Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Does anyone know what the story is with those odd little bikes on 20" with the Rugby goalpost handlebars that curve back at the top?

Never seen or heard of them anywhere other than seeing them become increasingly ubiquitous around Dublin.

Even Mrs Rollingscone who's normally completely bike blind asked me about them.

20160529_181418_1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I was told they're imported and sold by Bikes or Bicycles IIRC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A proper, decent test of the muffin-leg-nessess of legwarmer for ladies, and - the cheapest pair won yeahie!

https://totalwomenscycling.com/road-cycling/search-warmers-dont-give-women-muffin-leg-76160/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

nee wrote: »
    I was told they're imported and sold by Bikes or Bicycles IIRC

Are they the new hipster bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Thud wrote: »
    Are they the new hipster bike?

They remind me of the cheap Chinese hire bikes they had on the Island tours in Vietnam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just realised the giro is over. What am I going to watch between 8.30 and 10pm tonight? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

20160529_181418_1.jpg
    Reminds me of the Brompton, back in the 70s:
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.telegraph.co.uk%2Fmultimedia%2Farchive%2F01538%2Fbrompton-bike_1538746i.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

lennymc wrote: »
    Just realised the giro is over. What am I going to watch between 8.30 and 10pm tonight? ??

No Fair City on a Monday either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Does anyone know what the story is with those odd little bikes on 20" with the Rugby goalpost handlebars that curve back at the top?

Never seen or heard of them anywhere other than seeing them become increasingly ubiquitous around Dublin.

Even Mrs Rollingscone who's normally completely bike blind asked me about them.

Pretty sure they're Japanese imports. Look up 'Mamachari' for more info- it's the colloquial Japanese term for them (Mama chariot). The big gap in the bars is to take a child seat. There's one Asian lady who cycles around town on a newish-looking one, including the seat in situ, but all of the second-hand ones I've seen are lacking the seat. I first noticed them about two years ago, but they've boomed in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Alan Partridge is on Sky Atlantic at 10pm.
    It's a new hard hitting one off documentary.
    Like something Donal MacIntyre or Paul Williams would do, but maybe not as funny.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

furiousox wrote: »
    Alan Partridge is on Sky Atlantic at 10pm.
    It's a new hard hitting one off documentary.
    Like something Donal MacIntyre or Paul Williams would do, but maybe not as funny.
    I miss his sports coverage, nice to see him back on the telly after that unfortunate shooting incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The great british sowing bee!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Sky channels from 901 on might help......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Only just back from a whirlwind tour de France (Normandy, Loire and Brittany).

Yiffiniac
    13344620_10154154878011678_8146018288304981668_n.jpg?oh=b493c7b7d0af2a086b5638854dd0f613&oe=57CEBFAE

Passage du Gois
    13344495_10154154879816678_2713857746309701279_n.jpg?oh=ca355ed936424125d60bf9f00dbab510&oe=57CEBB29

13266028_10154045857150306_507235434805860071_n.jpg?oh=88fcda9cf46c04ade2a9c4c9d3d37124&oe=57DF8D38

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Punching above your weight there Capt......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've been thinking about upgrading my groupset, it's certainly something I'll do before the summer is out, currently running with sora

I do have an old but barely used ultegra 9spd cassette in the shed and was going to pop this on, it's a 12-25 but also 100g lighter, this prompted me to have a bit of a dig around online about cassette weight. From my reading the belief is saving 100g on a cassette is the same as saving 100g on say a seatpost. Now if I relate this to say race cars there is something called sprung weight and unsprung weight, basically anything outside the springs is unsprung and a 1kg saving here is worth 8kg inside the car.

This I believe would be same with the cranks, cassette, rear wheel and chainrings, essentially the bits being turned by the rider.

Am I making sense here or am I just talking sh1te?

Now none of this means anything to me cos I'm nowhere near fast enough but I would like to read more on this so if anybody could point me somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »

Transcript of the "phone call" refused under data protection? Ridiculous - it's HIS data!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Transcript of the "phone call" refused under data protection? Ridiculous - it's HIS data!

Highly unlikely that individual Halfords shops record calls. Anyway what did he expect bringing his bike there? Probably would have been just fit for the bin after their 'repair' anyway

Now none of this means anything to me cos I'm nowhere near fast enough but I would like to read more on this so if anybody could point me somewhere

Can't turn you anywhere but my understanding is the opposite, sort of, anything that turns on a bike adds more weight. Hence why weight saving in the wheels is far more beneficial than anywhere else on the bike.

The further from the center of the wheel the weight is, the worse that effect is. Therefore heavy rims and tyres cost more than heavy cassettes. The differnce between 100g on the seat post and the cassette may be marginal as the cassette is close to the center and the seat post is abover the centre of gravity so may have other issues depending on your riding style.

TLDR, lighter wheels are the best starting point for weight saving that will be noticeable while riding AFAIK

• Advertisement

I used a CO2 cannister today, the audaxer in me feels ashamed. On the other hand, the lazy sh1t who is late for everything has found a new path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

On the back of the Giro (and in case anybody gives a tuppence), the Dutch Men's Road cycling team was named for the Olympics yesterday:

Kruijswijk
    Dumoulin (RR and TT)
    Poels (RR and TT)
    Mollema

Marianne Vos has been named amongst the ladies to defend her Olympic title.

Any ideas on when the Irish two will be known?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The second one:)

Rotational mass and it's effect is a completely different topic to sprung/unsprung mass.

In a race car lowering unsprung mass is beneficial to how a car will handle to steering inputs and stability under hard braking acceleration.

Really cheap way to cut 500g-750g from your bike, bring one water bottle

Possibly related: according to Veloviewer my old steel bike (Croix de fer + 105, 11kg) was 1km/h faster than the new alu+carbon one (Kinesis Pro 6 + 105, same wheels and tyres, 9,5kg) over 3500km distance sample (26.9 km/h vs 25.9 km/h average)

The new one is snappier and definitely better in CX races, but not necessarily in normal rides - and I often ride hilly ones, where the mass should theoretically make a difference...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Possibly related: according to Veloviewer my old steel bike (Croix de fer + 105, 11kg) was 1km/h faster than the new alu+carbon one (Kinesis Pro 6 + 105, same wheels and tyres, 9,5kg) over 3500km distance sample (26.9 km/h vs 25.9 km/h average)

The new one is snappier and definitely better in CX races, but not necessarily in normal rides - and I often ride hilly ones, where the mass should theoretically make a difference...

On the basis this might stop people buying a new bike, I request that this post be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Did you eat all the cake since abandoning the Croix de fer?

Did you eat all the cake since abandoning the Croix de fer?

There may be something in this ;)

In fairness I don't have time to do longer rides since changing bikes, while I've done +/- 8 audaxes on CdF and many around 100km... but how does it contribute to avg speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

CramCycle wrote: »
    I used a CO2 cannister today, the audaxer in me feels ashamed. On the other hand, the lazy sh1t who is late for everything has found a new path.

CO2 is heavier than air. Therefore you have added weight to the outside of your wheel.

Thus inexorably is your atonement exacted.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fian wrote: »
    CO2 is heavier than air. Therefore you have added weight to the outside of your wheel.

Thus inexorably is your atonement exacted.

A bit of heavy braking and I'm sure it will all be back to normal....

• Advertisement

Same here, I was definitely faster on my Charge Juicer than I am on my fancy new bike. Found it easier, climbed better, carried more weight uphill.
    In fairness I don't have time to do longer rides since changing bikes, while I've done +/- 8 audaxes on CdF and many around 100km... but how does it contribute to avg speed?
    There may be a pattern here as well since I haven't done any audaxes since switching over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement