Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It too me a lot of effort to resist replying to this .....

https://twitter.com/TheRaceRadio/status/756122633549193216

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This (almost) wholesale adoption used to bother Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

I love the G. B. Shaw quotation at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

This (almost) wholesale adoption used to bother Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

Does he shout "Shappo" at superbly-performing cyclists?

Meanwhile in the same country, the street where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and various other types live has refused to allow a cycle lane, part of the 'Quietway' bypassing busy streets, to run through it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/quiet-cycling-route-through-londons-most-expensive-street-blocked-after-residents-complain-over-a3300781.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

@Beasty

My max speed from my spin today

66.6km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Are there many people who use bidons who aren't aware they're called bidons in English too?

Are they not bottles in English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

RobFowl wrote: »
    @Beasty

66.6km/h

It's catching
    Capture.pngimage hosting services

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    @Beasty

66.6km/h

Pffft. I did 69.8kmh on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Are they not bottles in English?

As I said, I'm no expert on sports lingo (to say the least), but I've heard people refer to the water bottles you carry on bikes as "bidons" many times. The recent interview with Chris Boardman on The Bike Show podcast has him referring to filling bidons, without elaborating on the term in any way.

Reminds me a little of my Swiss colleague who was disappointed to hear the English translation of Rucksack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering - while reading the usual threads about bike lanes, hi vis, etc., what the situation may be like in ten years time, if the glorious utopia of self-driving cars is reached.
    might there be a kind of IFF device on a bike which uses GPS and bluetooth v14 to broadcast for a 10m radius that there is a bike there, and what speed and direction it's travelling, or will the cars be clever enough to detect that themselves? so the cars would react to the bikes, rather than vice versa?

i.e. how much safer would it make cycling, and would that have an impact on cycling levels as it became much easier to cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

i was wondering - while reading the usual threads about bike lanes, hi vis, etc., what the situation may be like in ten years time, if the glorious utopia of self-driving cars is reached.
    might there be a kind of IFF device on a bike which uses GPS and bluetooth v14 to broadcast for a 10m radius that there is a bike there, and what speed and direction it's travelling, or will the cars be clever enough to detect that themselves? so the cars would react to the bikes, rather than vice versa?

i.e. how much safer would it make cycling, and would that have an impact on cycling levels as it became much easier to cycle?

It should be easier to ban cars from certain streets. The government could have a central database of banned streets and the cars would access this database and automatically obey. Sounds like utopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

self drive cars would be fantastic for cyclists, they react to any range of moving objects

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

I imagine that if self-driving cars function to the standards that are currently imagined, it can only make it a lot safer. I hope, though, that there's no tendency for cyclists to take advantage of that by breaking more red lights or whatever. Here's a video a friend showed me that is food for thought on self-driving cars:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

how easy would it be to hack self drive cars to always remain 1 ft in front of a cyclist, allowing for really great moto pacing sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Went in to renew my driving licence this morning for another 10 years (or so I thought!). The girl processed everything, I paid the €55 and she said it would be sent to me in a few days.

Then she reminded me that I will need to re-submit a Medical Fitness Certificate in 5 years. So I assumed that they would just adjust the dates on the Group 2 categories for another 5 years. No - I'd have to buy another 10 year licence.

I suggested to her that it was effectively a 5 year licence as the 10 year licence would have to be renewed every 5 years. Not at all she replied. The Group 1 categories (which don't require a Medical Fitness Certificate) are valid for 10 years. But it's the same document - you can have Group 1 without Group 2 but it doesn't work the other way around, so it's a bit pointless giving me a 10 year licence for Group 1 when it's of no use to me. Seems a bit unfair to me.

(Incidently, she removed the Eircode from my address saying the don't use them. What hope is there of getting the general public to use them when Government Departments won't?)

What a scam, Wishbone.

If it makes you feel better, one of next year's Cannondale frames: http://bicycletimesmag.com/new-2017-bikes-previewed-at-press-camp/

392414.jpg

Translation, please, if people would be so kind:
    The new Quick bikes will each feature a 55 mm fork offset, more upright position and a slacker head angle than previous models for a more stable ride.

Does "a slacker head angle" mean more slanty or less? Will it have a lower standover height or higher, with this slacker angle? And will it be more suitable for slackers ;)

Quicks will come with rack and fender mounts, reflective graphics, the same road vibration-absorbing rear triangle design as Cannondale’s high-end road bikes, puncture-resistant tires and the option for an integrated kickstand ($30).

Rack and fender — is that a mount for a back carrier and one for mudguards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

manafana wrote: »
    self drive cars would be fantastic for cyclists, they react to any range of moving objects

They'll also be fantastic for the idiots who drive around killing and maiming themselves and others.

Anyone who gets any form of driving without due care and attention conviction should lose the right to a conventional car or any overide of self driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Thud wrote: »

I'm more into the front than the rear but they don't seem to have pictures of those

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

letape wrote: »
    I'm more into the front than the rear but they don't seem to have pictures of those

As the bishop said to the actress... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm hoping google is trolling me based on the threads I've been reading lately. I did a google search on the above photo.

The results were "Personal Protective Equipment - Health and Safety Authority", and lots of photos of guys wearing high vis vests and other safety equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm hoping google is trolling me based on the threads I've been reading lately. I did a google search on the above photo.

The results were "Personal Protective Equipment - Health and Safety Authority", and lots of photos of guys wearing high vis vests and other safety equipment.

Stronger google-fu needed?

http://mogaznews.com/en/Sport/103126/sport-news-Chris-Froome-wins-Natourcriterium-Aalst-less-than-24-hours-after-confirming-.html

It omits the vital question, what beer were they drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Jeez, he's some man for one man, winning a criterium the day after the Tour finishes, and beating renowned sprinter Rafel Majka, into second place, in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Jeez, he's some man for one man, winning a criterium the day after the Tour finishes, and beating renowned sprinter Rafel Majka, into second place, in the process.

Aren't all post-tour crits fixed anyway? I think they know beforehand who is going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Been putting in a lot of mileage of late and then last night played probably the quickest and most intense 5-a-side match I've been involved in in a long time... My legs are in a bundle here today

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Aren't all post-tour crits fixed anyway? I think they know beforehand who is going to win.

Yeah, more or less, based on what I read in Rough Ride.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

The winner ans podium is usually secided in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement