Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lavinia wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how "real bikers" are looking on people who are riding hybrid (half-electric) bikes (as I just purchased one for work commute lol) :'D

If count as a "real" one I think they are great. Anything to get people out and about and reduce the number of cars on the road.
    Enjoy it and hope fully get a "real" one too eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

RobFowl wrote: »
    If count as a "real" one I think they are great. Anything to get people out and about and reduce the number of cars on the road.
    Enjoy it and hope fully get a "real" one too eventually :)

Yea my thoughts were just to get to work with a bike and not to be all sweaty so to have to shower straight away :o

And not sure why but have a feeling that "real bikers" would look down on people like me :o

so thought to ask :')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Yea my thoughts were just to get to work with a bike and not to be all sweaty so to have to shower straight away :o

And not sure why but have a feeling that "real bikers" would look down on people like me :o

so thought to ask :')

Be good see more ppl biking to work electric or otherwise, and less priority given to cars in peak hours when they twill take up 4or5 times the space

manafana wrote: »
    Be good see more ppl biking to work electric or otherwise, and less priority given to cars in peak hours when they twill take up 4or5 times the space
    Ah glad to hear
    I am happy to be able to avoid buses and all that traffic..

My bike is not full electrical so you still have to pedal, but get help on slopes up.. I am still getting the exercise though, but not as intense..
    I had a 'real bike' but had to sell it :'(, even was sad about it but the frame was also a little big for me so didn't feel comfortable with it even loved to cycle

This new one is to my size and it is a female frame so no horizontal bar.. feels good tbh :')

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm just wondering how "real bikers" are looking on people who are riding hybrid (half-electric) bikes (as I just purchased one for work commute lol) :'D
    I don't mind at all but it is a little disconcerting to see a Garmin fitted to some!

• Advertisement

I don't mind at all but it is a little disconcerting to see a Garmin fitted to some!

Oh gosh ya that's really not fair.. not my motive at all..
    This cycling is intense in case I use the first speed but second and third are really not as much.

But since now I do not have the real bike I wondered if I'd go cycle with some cycling groups I presume they would mind me not being on a real bike.. so I suddenly felt really lonely even it's good for the work and back thing...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Great to have more people out on bikes (so long as its just an assist and not an electric moped in disguise).

I also find them great for pace setting on decent stretches of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think it is going back, they have not made any comment that it would be unless I am mistaken, they seemed to ignore any comments made except for the stock reply of this is how it is.

There was a story last month:

https:// lovindublin.com/dublin/the-ghost-bike-at-harolds-cross-bridge-has-been-returned-by-the-council
    The Ghost Bike At Harold's Cross Bridge Has Been Returned By The Council
    After a public outcry, the council restored Zu Zhang Wong's memorial

Chuchote wrote: »
    There was a story last month:
    I hadn't heard, the council never responded to my query, just got a stock message back from them. I only read lovindublin when I see a link here.

I hope it has just been delayed, and not stolen.

I hope so too. My impression was that the council was putting it back immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

They are used for maps too. It's not all about speed and Strava!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I was trying to find something on Strava last week and came across the following.
    pKck7Rt.jpg

158km with 5,500 meters of climbing.

Dublin's "Gunny Hill/Hellfire" based climb.

That is some savage hill repeating right there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They are used for maps too. It's not all about speed and Strava!
    Indeed but I doubt the couple of commuting type cyclists I've seen with them on the Swords-City Centre route would require mapping. Just saying!

(Of course they could just be using the Garmin to record/log rides for personal use).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Indeed but I doubt the couple of commuting type cyclists I've seen with them on the Swords-City Centre route would require mapping. Just saying!

(Of course they could just be using the Garmin to record/log rides for personal use).

OH NO, THE KOMS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

69361452.jpg

Fabulous piece about a solo cycling holiday in France http:// cyclingtips.com/2016/07/getting-lost-in-france-cycling-abroad-alone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Chuchote wrote: »
    Fabulous piece about a solo cycling holiday in France http:// cyclingtips.com/2016/07/getting-lost-in-france-cycling-abroad-alone/

Nice article, I get the feeling she is no ordinary cyclist/athlete

"Monika is a German ultra-endurance racer based in Melbourne and one of our Ella ambassadors. She is a gravel grinder, exercise physiologist and mental toughness coach that loves cycling challenges which push her beyond her perceived physical limits. You can find more of her writing"

ford2600 wrote: »
    Nice article, I get the feeling she is no ordinary cyclist/athlete

"Monika is a German ultra-endurance racer based in Melbourne and one of our Ella ambassadors. She is a gravel grinder, exercise physiologist and mental toughness coach that loves cycling challenges which push her beyond her perceived physical limits. You can find more of her writing"

Heh!

But it's true — I cycled around France — or a little bit of it — years ago with a teenager and it was lovely; we used campsites, met some very nice people, and had the same experience of drivers moving to the opposite lane to pass (and passengers leaning out of the windows laughing and shouting "Allez! Allez! Allez!" pretending we were Tour de France athletes as we pedalled along piled high with tents and bulging panniers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Whats the opinion of Nico's new jersey
    CnE2J2_WIAAak5I.jpg:large
    I think they are limited in what they can do and it fits the Sky national jersey template.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

cunavalos wrote: »
    CnE2J2_WIAAak5I.jpg:large
    I think they are limited in what they can do and it fits the Sky national jersey template.
    Same as the British version bar the band around the middle, think it will look ok, will be good to see it out in Poland:

NCJ05XXZWH-product-h116-01_SMALL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm sure it looks better in the flesh than on a design file, looking forward to seeing it at the head of the race in Poland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think the way the side panels match the front makes the shamrock rectangle look like a clip art paste job. Maybe the real thing will look better...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that shamrock design used anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That British National Champions jersey looks pretty classy imo...

I think the way the side panels match the front makes the shamrock rectangle look like a clip art paste job. Maybe the real thing will look better...
    Thought that too, the side panelling breaks it up to much. Far better if it was a wrap.
    is that shamrock design used anywhere else?
    I don't know but I would have thought either the tristripe like the british one or even a wrap around flag Green on the right, gold on the left and a square of white in the middle (front and back) that would blend in to the top and bottom would be nice
    That British National Champions jersey looks pretty classy imo...
    It does, could be a number of countries though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

CramCycle wrote: »
    Thought that too, the side panelling breaks it up to much. Far better if it was a wrap.

I don't know but I would have thought either the tristripe like the british one or even a wrap around flag Green on the right, gold on the left and a square of white in the middle (front and back) that would blend in to the top and bottom would be nice

It does, could be a number of countries though

I think the tristripe isnt allowed by CI, white with a green band or green with with a white band are the templates

IIRC Aidan crowley from velorevolution had to change his from the tristripe to the green band (with shamrock)
    This was the original design
    muchogrande.jpg
    To this
    IMG_5356.jpg
    Judging from SKy other national jersey from this year the band will not go around as they don't want to interfere with the sponsors logo size
    CnFiad6XYAEsbYK.jpg

I think the tristripe isnt allowed by CI, white with a green band or green with with a white band are the templates

IIRC Aidan crowley from velorevolution had to change his from the tristripe to the green band (with shamrock)
    Pity, I think thats nice
    To this
    Bit to many shamrocks for me, it's like they are trying to steal the audax jersey and failing.
    Judging from SKy other national jersey from this year the band will not go around as they don't want to interfere with the sponsors logo size
    Also a pity as it looks better going around IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

An unmarked garda car tried to do me for speeding on St Johns road. They pulled me in at Heuston station and told me I had been going too fast before the junction with the south circular. The road is 60kmph at that point and I was doing about 35/40kmph while being overtaken by a stream of cars. The garda then muttered something about attending a fatality there a number of years ago and went away. I do hope he's not suffering some kind of PTSD as he seemed genuine if misguided.

I was just thinking, looking at the Portuguese yesterday, how their scarlet strip must have been a big help in instantly seeing your teammates when kicking the ball to them (if you could see them between the moths). Maybe wearing grass-green is a big disadvantage to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

An unmarked garda car tried to do me for speeding on St Johns road. They pulled me in at Heuston station and told me I had been going too fast before the junction with the south circular. The road is 60kmph at that point and I was doing about 35/40kmph while being overtaken by a stream of cars. The garda then muttered something about attending a fatality there a number of years ago and went away. I do hope he's not suffering some kind of PTSD as he seemed genuine if misguided.

I'm so close to the KOM on that stretch I can taste it. Nothing like a cop car coming behind to make you go faster!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement