Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think we are just getting younger, Cram.

:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I cycled out to and around Howth for the first time yesterday but can't help but think I missed a trick... I turned left and went along Harbour Road first and then up towards the summit but it seems as if I was the only cyclist to go this way as there must have been about 40 cyclists who passed me going the other direction!

Is that direction the one that all the Strava segments are on or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the only way i've ever cycled over howth head (only about ten attempts, mind). i'm not mad keen on the idea of descending through the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I've always gone up from the Sutton side. I'm not overly fond of hills and the village side looks too steep for me. Yes I'm a pussy! Most times I come down the way I go up but occasionally I descend through the village. I wouldn't do it on a sunny day though as there are too many cars around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just saw Peter Kennaugh in full British Champs Sky kit with his Sky Pinarello standing with a fellow Sky team mate on Ballymun Road. Either that or the saddest full kit **** I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Just saw Peter Kennaugh in full British Champs Sky kit with his Sky Pinarello standing with a fellow Sky team mate on Ballymun Road. Either that or the saddest full kit **** I've ever seen.

well with Kennaugh out of action and on the isle of man you have your answer.

I feel bad enough in some team kit nevermind then riding the bike to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Once he wasn't dissing womens cycling like his idol, he gets a pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

So I was on a Dublin bike for the first time in years. I think I see why so many people act like plonkers on them. They feel like a tank and can go through any pot hole or off any kerb without a bother. The weaving I've witnessed has to be caused by the steering. Slightly moving the handle bars makes the bike mosey to the side. The sitting position made me feel indestructible compared to my hybrid or road bike. Also, the brakes were crap. So basically I think it could be down to design incorporated with being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

traprunner wrote: »
    I've always gone up from the Sutton side. I'm not overly fond of hills and the village side looks too steep for me. Yes I'm a pussy! Most times I come down the way I go up but occasionally I descend through the village. I wouldn't do it on a sunny day though as there are too many cars around.
    Yeah the climb out of the village was quite a shock to the system after stopping in for some fish and chips but the clear descent was very enjoyable!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Interesting new child seat for those of you with twins; https://www.facebook.com/trendinginchina/videos/702120999891386/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AdMMM wrote: »
    Yeah the climb out of the village was quite a shock to the system after stopping in for some fish and chips but the clear descent was very enjoyable!
    that's a fun one for me. the lowest my bike will go is 39x26.

here's one a colleague was asking me - do (i suppose the larger manufacturers) perform crash testing on bikes? he was asking specifically about the bike itself having the capacity to injure the rider if it fails in a crash.
    i suspect not...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

here's one a colleague was asking me - do (i suppose the larger manufacturers) perform crash testing on bikes? he was asking specifically about the bike itself having the capacity to injure the rider if it fails in a crash.
    i suspect not...
    I heard on a podcast today that canyon are the only bike manufacturer that have a CT machine to inspect the carbon fibres (in forks I think) before shipping product. I don't own a canyon an have no affiliation

Is the top of tourlogh hill accessible by bike? Was going to include the wicklow gap in a spin and possible up to the top of tourlogh hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

ronoc wrote: »
    Is the top of tourlogh hill accessible by bike? Was going to include the wicklow gap in a spin and possible up to the top of tourlogh hill ?

Yep, just one barrier to get past: https://goo.gl/maps/EnQzKuTNnip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yes you can go up to the level of reservoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ronoc wrote: »

Yes but it is private property owned by the esb.

Cool cheers, found the segment on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I saw the road from Glencree to sally gap is getting a make over today, lots of hot tar and heavy machinery, closed to traffic at moment I got through ok with bike, bit of walkies g in the ditch at times. Work probably in lieu of ww200 next week hope they go all the way to laragh with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

I saw the road from Glencree to sally gap is getting a make over today, lots of hot tar and heavy machinery, closed to traffic at moment I got through ok with bike, bit of walkies g in the ditch at times. Work probably in lieu of ww200 next week hope they go all the way to laragh with it.

Tar and chip or a proper surface?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not on the WW200 route any more but one to watch for the Evil 2016 crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Was planning to cycle up to Turlough Hill tomorrow via Sally Gap so thanks for the last few posts. Hopefully it's passable tomorrow.

How much of it was closed? It's 10km or so for that section of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

From the Glencree turnoff to the cross roads, they'll let you through, just beware of the hot tarmac etc and expect to get into the ditch for a bit at some stage... looks like its lovely long patches of surface of the quick and smooth variety

[img]Http://i.imgur.com/ZyzKZ0s.jpg?1[/img]

Two separate undergrowth fires on and near Kippure this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Tejay van Garderen has said that he doesn't want to compete at the Olympics. His wife is pregnant and they're worried about Zika.

The Americans haven't announced their team yet, but he doesn't want to be a part of it.

Has anyone ever heard of a cyclist known as the Bomber Sheehan? Possibly actually John or Gerard, would've ridden professionally in the 80s, or maybe late 70s or early 90s.

buffalo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of a cyclist known as the Bomber Sheehan? Possibly actually John or Gerard, would've ridden professionally in the 80s, or maybe late 70s or early 90s.

So my friend is only half-waffling. It's John Sheehan who runs www.gerardcycles.com. Not sure where the 'bomber' bit came from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Nearly finished the Belgain beer pack which is in Lidl this weekend 6 bottles starting at 7.2% abv, now on the heady slopes of 10.5%. Would highly reccommend (might have some reservations in the morning though).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement