Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've just had this new awful boards hoisted upon me. It's brutal

Are you a flagpole? Or does your phone have dodgy spellcheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gadetra wrote: »
    ...Why are bikes right hand drive in the first place as a matter of interest?
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    ...old screw-on freewheel would come off if on left...
    Yes, reverse threading wasn't invented until after the bicycle was invented/developed but by then it had become the traditional side for manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Beasty wrote: »
    That will completely turn around the "Images of Beauty" thread;)

Wonder if others will follow suit post Rio. Justifies me holding off an upgrade anyway

It's a female-specific bike.

What sort of 'upgrade' are you considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've seen BMXs with the chainring on the left.
    Not sure why.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@Beasty, I've done nothing but your words have returned it to normal.

@Harry, nope I'm just tired due to being on a ludicrously early flight for a seminar in Manchester. While here I've also drooled at some bikes in Evans

I was thinking about left hand drives the other day on bikes and why it was always on the right and got the answers mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Doctor Bob wrote: »

That one may be women specific, but if successful the concept of LHD for track bike may catch on. No point in upgrading now if the technology post-Rio changes the way pursuit-specific bikes are designed going forwards

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've seen BMXs with the chainring on the left.
    Not sure why.
    Were you viewing them in a mirror?

:)

Beasty wrote: »
    Were you viewing them in a mirror?

:)

No.
    Apparently, it's for "grinding", whatever that is.

http://bmxtech.wikia.com/wiki/RHD_%26_LHD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So it seems you can reinvent the wheel!

Softwheel Fluent suspends (and damps) your bike by the wheels

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/softwheel-fluent-suspends-bike-wheels

Softwheel-Fluent_suspension-wheel_Personal_Power_plant_dikla.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So it seems you can reinvent the wheel!

Looks like a sneaky way for the pros to get a piston engine in there now that the rim one's been sussed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Doctor Bob wrote: »

What makes it female specific?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No.
    Apparently, it's for "grinding", whatever that is.

http://bmxtech.wikia.com/wiki/RHD_%26_LHD
    Jebus, all my teenage years I knew I didn't do it exactly right in the Discos. Why did no one tell me I needed a chainring.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What makes it female specific?
    Is it just for the womens team and not female specific.=, ir did they say female specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is it just for the womens team and not female specific.=, ir did they say female specific?

Don't know. Just reaponding to Doctor Bob, who said it was female specific. I struggle to see what it has that makes it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Don't know. Just reaponding to Doctor Bob, who said it was female specific. I struggle to see what it has that makes it so.

I guess cos the article says this...
    The finished product is radical for yet another reason. It’s a sport-altering design that was built 100 percent from the ground up for female racers — with the women’s team getting unprecedented financial and technical support. If male pursuit riders ever end up on bikes like this, they’ll be following the women’s lead.

I reckon that just means it was made for a team which happens to be female rather than a bike which is specifically for a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Saw Jayco bus and team car at Port today. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's not urgent, with all the hours of daylight we have now, but by autumn I want to put my standard bike lights onto the family bakfiets. The lights that come with the bakfiets are ok-ish, but I might as well put on my Cateye HL EL520 and Smart Lunar R2. I've figured out how to do the latter, but the handlebars are obscured by the rain hood and there are no convenient mount points at the front that are also protected by the mudguards.

I was thinking of screwing a mount point into the wood of the box.

Something like Lumen had on the stem here:
    10z7kvm.jpg

But with a flat screw plate rather than a ring at the end.

Anyone know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

We had our balcony sliding door bashed in last night and our management company's preferred repair service are Monday to Saturday :/

Anyone recommend an emergency glass repair service in Dublin CC/8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

But with a flat screw plate rather than a ring at the end.

Anyone know anything?

Depending on the stem and your rain hood, this could be an option:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/leather-goods-handlebar-grips/accessory-mount-for-threadless-stems.html

Or if there's a front rack mount, or you already have a front rack installed, something like this:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/lighting/vo-rack-to-light-bracket.html

Apologies for the US links, but should be something similar on Amazon/eBay/In the UK.

Thanks, OldBean. (I feel I should have an RAF moustache saying that.)

I think I'll have to mount the light on the wooden box. The rain hood goes way up, and the heads of the kids would obscure the light anyway. I might find something in a hardware store. Just need a bar or cylinder to strap the standard Cateye HL mount onto.

There's no front rack, but that would be a really neat, cheap way to mount a light on a front rack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Record number of cyclists commute into Dublin
    The number of commuters cycling into Dublin city during the morning peak has reached its highest level since records began nearly 20 years ago.
    Almost 11,000 people cycle into the city each day.

Dublin City Council and the National Transport Authority’s (NTA) annual traffic count, which measures the modes of transport used by people entering the city between 7am and 10am, shows a huge increase in the popularity of cycling since the council starting keeping records in 1997.

Pretty good numbers considering the count takes place in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

So what's the status with disc brake bikes? Are you allowed to race them in Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AstraMonti wrote: »
    So what's the status with disc brake bikes? Are you allowed to race them in Ireland?

Not in RR or TT's but yes in cross and MTB.

Jawgap wrote: »

I'm eagerly anticipating the drive-time radio shows' hot take on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm eagerly anticipating the drive-time radio shows' hot take on this.

Monday - Friday, George Hook. Although he surprised me one evening when he read out a text from someone he says is a regular contributor on this. They were complaining about having just saw a lady cycling while wearing high heels, the texter was dumbfounded at her stupidity. George brought them down to earth by saying he doesn't see that as a problem while cycling a bike.

But he returned to his old trollng ways the next day .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not in RR or TT's but yes in cross and MTB.

Do you know if the rules originate from UCI or is it more of a local thing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Do you know if the rules originate from UCI or is it more of a local thing?

They are local rules but based on UCI ones. The trial of disc brakes was only in pro races which excluded 1.2 and 2.2 level ones afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

IAM cycling team to cease at the end of the season. :(
    https://twitter.com/IAM_Cycling/status/734689013492240384?s=09

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Monday - Friday, George Hook. Although he surprised me one evening when he read out a text from someone he says is a regular contributor on this. They were complaining about having just saw a lady cycling while wearing high heels, the texter was dumbfounded at her stupidity. George brought them down to earth by saying he doesn't see that as a problem while cycling a bike.

But he returned to his old trollng ways the next day .

Maybe it was these shoes:

https://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/high-heeled-cycling-shoes-bringing-sexy-back-recipe-disaster-32335/#VroQqZzrEjb3Rm7U.97

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement