Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Fian wrote: »
    They had broken away as a team from the peleton, it is not as if all seven beat the rest of the field in a sprint. Is that not plausible? Being honest i don't know enough about cycle racing to be sure but it doesn't sound impossible to me. Surprised no-one else managed to join them as they broke away i guess. Or is this all a TT where they are each cycling separately?

lotto pretty much did it in turkey this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Great video about the highest ranking international cycling event in Ireland:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That's a bit much......even if he was on the footpath!!!!

Executive punches cyclist for riding bike on Dublin footpath

What would he have done if he'd run a red light :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What jumped out at me was the implication from the judge that it was OK for him to tackle the guy for cycling on the footpath, but he just went a bit over the top.

And he only ended up paying for the guy's immediate dental work even though he has a lifetime of it ahead of him.

Bizarre ruling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd expect that ruling for the initial tackle and damage but he went on to further assault him. The charges should never be dismissed or stuck off the record IMO. An unprovoked act of not in severe violence and a fine is deemed good enough. Even a suspended sentence and lengthy community service?

Our justice system is fecking wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

seamus wrote: »
    What jumped out at me was the implication from the judge that it was OK for him to tackle the guy for cycling on the footpath, but he just went a bit over the top.

And he only ended up paying for the guy's immediate dental work even though he has a lifetime of it ahead of him.

Bizarre ruling.

One suspects that if it was a less 'well-to-do' individual that they wouldn't be getting off so lightly for what, by the sounds of it, was a serious assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Thud

Jawgap wrote: »
    One suspects that if it was a less 'well-to-do' individual that they wouldn't be getting off so lightly for what, by the sounds of it, was a serious assault.

dunno it seems if you have multiple priors you can get off lightly on the "tough upbringing" card

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have there ever been any studies done on the effects of beards on aerodynamics and average speeds in cycling?
    i'm trying to blame my low speeds on something, sounds plausible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

have there ever been any studies done on the effects of beards on aerodynamics and average speeds in cycling?
    i'm trying to blame my low speeds on something, sounds plausible to me.

Yup, but I've bad news for you:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/specialized-test-aerodynamics-of-a-beard-video-41144/

Sideburns or even better proper mutton chops ftw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bugger. i was thinking that if it made a 1% difference, it would be the difference between 26kph, and 26.3kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The year old Zondas my dad gave me when he changed to disc brakes are worn to the point of Dara in BeeCycles advising me to start shopping...

It seems that I have lost the lottery of Zonda.

#easycomeeasygo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Does anyone know if it's legal for cars to travel two abreast? Serious question.

On a road like this, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/fepwpKFVBAJ2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

buffalo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's legal for cars to travel two abreast? Serious question.

I don't believe so and I drive that way a lot. The problem stems from the lights at the junction with East Road. There are two lanes there each direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My kids were watching the Twirlywoos this morning, and the subtitles happened to be on. There was a character called Peekaboo, and he seemed to be rather exerting himself, dragging something along. The subtitles came up: "PEEKABOO PANTS". Rather unexpected on CBeebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I used to use that road years ago and it was always two lines of traffic going towards the port although there was only ever one lane marked. I wouldn't think it's illegal if you're on the correct side of the road and within the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

tigerboon wrote: »
    I used to use that road years ago and it was always two lines of traffic going towards the port although there was only ever one lane marked. I wouldn't think it's illegal if you're on the correct side of the road and within the speed limit.

Would three across also be legal, if there was a fleet of smart cars for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Would three across also be legal, if there was a fleet of smart cars for example?

i don't know....does it say anywhere it's not legal? I stand to be corrected but if you're on the correct side of the road and complying with speed limit, driving with due care etc then you're not breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

6qmnu07.jpg

Misjudged a jump, faceplanted.. broken handlebar. It could have ended worse, but it's all good, just another broken part. I should have stayed with road bikes :pac:

i don't know....does it say anywhere it's not legal? I stand to be corrected but if you're on the correct side of the road and complying with speed limit, driving with due care etc then you're not breaking the law

On the motorbike I have often overtaken when there is sufficient space in areas of continuous central markings. Don't think that there's a prohibition on it, just that there's unlikely room for driving with care and attention in most areas. Keep left also applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Two abreast might be legal but might be discourteous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

There was a race around the Curragh-Boston-Dunmurry circuit this morning, lads and ladies were gathering in the rain as I was heading away this morning and the race was close to finishing as I came home so never got to talk to anyone involved but since it was almost solely Tiernan's/Lucan/Blanc Wheelys I'm assuming it was an inter club league race, I've no issues with them using the roads down here but was under the impression that club league races were forbidden at weekends?

They had a rough enough day for it, wet to start and a strong headwind up Boston, riders all over the place near the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nilhg wrote: »
    There was a race around the Curragh-Boston-Dunmurry circuit this morning, lads and ladies were gathering in the rain as I was heading away this morning and the race was close to finishing as I came home so never got to talk to anyone involved but since it was almost solely Tiernan's/Lucan/Blanc Wheelys I'm assuming it was an inter club league race, I've no issues with them using the roads down here but was under the impression that club league races were forbidden at weekends?

They had a rough enough day for it, wet to start and a strong headwind up Boston, riders all over the place near the end.

Alas not a club league event, this is a spin we hold mid year between the clubs (I am one of the organisers). A social event more than anything for the clubs.

Terrible weather on the way out to it but it stayed dry over the spin, to the point where the roads were dry near the end of the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

CramCycle wrote: »
    Alas not a club league event, this is a spin we hold mid year between the clubs (I am one of the organisers). A social event more than anything for the clubs.

Terrible weather on the way out to it but it stayed dry over the spin, to the point where the roads were dry near the end of the spin.

Someone must have forgot to tell the Tiernan's chap that was eyeballs out up by my house trying to stay away from the bunch on the last lap about the social aspect....

There's a few nicer social routes down here than 3 or 4 laps of that circuit, feel free to PM me for more info next year if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anyone cycle northbound on O'Connell Street Dublin in the last 24 hours?
    There was a bizarre new traffic setup at 6pm last night just after O'Connell Bridge beside McDs/BK- they'd put a new set of pedestrian lights up but no corresponding road traffic lights. So pedestrians had a green man whilst road traffic didn't even know there was a crossing.

Hopefully they were midway through doing it properly, but seemed reckless to leave it like that for any length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Does the Corpo have any dateline for putting the ghost bike back up on Harold's Cross Bridge? It's not there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Chuchote wrote: »
    Does the Corpo have any dateline for putting the ghost bike back up on Harold's Cross Bridge? It's not there at the moment.

It was removed permanently ad far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »

I don't think it is going back, they have not made any comment that it would be unless I am mistaken, they seemed to ignore any comments made except for the stock reply of this is how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I'm just wondering how "real bikers" are looking on people who are riding hybrid (half-electric) bikes (as I just purchased one for work commute lol) :'D

Lavinia wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how "real bikers" are looking on people who are riding hybrid (half-electric) bikes (as I just purchased one for work commute lol) :'D
    Just remember that electric assistance when you beat everyone from standing starts. Your victory to the next red light is hollow.

Also, if someone does happen to (eventually) catch up with you after busting a gut closing the gap at 30+kmph uphill to do so, don't effortlessly smile and say "nice evening".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Idleater wrote: »
    Just remember that electric assistance when you beat everyone from standing starts. Your victory to the next red light is hollow.

Also, if someone does happen to (eventually) catch up with you after busting a gut closing the gap at 30+kmph uphill to do so, don't effortlessly smile and say "nice evening".

hahah yea
    at least im not competing like that lady recently who did not notice the difference in bikes :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement