Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Fian wrote: »
    https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/public-consultation-on-proposed-special-speed-limi/consultation/subpage.2016-07-06.7004763650/view

Public consultation on proposal for 30km/h speed limit inside the canals.

Anyone cycle commuting in dublin should be in favour of this imo.

Filled this out. It's a bit bizarre that it's obviously addressed only to people who drive, though.

I didn't do this, but it might be an idea to mention in the "other comments" section that protected cycle lanes are needed, especially because they'll make it more likely that children will be allowed to cycle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/public-consultation-on-proposed-special-speed-limi/consultation/subpage.2016-07-06.7004763650/view

Anyone cycle commuting in dublin should be in favour of this imo.

I'm a cyclist and I objected to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

here's the map - as you can see, most of the arterial routes are not coded yellow, the plan is not for a blanket 30km/h limit inside the canals.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Documents/Appendix%20E%20-%20rt3369_10%20-%2030KP%20Speed%20Limit%20Review-01.06.2016.pdf

I'm a cyclist and I objected to it.

Why did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Chuchote wrote: »
    Why did you?

nearly all research clearly points to reduced speeds, reducing accidents (aside from fact that any accidents where likely to be less serious in nature)

The speed of cars crossing over canal is worrying in my view, some speeds over lesson st bridge is mind boggling over 50km ph nevermind 30.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why did you?

Yet another law to go on the heap of them that are already unenforced. It's just tokenism, wanting to be seen to do something rather than actually do something.

Yet another law to go on the heap of them that are already unenforced. It's just tokenism, wanting to be seen to do something rather than actually do something.

It's a point. But have there been actual studies metering how many traffic laws are ignored by how many people in Dublin and in Ireland as a whole?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I agree with Jeps thinking. I would have preferred ANPR light cameras and speed cameras as well as average journey time ANPR cameras accross the city.

This said I agree with the 30kmph limit in many parts, but there is no point in having the law if it will never be reinforced.

Start with the above and then bring in the lower limit, and failing that just bring in the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with Jeps thinking. I would have preferred ANPR light cameras and speed cameras as well as average journey time ANPR cameras accross the city.

This said I agree with the 30kmph limit in many parts, but there is no point in having the law if it will never be reinforced.

Start with the above and then bring in the lower limit, and failing that just bring in the above.

Well you have change law first, you can't enforce what isn't in law, although agree that even some current speed limits are being ignored.

manafana wrote: »
    Well you have change law first, you can't enforce what isn't in law, although agree that even some current speed limits are being ignored.

i would say most speed limits in dublin city centre are routinely ignored when traffic allows. I often see cars at quiet times clipping along inner city roads at 80kmph ( I would be tipping along at 40kmph and they fly past me).

I agree with the 30kph, but there is no point unless they plan to enforce them, set up the cameras and then introduce the law, and have no marketing campaign, have the cameras pay for themselves inside of the week.

• Advertisement

Imagine the faces as they open the thousands of fines on the same day! "WHAT? IT'S AN OUTRAGE! I WASN'T BREAKING THE LAW! WHY DON'T THEY GO AND CHASE BURGLARS!" But after a week or two (if the cameras continued in use, of course) the traffic would suddenly find a new speed level.
    A bus driver told me years ago that in England buses have cameras fore and aft that automatically photograph cars in bus lanes, and fines are automatically issued…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Quick shout out for Dicksonbearings in Finglas. Very friendly and helpful - sorted me with new bearings for a Zonda freehub in no time. About half price compared to on-line and the staff were genuinely pleased to have helped me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was claimed on the commuting & transport forum that one way in which they would help - even with people breaching the speed limit - is that someone willing to do 60 in a current 50 zone might be willing to do only 45 in a 30 zone, so (if true) would reduce speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Quick shout out for Dicksonbearings in Finglas. Very friendly and helpful - sorted me with new bearings for a Zonda freehub in no time. About half price compared to on-line and the staff were genuinely pleased to have helped me.

Interesting. I need a set of Zonda hub bearings...

Will check them out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Imagine the faces as they open the thousands of fines on the same day! "WHAT? IT'S AN OUTRAGE! I WASN'T BREAKING THE LAW! WHY DON'T THEY GO AND CHASE BURGLARS!" But after a week or two (if the cameras continued in use, of course) the traffic would suddenly find a new speed level.
    A bus driver told me years ago that in England buses have cameras fore and aft that automatically photograph cars in bus lanes, and fines are automatically issued

This is something I would actively support. Sick of eejits beeping at me and telling me to get off the road where they themselves are not supposed to be. Even had a taxi driver with no passengers get aggressive then let in a private vehicle no problem.

Maybe it could be a fine that goes into Dublin Bus which would encourage them to actually do it.

i would certainly not welcome such a move, considering i've a bus lane outside my house, and cannot get the car into the driveway (i reverse in) without using the bus lane.

i've had one or two minor run ins with bus drivers over the last couple of years as a result. the one incident where we swapped pleasantries, the bus driver pulled up to my rear bumper - despite the fact i had reversing lights on, so as to prevent me reversing in - and told me i should have put my reversing lights on *before* i had passed the driveway. even the old guy standing beside the driver burst out laughing at this, which is what defused the situation somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

i've had one or two minor run ins with bus drivers over the last couple of years as a result. the one incident where we swapped pleasantries, the bus driver pulled up to my rear bumper - despite the fact i had reversing lights on, so as to prevent me reversing in - and told me i should have put my reversing lights on *before* i had passed the driveway.

Are you any good with a soldering iron? You should be able to rig something up.

it was claimed on the commuting & transport forum that one way in which they would help - even with people breaching the speed limit - is that someone willing to do 60 in a current 50 zone might be willing to do only 45 in a 30 zone, so (if true) would reduce speeds.

There was a drop in average speed on the relevant bit of the quays in Dublin after introduction of the 30 zone, IIRC, but it remained quite a bit above 30km/h.

I'm in favour, though I take the point about lack of enforcement. Some arguments are bogus though; it's not a blanket zone, doesn't include arterial routes, cars don't explode when driven for protracted periods at 30km/h, and it's not hard to drive at 30km/h without staring fixedly at the speedometer.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Are you any good with a soldering iron? You should be able to rig something up.
    yep, a switch which would turn the lights on five seconds before i hit the pedal.

yep, a switch which would turn the lights on five seconds before i hit the pedal.

Exactly. Manual override. Just make sure to explain it to the NCT people too.

• Advertisement

I would ask the driver what they thought my brake lights were trying to achieve as I slowed down. What would they have achieved if you had broken down, had a flat tyre etc.

Muppet

Vocabulary, in case anyone's going to France and needs to talk to the bike shop:

http://hubcycle.ca/articles/learn-to-speak-french-pg124.htm

Vocabulary, in case anyone's going to France and needs to talk to the bike shop:

Are there many people who use bidons who aren't aware they're called bidons in English too?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Are there many people who use bidons who aren't aware they're called bidons in English too?

The vast majority, I should imagine!

Fair enough! I'm pretty ignorant about sporting lingo, and I've heard of them.

George Hook retiring from the Right Hook?
    https://twitter.com/ghook/status/755850923558047744

I wasn't aware. I won't miss some bits of his repertoire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's moving to a lunchtime slot, a good time for him to rile the white van men up while eating their chicken rolls with his anti cycling rants.

you have to admire his luck. a failed businessman who frequently dodged those he owed money to, being given a job to vent his ill-thought out opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

True, it is unlikely that speeds will actually reduce to sub 30km/h. The hope would be that they reduce from the 60km/h people are comfortable travelling at in a 50km/h zone to around 40km/h. Speed limits do influence people even if they don't adhere to them, not least because there will always be some people who actually comply with them and others who are willing to risk a fine in the unlikely event they get caught but who will nevertheless be reluctant to be caught at 60km/h "twice the speed limit".

So the chnage in speed limit probably won't reduce speeds to 30km/h but it will reduce speeds.

On the motorway I set my cruise control at a little bit over the speed limit, if the speed limit were higher I would fix my speed higher. Of course I also do have regard to what is safe - i don't travel at even half the speed limit that applies on the little single lane boreen in connemara with blind turns I grew up on - 100km/h!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I see that the french for derailleur is also derailleur, but with one of those fadas over the first e.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I see that the french for derailleur is also derailleur, but with one of those fadas over the first e.

This (almost) wholesale adoption used to bother Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement