Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is anyone else guilty of 'chimping' on the bike?
    i lifted the term from photography - it's the practice of looking at the screen on your camera every time you take a photo, instead of just shooting away, used to identify amateurs shooting sports events, etc.
    anyway, any time i change gear, even if i know what gear i have changed from and to, i always look down to confirm. even though i can tell by my cadence that the gear change was without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I saw someone this morning riding a bike with something like this in front:

977694.thumb.jpg.d848c33f999d0ad8155c8627e7217046.jpg

It might have been an electric bike, not sure. He must have some fun during windy days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'd be handy in a tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I saw someone this morning riding a bike with something like this in front:
    It wasn't a Moulton, was it? Sometimes people add a fairing like that for better aerodynamics.

9708714797_ef331ac6e5_z.jpg

Small wheels permit this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

tigerboon wrote: »
    Lovely part of the country and great for cycling. Took a spin out to the Rosguill Peninsula earlier and hope to do a spin round by Errigal/Glenveagh tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Errigal/Glenveagh is my own area really (make sure someone knows your route, no phone signal in large parts of that area)

You could take the gap road around the back of Errigal into Falcarragh, around to Gortahork and take the coast road around Cnoc Fola into Gaoth Dobhair?

Or go back towards Termon and pass through Dunfanaghy and the afore mentioned Port na Blagh out to Kilmacrenann?

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It wasn't a Moulton, was it? Sometimes people add a fairing like that for better aerodynamics.

Small wheels permit this sort of thing.

No, it was around Citywest (lol now I got that you were talking about a bike and not an area haha ). I didn't get a good look as I was coming the other way around, but it looked like a normal hybrid bike and the fairing looked a bit too low to make a difference to the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

AstraMonti wrote: »
    but it looked like a normal hybrid bike and the fairing looked a bit too low to make a difference to the cyclist.

I have see this before where a child seat is fitted to the crossbar.

HTH

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could it have been wind shield for a child seat?

HTH was just that bit quicker

Mmm yeah that would make sense I guess. I 'll ask him if I see him around again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could it have been wind shield for a child seat?

I know someone who has one for just that very purpose. I imagine it protects the passenger really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Some nice cycling sayings:

http:// www. cyclingweekly. co. uk /news/latest-news/32-best-cycling-sayings-245758#MHXTd8ikvLoGJ27O.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Cycling down the quays in Dublin this morning post-rain shower, myself and my OH came to a stop at the lights by the Four Courts. We stopped in single file, which allowed a chap in Lycra, (which comically was about 3 sizes too big) overtake us and stop. No big deal. We're not in a rush.

We looked at each other in admiration of bibshorts that had a suit-trouser fit, and that his Vans lack of cleats didn't really work with the SPD-SL pedals. And then a bang of sweat hit us. Jesus, it was bad. I don't mean fresh sweat, or hard work sweat, I mean a bang of Lycra that's only ever seen water in the rain.

We were just out for a leisurely morning spin, but trying to get in front of him to escape made the whole thing turn into a sad commuter race. He'd shoal around every other cyclist at every red light and begin his torture again, more and more cyclists realised what was happening and became involved in trying to overtake him.

Just a friendly weekend reminder to wash yer kit!

OldBean wrote: »
    And then a bang of sweat hit us. Jesus, it was bad. I don't mean fresh sweat, or hard work sweat, I mean a bang of Lycra that's only ever seen water in the rain.

Just a friendly weekend reminder to wash yer kit!

Interesting technique for pushing people to compete with him ;)

How do you wash those? A friend was complaining that his normal 40º wash doesn't get the smell out of his gym clothes, and a hot wash wrecks the elastic after a bit; he tried biological Ariel but can't stand the perfume in it. I said to try line-drying but he sniffed () at that suggestion. Any tips?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Interesting technique for pushing people to compete with him ;)

How do you wash those? A friend was complaining that his normal 40º wash doesn't get the smell out of his gym clothes, and a hot wash wrecks the elastic after a bit; he tried biological Ariel but can't stand the perfume in it. I said to try line-drying but he sniffed () at that suggestion. Any tips?

I usually put them inside-out into a cold or 30 degree wash after each ride with Ariel liquid tabs, then hang them by an open window to dry. I think the best thing is to just not let stuff lie about, especially if it's in a gym bag.

If he's machine drying I'd say that'll be a problem right there for the longitivity of his kit. And if he has to machine dry, get some freshener sheets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I usually put them inside-out into a cold or 30 degree wash after each ride with Ariel liquid tabs, then hang them by an open window to dry. I think the best thing is to just not let stuff lie about, especially if it's in a gym bag.

If he's machine drying I'd say that'll be a problem right there for the longitivity of his kit. And if he has to machine dry, get some freshener sheets!

I was in a Pearl Izumi store in the US a couple of months ago and that was the advice they were giving to customers. The staff were keen cyclists too. Wash at a cool temperature even with other clothes. Then let them air dry. The heat from a tumble dryer or hot wash can mishape the chamois.

Tbh, since I lived on my own, I don't think I've ever run a wash higher than 30.

It's just better for everything.

Not machine drying but drying on a rack indoors (which seems like madness to me when there's a line available, but there you go, tis not the same way it takes all of us, as my mother used to say.

He's tried Lidl liquid (non-biological) and found it left his gear stinky, then tried Ariel and found it left his gear smelling like something out of 18th-century Versailles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It's just better for everything.

Except your machine.

Do a high temp wash, empty if needs be, once in a while.

Never knew that - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mavic freewheel stripped lubed and rebuilt definitely a law of diminishing returns on 5 year old wheels - good news though the zondas have left gatwick finally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

also, check the inside of the rubber door seal every so often, as gunk can build up here and start to go foul.
    also, regarding the longevity of your clothes - fabric softeners work by slowly digesting the fibres to keep them soft.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Except your machine.

Do a high temp wash, empty if needs be, once in a while.

Haven't done that for a while, must do it. I tend to wipe the bottom of the rubber seal dry with one of the towels waiting for a separate towel wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

First ever cycling lesson for my middle aged sister in law who's staying with us for a month or so and has learning to ride a bike as a life goal.

First time teaching someone to cycle in my second language but that turned out to be the least of our problems

She's fit as a fiddle but we encountered some serious power to weight issues with getting her moving on a Dublin Bike.

Meanwhile my sister has a perfectly good hybrid out in Meath that I can't get to due to an unseasonal headcold and the inevitable chest infection that followed.

Mission in danger :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dubliners-may-get-phone-app-to-check-truck-legitimacy-1.2710115
    Dublin residents will be able to check whether large trucks in their neighbourhood are authorised to be there, with the help of a new phone app being developed by Dublin City Council.

Might cut down on the number of HGVs in the city centre, though I have no idea how many are authorised vs unauthorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Received one close-pass at speed this morning on my spin and it was from someone with a road bike on a rack at the back of their car. FFS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Received one close-pass at speed this morning on my spin and it was from someone with a road bike on a rack at the back of their car. FFS :mad:

Failure of testing system, nothing about giving more room the higher the speed, most drivers seem to think the closer the pass the faster they have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

manafana wrote: »
    Failure of testing system, nothing about giving more room the higher the speed, most drivers seem to think the closer the pass the faster they have to go.

Too true. However, I'd have expected a better/higher level of understanding from a fellow cyclist!

All these ads in eurosport every 5mins are very irritating.

• Advertisement

Too true. However, I'd have expected a better/higher level of understanding from a fellow cyclist!

Probably the fellow-cyclist that carved me up on a cycle path, screeching "F… off you old b…" when I caught him up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement