Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I remember some colleagues when I worked in EastPoint Business Park tried cycling in during one fine spell in summer, mostly women. None of them persisted past a few days. I don't think it was sweat or appearance (though they might have been factors they just didn't talk about), but the sheer number of things they had to remember to bring.

I have it down to four small collections of things: small repair kit, lights, rain gear and locks. The third of these I have with me at all times anyway, as I'm usually walking when I'm not cycling. The first two I have in tough plastic sleeves, such as you get when you buy electronic goods, and I move them from bag to bag as I swap bikes. The locks are mounted on the bike. I remember one of my colleagues locking her bike with a tiny padlock I suppose she'd had in a drawer at home. I think she locked a brake cable to a metal training cable for vegetation.

Anyway, when I described what I bring with me every day, I could see their interest in continuing with cycling dwindling.

If they'd bought Dutch-style bikes and a good bike shop was on campus, the things they'd have to remember to bring would be down to rain gear (locks mounted on bike, and lights built in), I guess. I assume people would be more likely to cycle in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    ....Hate that cycle lane, but sometimes you get to see a couple walk 5 or 6 of these guys at once and amaze how they don't seem to trip over it all...
    It would help if the markings were redone as they have almost disappeared in places. Some pedestrians assume that we are just cycling on the footpath. I've had mutterings to that effect as I passed/met people on it.

(...and then there are the 'salmoners'! :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It would help if the markings were redone as they have almost disappeared in places. Some pedestrians assume that we are just cycling on the footpath. I've had mutterings to that effect as I passed/met people on it.

(...and then there are the 'salmoners'! :mad:)

Yeah, it's a poor enough cycle lane. Aside from the almost eroded markings, the surface is crap - it's worst as get nearer to Whitehall - rough, lumpy and hasn't been swept in decades.

I stopped using it and opted for the smooth bus lane but after a few weeks with plenty of ridiculously close passes by taxis and busses, I decided to go back using the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The bus lane next to this awful cycle path is the one I get beeped on by taxis most often... Not to even mention close passes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got fed up with close passes and beeps myself so started using the lane. I started lately swing a left down griffith avenue, and going up the ballymun road and then going back up collins avenue. If nothing else it adds a km or 2 onto my journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder how DCC would react to guerilla lane marking...

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/05/25/divided-we-stand/#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I reported a bus on the Whitehall to Drumcondra route. There's no pint trying to cycle in the bus lane outward. I honestly don't think the lane is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Alek wrote: »
    The bus lane next to this awful cycle path is the one I get beeped on by taxis most often... Not to even mention close passes.

I got a *really* close pass from a bus there once. The Garda behind who witnessed the whole thing told me I should use the footpath or he'd charge me with holding up traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

buffalo wrote: »
    I got a *really* close pass from a bus there once. The Garda behind who witnessed the whole thing told me I should use the footpath or he'd charge me with holding up traffic.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

/sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

crosstownk wrote: »
    Brilliant. Just brilliant.

/sarcasm

Hah. I pushed a taxi driver to blue faced rage after he called me a pro€k or something by visibly repeating his licence plate number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Do I need to check my privilege?

Everytime I see a roadbike with flat pedals it makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Do track pumps generally have a life-span? I've had my BBB airstorm for about 4 years or so and I reckon it's completely knackered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Do track pumps generally have a life-span? I've had my BBB airstorm for about 4 years or so and I reckon it's completely knackered.

I have a JoeBlow I got in Halfords in 1997, still going strong....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »

That's your own private business. Sharing is good but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah they do need replacing eventually or so they say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I got about 6 years out of my BBB one if I'd known at the time I'd get one like Robs that can be serviced! :D

You can get replacement parts for the dearer Topeaks, SKS and Lezynes pumps.

Got a Lezyne floor drive to replace it very pleased with it nice bit of kit. ABS2 chuck was a little fiddly initially but now that I've got used to it I prefer it to the BBB pump

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Good enough for him. These fraudulent insurance claims have the average person paying through the nose for premiums. I'm 32, full license 12 years and claim free and because I choose to drive a car which has a GTI badge I'm still paying over €1000 for insurance

would be gas if he was a poster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Does anyone know what the story is with those odd little bikes on 20" with the Rugby goalpost handlebars that curve back at the top?

Never seen or heard of them anywhere other than seeing them become increasingly ubiquitous around Dublin.

Even Mrs Rollingscone who's normally completely bike blind asked me about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone know what the story is with those odd little bikes on 20" with the Rugby goalpost handlebars that curve back at the top?

Never seen or heard of them anywhere other than seeing them become increasingly ubiquitous around Dublin.

Even Mrs Rollingscone who's normally completely bike blind asked me about them.
    Raleigh Chopper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Good enough for him. These fraudulent insurance claims have the average person paying through the nose for premiums. I'm 32, full license 12 years and claim free and because I choose to drive a car which has a GTI badge I'm still paying over 1000 for insurance
    Alternatively, this could be a dangerous precedent. Spoken as a cyclist who races and siffers with intermittent back pain caused by an accident a number of years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    Alternatively, this could be a dangerous precedent. Spoken as a cyclist who races and siffers with intermittent back pain caused by an accident a number of years ago.

Same here, neck pain after RTA which flares regularly but I can cycle through it although had to change to frames with shorter top tubes as a result.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

In Stoneybatter today - the lesser spotted wooden top tube/no saddle setup

photo.jpg
    image hosting services

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Interesting corner-cutting from Rema Tip Top in their patch repair-kits. Brand new kit, so I broke the seal on the tube of vulcanizing fluid to find that the tube was 100% empty. Glad I wasn't relying on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Same here, neck pain after RTA which flares regularly but I can cycle through it although had to change to frames with shorter top tubes as a result.
    Now you both mention it, I remember having a bad lower back pain which made walking very hard, but I cycled to work with it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Didn't really want to create a new thread for this so hopefully it'll be ok in here.

I've currently got a giant defy 3 sora.
    And vento wheels

My question is if I was to buy a new carbon/titanium bike with ulttegra or di2 would i actually notice any difference?

Other than the bike being slightly lighter
    Would there be any real benefits to upgrading?

I'm an average rider avg about 24km/h
    Generally go out 3 times a week min 40k spin

main question i usually ask myself is whether the bike is holding you back.
    in my case, the answer is 99% no. the weak link for me is not the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

main question i usually ask myself is whether the bike is holding you back.
    in my case, the answer is 99% no. the weak link for me is not the bike.

the benefits of new frame do make difference, you don't need best of everything but new parts run well, buy a mid level bike and you will notice the difference, good bikes transfer the power to the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

its a bit like triggers brush at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement