Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Probably the fellow-cyclist that carved me up on a cycle path, screeching "F… off you old b…" when I caught him up?

No, I don't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Probably the fellow-cyclist that carved me up on a cycle path, screeching "F… off you old b…" when I caught him up?

It wasn't me but I do have an irrational hatred of old people so it could be me next time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It wasn't me but I do have an irrational hatred of old people so it could be me next time :pac:

I have an irrational hatred of young people - I'll wave my umbrella at you and yell creakily, making you wobble and fall off. Fair warning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a rational hatred of the young and old alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone ever get caught staring at one of their bikes lovingly (I did! )?

What's the popular defence /excuse when your OH comments on it?

Apparently "I could be looking at far worse things" isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Podium girls trolling the pro-cyclists at the Tour of Austria
    hGzIl0A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

^ objectifying wurst is no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    ^ objectifying wurst is no laughing matter.
    You're right, it's the wurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Caption this

390892.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

AstraMonti wrote: »
    All these ads in eurosport every 5mins are very irritating.
    God yes and they are really bad. Especially that Alpecin shampoo one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Alek wrote: »
    Caption this

390892.jpg

"That's the last time I use a Halfords mechanic"

Alek wrote: »
    Caption this

390892.jpg

"Do it yourself they said on boards, don't waste money on a Bike shop, there are videos on you tube, the tools are a once off purchase."

The inventor of 'bike doping', Istvan Varjas, suggests that personal bests be used as an indicator for testing:

http:// road. cc/ content/news/196103-mechanical-doping-–-hidden-motor-inventor-reveals-how-he-thinks-cheats-can-be

Indo has a piece about a young cyclist "in fight for life" after coming off her bike on the way down the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

That's awful. Hope she is ok.

What's the road like there? Gravelly?

What's the road like there? Gravelly?

Not really but you can pick up speed very easily and almost without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Reading the article it sounds like it was the Wicklow Gap, says she came down near the carpark at the lead mines in the Laragh direction.

Road surface is good but it's a very fast descent.

Hope she makes speedy and full recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Crocked wrote: »
    Reading the article it sounds like it was the Wicklow Gap, says she came down near the carpark at the lead mines in the Laragh direction.

Road surface is good but it's a very fast descent.

Hope she makes speedy and full recovery

Just posted in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100266965#post100266965

It was indeed the Wicklow Gap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hope she makes a full recovery
    There but for the grace of God

Only quibble is the comment about cycling being dangerous, it isn't any more than driving/walking/swimming etc !

• Advertisement

I was wondering if he was correctly quoted, of if it was something like the reporter saying "Would you say cycling is dangerous?" and yer man saying "Ah, it can be, of course"…

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

RobFowl wrote: »
    Only quibble is the comment about cycling being dangerous,
    I have to agree with this after reading the article.I hope that he was misquoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Film The Bicycle on this Sat as part of the Galway Fringe Festival
    Here's the trailer

cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have to agree with this after reading the article.I hope that he was misquoted.

Bear in mind if not, that presumably he was caught on the hop and was probably shocked to hear about the accident. He may have been just anxious not to be construed as casting any blame on the cyclist who was involved in the accident.

I would be slow to criticise someone for a press quote potentially taken out of context (not saying that you are doing so btw!)

In other news:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/jul/05/is-it-an-e-bike-is-it-an-e-car-no-its-a-bio-hybrid

Seems pointless to me, a normal e-bike is so much more practical. Hope i don't start seeing a proliferation of these in cycle lanes, but tbh i don't expect i will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Nothing dodgy going on here. One team takes top 7 places in USA Nationals plus one wins the TT.
    Nothing dodgy going on at all.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/usa-cycling-u23-road-national-championships-2016/mens-road-race/results/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

koutoubia wrote: »
    Nothing dodgy going on here. One team takes top 7 places in USA Nationals plus one wins the TT.
    Nothing dodgy going on at all.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/usa-cycling-u23-road-national-championships-2016/mens-road-race/results/

They had broken away as a team from the peleton, it is not as if all seven beat the rest of the field in a sprint. Is that not plausible? Being honest i don't know enough about cycle racing to be sure but it doesn't sound impossible to me. Surprised no-one else managed to join them as they broke away i guess. Or is this all a TT where they are each cycling separately?

Fian wrote: »
    Is that not plausible?
    Everything is plausible ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What are you implying. Go on just say it. They had 10 riders in a field where few others didn't seem to have more than half that. They've done the tour of California this year or last with some success.

There may be marks against them considering there owner was a pro cyclist during a seriously dirty period

Weepsie wrote: »
    What are you implying. Go on just say it.

I said it. Nothing dodgy going on. Thats what I said and thats what I am implying.
    Whether my tongue is in my cheek or not is another thing entirely!

• Advertisement

MOD VOICE: Cut it out now, if I have to explain what I am on about it can be done via PM. If you wish to start a TOC thread about how a team had 10 riders in 75 finishers and therefore enough there to control a race easily, fire away. All questions via PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement