Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Bike mine. I like it but it should shoot in the foot to teach the thief a lesson! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673350631/bike-mine-the-ultimate-alarm-to-protect-your-preci

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The absolute dross that passes for journalism these days is sad. I guess it's more an opinion piece than journalism but it's basically just a rant and a crap one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Irish motorists have played a very large part in slashing road deaths over the past decade
    Very decent of them. Who was killing all those people? We should ask them to play a larger part next. Not fair for the motorists to be doing all the heavy lifting.

He managed to miss the point about the parking and the #freethecyclelanes initiative. It's completely obvious rule-flouting that incurs no penalty whatsoever, and in fact by giving rule-breakers free parking is an indirect subsidy for use of vans to do deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I stopped reading at 'flaunt the rules'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have "the rules" embroidered in gold stitching across the arse of my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

removed due to circularity of argument

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I have "the rules" embroidered in gold stitching across the arse of my shorts.

I thought that was just a skidmark ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    I thought that was just a skidmark ...

Everything he sh1ts turns to gold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Everything he sh1ts turns to gold.
    That explains the polar views on what comes out of his mouth :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Who said Australia wasn't cycle-friendly?

https://goo.gl/maps/n2bEHsztvbr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

At the ci nutrition seminar presented in association with ndc. Wonder if they will recommend drinking milk :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone know how strava calculates calories burned? two near identical cycles - same route, one done at 26kph, one done at 25.7kph average, the faster one was calculated at 378 calories and the slower one at 458. do they just pluck a figure out of the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lennymc wrote: »
    At the ci nutrition seminar presented in association with ndc. Wonder if they will recommend drinking milk :)

Turned out to be quite informative! Fair play to ci and ndc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

anyone know how strava calculates calories burned? two near identical cycles - same route, one done at 26kph, one done at 25.7kph average, the faster one was calculated at 378 calories and the slower one at 458. do they just pluck a figure out of the air?

Not really.. but yes :D

There are some maths related to avg speed and body weight but it's not the most reliable number in my experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckoned it was never going to be accurate, but i had assumed they'd be consistent in their inaccuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i reckoned it was never going to be accurate, but i had assumed they'd be consistent in their inaccuracy.

dont HR and celcius play a part in it, but yeah its far from exact science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

manafana wrote: »

The weight of the bike has a very heavy weighting in the strava calculation

manafana wrote: »
    I don't have a heart rate monitor. All Strava has is the GPS data and my weight. Didn't know they took in weather info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

gadetra wrote: »

Left-hand drive? Motors? Someone will win a major bicycle race on a Suzuki in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think it's great! I haven't heard of this much research and innovation going into a high performance bike for women specifically.

It also looks class (slack chain notwithstanding!). Like a knife.
    I'd totally ride it!

Why are bikes right hand drive in the first place as a matter of interest?

I asked about the right-hand drive thing before. Think it's because of standard of screwing things on righty-tighty (old screw-on freewheel would come off if on left, for example, unless non-standard thread used to make it lefty-tighty). Motorbikes are the opposite because clutch requires the space on the right. Or something. I don't know how motorbikes work. I will soon though, because bicycles are turning into motorbikes, as I said.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »

That will completely turn around the "Images of Beauty" thread;)

Wonder if others will follow suit post Rio. Justifies me holding off an upgrade anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Garmin Connect often gives twice the calories burned as Strava on the same activity! :rolleyes:

one reason i half trusted strava was that if you go to any online calculator and put in say, one hour of cycling at 25kph, it would tell you you'd burned double the calories strava would calculate for it. and i just found the lower figure more believable; but it was interesting how consistent it was, that the strava estimate is typically half found anywhere else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've just had this new awful boards hoisted upon me. It's brutal

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've just had this new awful boards hoisted upon me. It's brutal
    Do you have a "legacy site" option? If so I would suggest clicking on it to bring you back to where you were

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement