace.

But I agree with Beauty; as clubs gather more members who have no interest in racing, they'll have to think about opening up a half year membership in the summer or something. Anyone I know who's tried to start with a club has found it incredible that you have to try and start off when the weather is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

gadetra wrote: »
    Can you still do the spins before joining? Maybe do a different club each time!

The three spins rules is CI-wide, you're only insured for three spins total with CI clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    My club has plenty of leisure members perfectly capable of leading beginner spins over the summer

The same principle applies - would they mind missing the Wicklow 200 or the Ring of Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    The same principle applies - would they mind missing the Wicklow 200 or the Ring of Kerry?

You'd swear that there were demands for racers to give up racing and others to give up leisure events to lead the spins. Surely these people whom you hold to being put out by being asked to lead a spin (and how dare anyone ask them to interrupt their already much overloaded and very important cycling schedule) don't have events to go to every single weekend of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

385928.jpg

?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

seamus wrote: »
    But I agree with Beauty
    Very unfortunate typo there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    385928.jpg

?!

You'd need to watch out for those wooden barriers/fences. They could decapitate a person

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    Very unfortunate typo there!
    He knew what he was typing.....

We just did a Corkagh Park session for the U14s. Probably do another in a month or so. CI allowed us to issue 1 day licences free of charge for anyone not already a member. For an U14 they can get a CI racing licence for a fiver and in our case club membership comes free.

This is the ideal time of year to get youngsters involved, and we may put on to "beginner" youth road spins for those who show sufficient ability. Yes it needs someone to spend a bit of time organising and supervising things, but it's not going to impair my racing opportunities and training wise turns into something akin to a recover spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

tomasrojo wrote: »
    385928.jpg

?!

Does that rack work at all apart from the ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

De Bhál wrote: »
    Does that rack work at all apart from the ends?

Of course, either by wheeling the bike straight in and securely locking a wheel, or exactly like the person has done but locking the frame like at a Sheffield stand. Should be room for a few bikes lifted over.

I'm guessing it's meant for locking wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd need to watch out for those wooden barriers/fences. They could decapitate a person

I still get a good chuckle every time I pass that fence in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

traprunner wrote: »
    Weepsie wrote: »

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's one fine looking morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alek wrote: »
    Why?

He laughs in the face of Danger

That was the best thread going in its day!

That was a great thread. I wonder what the impalement stats are.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    He laughs in at the faence of Danger
    FYP

Anyone thinking of cycling down Avondale Road in Glenageary/Killiney be careful. There is a load of small screws in the cycle track at the near the Arnold Grove junction. Immediately past the bus stop just here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.271869,-6.1276109,3a,75y,26.69h,64.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTJhfuV-ahNFIvYm-A1m9pw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I didn't see them until I was going through them but thankfully I didn't go over any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Anyone thinking of cycling down Avondale Road in Glenageary/Killiney be careful. There is a load of small screws in the cycle track at the near the Arnold Grove junction. Immediately past the bus stop just here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.271869,-6.1276109,3a,75y,26.69h,64.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTJhfuV-ahNFIvYm-A1m9pw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I didn't see them until I was going through them but thankfully I didn't go over any.

please report that to both the gardai and the council

manafana wrote: »

I already reported it to the council and to their road cleaning section separately. I never thought about the gardai as I just assumed it was accidental.

manafana wrote: »

Just called the gardai and spoke to a very nice garda. He's going to send someone up to have a look and also contact the council emergency service for a clean up.

Just called the gardai and spoke to a very nice garda. He's going to send someone up to have a look and also contact the council emergency service for a clean up.

cool always best when its possible done on purpose to contact gardai who can maybe follow it up if it becomes a multiple occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Disgusted by the state of the Phoenix Carpark today, gridlock and the place was littered with giant aluminium obesity wheelchairs.

Access for cars beyond Chesterfield Avenue should be greatly restricted and pay/disability pass access only.

Disgusted by the state of the Phoenix Carpark today, gridlock and the place was littered with giant aluminium obesity wheelchairs.

Access for cars beyond Chesterfield Avenue should be greatly restricted and pay/disability pass access only.

quiet right but won't change some mess not enjoyable to cycle around for anyone

I drove through the Pheonix Park yesterday. Ice cream van parked in bike track (section near Parkgate St. with no car parking). Another ice cream van parked up further amongst the cars. Queue was on the bike track and about 40 people long. Dozens and dozens of dawdlers (couldn't even call them walkers) on the bike tracks. It's just wrong! Something needs to be done soon.

• Advertisement

I drove through the Pheonix Park yesterday. Ice cream van parked in bike track (section near Parkgate St. with no car parking). Another ice cream van parked up further amongst the cars. Queue was on the bike track and about 40 people long. Dozens and dozens of dawdlers (couldn't even call them walkers) on the bike tracks. It's just wrong! Something needs to be done soon.

I'd have said that it would take a death to sort it out but sadly even that appears to have had zero effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement