Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I raced cars once upon a time, I always said that if I added up how much it was costing me I wouldn't do it. Delete the spreadsheet from memory and start again
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I can't believe that you removed the emotion from the process and used financial logic instead!

That's how I built the PX, but this time, the more sensible part of me decided to plan ahead. The fact that I did it, proves it was the wrong thing to do.

Raam wrote: »
    But you still want a new bike, right?

At any given time I want a new bike!

Apparently not a wind up, a certain Mr. Hook is now cycling to work.

https://youtu.be/T8L-GqKhZDw

Has the world gone mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

buffalo wrote: »
    Where can I pick up those little disc batteries for HR monitors, etc. The CR2032s are common enough, but I'm looking for a CR2450. Anywhere I'd reliably get one in Dublin city centre, preferably northside?

Try smyths toys, no really, cant check now as i am banished from the kitchen, but got a pack of a gazillion *(might be exaggerating slightly) of those disk batteries for 2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

com1 wrote: »
    Try smyths toys, no really, cant check now as i am banished from the kitchen, but got a pack of a gazillion *(might be exaggerating slightly) of those disk batteries for 2.50

For future reference, Boots have a great range but didn't stock the CR2450 in Blanchardstown nor Jervis, which are both big stores.

Maplins had it. Raam wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For future reference, Boots have a great range but didn't stock the CR2450 in Blanchardstown nor Jervis, which are both big stores.

Maplins had it. Raam wins!

Give me money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ronoc wrote: »
    Apparently not a wind up, a certain Mr. Hook is now cycling to work.

https://youtu.be/T8L-GqKhZDw

Has the world gone mad?

I only watched the start, but it's commendable that he won't be breaking reds, going the wrong way down one-way streets or cycling on the footpath. Indeed, this would make his behaviour on a bike considerably better than his behaviour behind the wheel of a car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i stole that and left a comment to that effect on the youtube link. will be interesting to see if it's left there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He mounted a footpath in the link and done a U turn on what i think is a one way street. Being a pedant I know but, its not a great start :pac:

I am so very rarely in a car in rush hour traffic, but I was sitting for a while on the N2 in a tailback due to a breakdown ahead. I have no idea why so many drivers give out about cyclists when about one car every minute (I counted) zips down the bus lane.

And just for the whataboutery, I didn't see any cyclists breaking red lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

So another spoke has gone in the back wheel of my hybrid. That's four now. I know I'm a bit on the heavy side but should I really have lost in the space of 4-5 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

traprunner wrote: »
    So another spoke has gone in the back wheel of my hybrid. That's four now. I know I'm a bit on the heavy side but should I really have lost in the space of 4-5 months?

Same thing was happening me on my road bike. Combo of weight and poor wheels. I bought a wheelset from a user here and have had no such problems since. Also the spokes could be tensioned poorly, my wheel was straight but dished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

traprunner wrote: »

Is it the same one every time?

Same thing was happening me on my road bike. Combo of weight and poor wheels. I bought a wheelset from a user here and have had no such problems since. Also the spokes could be tensioned poorly, my wheel was straight but dished

I got 2 spokes fixed a couple of weeks ago and asked them to check all other spokes. Maybe the message didn't get to the mechanic working on the bike or maybe the wheels are a bit crap.

All spokes that have been replaced popped out of the nipple. I don't know if that signifies anything.

The wheels are Bontrager TLR disc 700c. They don't even have 1000km on them as I only use that bike for commuting 6-7km per day.

bp_me wrote: »
    Is it the same one every time?

Nope. Different each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I see all sorts of road users breaking rules etc, it has nothing do with the mode of transport but rather the user. Cars just happen be one most likely to kill you.

http://giveabeep.org/#introduction

Via here: http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.ie/2016/06/beeping-cyclists.html
    The Give a Beep campaign has given 500 wireless buttons, connected to a mobile app, to cyclists in London.

Every time one of the cyclists is frustrated with cycling conditions on London roads they can press the wireless button to send an e-mail to the London Mayor. Each 'beep' is also added anonymously to the Give a Beep interactive map.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

CramCycle wrote: »
    He mounted a footpath in the link and done a U turn on what i think is a one way street. Being a pedant I know but, its not a great start :pac:

It looked like a pedestrianised street too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

As usual on a long solo spin I bring a small FM radio (Dealz) with me to distract me from my own thoughts. Over the many kilometres of Irish countryside that I've covered in the last few years, I've discovered that RnaG has stellar reception from Enniscorthy to Sligo. Every other radio station has patchy reception particularly in Wicklow river valleys and Sunday afternoon radio is either sport or "classic hits" urgh!

On Sunday I dragged myself around the Ardattin 200 which finishes in Bray, I still had 20km to get home, the radio station starts playing "Take the long way home" by Supertramp. Later on, having taking the shorter way home, with the rain clouds threatening on the horizon I was cycling to "Give me shelter" by the Stones. Sometimes it comes up with a suitable tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Interesting article for anyone in the market for cycling goods/bikes in the near future. Ill be pulling the trigger a nice new Ribble bike if they do leave the E.U and the currency slides as predicted.

Would the retailers drop there prices that are in Euro's when you select your region or would it be best to buy in GBP currency.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/3858-hsbc-and-ubs-forecast-parity-in-euro-to-pound

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Would the retailers drop there prices that are in Euro's when you select your region or would it be best to buy in GBP currency.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/3858-hsbc-and-ubs-forecast-parity-in-euro-to-pound

Think generally you get a better rate of you let the card do the conversion rather than the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Think generally you get a better rate of you let the card do the conversion rather than the shop.

Think so too. We always put it through in Euro when in Poland and let the bank do the change.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's probably a couple opf percent extra when UK hotels try to convert your bill to Euros. I always pay in local currency rather than the currency of the card

If there is a big slide in sterling I reckon you will get the benefit for maybe 6 months or so, but once stocks are getting topped up (particularly ahead of XMas) the sterling prices will head back up and you will no longer see much of a benefit. It's definitely a game worth playing (if you can afford it!) short-term though

Don't want to go digging up an old thread, but apparently the ghost bike in Harold's Cross was removed today:

https://lovindublin.com/pics/pics-the-ghost-bike-at-harolds-cross-bridge-has-been-removed-by-the-council-today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Think so too. We always put it through in Euro when in Poland and let the bank do the change.

Should you not be paying in zloty to let the your credit card company do the conversion. If you do the conversion on the machine you are using their banks exchange rate which is usually worse than your credit card company.

As ednwireland said buying from the uk you are usually better paying in sterling and using your credit card company's exchange rate. I have found the odd time it can be better to use the online stores exchange rate, guess they are just slower to update if there is a rise in the rate but most of the time it. Have found this with PX and ribblle a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ryath wrote: »
    Should you not be paying in zloty to let the your credit card company do the conversion. If you do the conversion on the machine you are using their banks exchange rate which is usually worse than your credit card company.

As ednwireland said buying from the uk you are usually better paying in sterling and using your credit card company's exchange rate. I have found the odd time it can be better to use the online stores exchange rate, guess they are just slower to update if there is a rise in the rate but most of the time it. Have found this with PX and ribblle a few times.

Duh baby brain strikes again. I meant what you said!

Don't want to go digging up an old thread, but apparently the ghost bike in Harold's Cross was removed today:

https://lovindublin.com/pics/pics-the-ghost-bike-at-harolds-cross-bridge-has-been-removed-by-the-council-today
    I've never liked Ghost Bikes, but I feel bad about it because a lot of people do seem to favour them. I think their effect on the general pubic is to reinforce the already prevalent notion that cycling results in death. If I had to design a campaign to put people off cycling, putting extra, and very visible, emphasis on cycling deaths over every other type of death would be on my list of things to do.

I'm aware that this is far from the intention of the people who put them up.

I hope this attitude isn't common:
    Not every fatal bike accident is memorialized. That includes one of a young man riding in the South Hills. "He's going the wrong way down a one-way street, no helmet on, ran a stop sign into a busy intersection," Mr. de la Cretaz said. "Maybe it's kind of cold -- he showed no obvious concern for safety. There's no ghost bike for him."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/life/lifestyle/2010/12/01/Ghost-Bikes-Rough-memorials-honor-cyclists-killed-while-riding/stories/201012010140

No soup for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ryath wrote: »
    have i missed it, or are there no ATMs in T2 in dublin, which dispense foreign currency?
    there are (were?) AIB ATMs in T1 which would dispense sterling and dollars - so the only option if you do want to land with currency in your pocket is to use the bureau de change in T2 which charges about 10 or 12% commission, i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

have i missed it, or are there no ATMs in T2 in dublin, which dispense foreign currency?
    there are (were?) AIB ATMs in T1 which would dispense sterling and dollars - so the only option if you do want to land with currency in your pocket is to use the bureau de change in T2 which charges about 10 or 12% commission, i think?

Or wait until you arrive, find an ATM and withdraw cash.

I was in washington recently, on arrival in the airport I went to bureau de Change to change € to $. $300 was going to cost me €340. I said no thanks and went to the ATM in the wall beside the Bureau de Change and withdrew $300 for less than €300 as you would expect. Lesson learned - no more bureau de change for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There is (Or was?) two BOI ATM's in T2 underneath the elevator up to the airside restaurants that dispensed Euro, GB sterling and Dollars at some of the best rates I've gotten.

Bureau De Change in the US are generally awful. If you have time and an American friend, deposit the money in their account and pick it back up the next day (Banks in bigger cities can usually do it straight away).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement