Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There was another of these crits in Holland last night and three Dutch riders, who competed in the Tour were 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And the funny thing is, none of them are noted sprinters.
    The Tour must do great things for riders' fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Might have been posted already but I haven't seen it, a great video on how to master an echelon

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/756096815494115329

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bike TV will be showing the Tour of Utah next week for anyone looking for a live cycling fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone looking for a nice groupset for their winter hack?
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/182218062281

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a nice groupset for their winter hack?
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/182218062281
    Not at €80 shipping......

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's some form of thread necromancy going on here lately with all the old treads being dug up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The Ultimate turbo for a trackie :pac:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHuzozkBjI9/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The crash pads inspire confidence :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyone have any opinions on the crivit cycling shoes in lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Two questions:

Anyone know anywhere that would engrave my name on my bike-to-be (aluminium frame)? A meeting of a new neighbourhood watch group last night, and someone said a local German had had his bike stolen, but because it was individually painted and had his name engraved on it, the Gardaí got it back the next day.

And (on something of the same theme) a friend who's particularly stuck at the moment, work having dried up, had her quick-release bike wheel quick-released by some nasty little thief. She's been quoted €40 for a new wheel and this just isn't possible for her right now. Is there a motherlode of secondhand wheels somewhere where I could pick one up for her at a reasonable price? (I don't know the size or even the bike model yet.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Chuchote wrote: »
    Two questions:

Anyone know anywhere that would engrave my name on my bike-to-be (aluminium frame)? A meeting of a new neighbourhood watch group last night, and someone said a local German had had his bike stolen, but because it was individually painted and had his name engraved on it, the Gardaí got it back the next day.

And (on something of the same theme) a friend who's particularly stuck at the moment, work having dried up, had her quick-release bike wheel quick-released by some nasty little thief. She's been quoted €40 for a new wheel and this just isn't possible for her right now. Is there a motherlode of secondhand wheels somewhere where I could pick one up for her at a reasonable price? (I don't know the size or even the bike model yet.)

Just take note of the serial number.

Raam wrote: »
    Just take note of the serial number.

Ah, but how does the would-be thief know that I have taken such note? The Gardaí told the person who told us this that having your name engraved is off-putting for thieves, because the bike is too clearly one person's property.

(And of course I'll take note of the serial number, I'm not an idiot ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ah, but how does the would-be thief know that I have taken such note? The Gardaí told the person who told us this that having your name engraved is off-putting for thieves, because the bike is too clearly one person's property.

(And of course I'll take note of the serial number, I'm not an idiot ;) )

I dunno, put a sticker on it telling them? ;-)

Raam wrote: »
    I dunno, put a sticker on it telling them? ;-)

Seriously, though: if I went to see a bike on Adverts or Gumtree or DoneDeal and it was engraved "Property of John Q Raam" I'd want a shop receipt made out to Mr Raam; so would a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Front or back wheel? I have a spare 10-speed rear wheel for a road bike available that's picking up dust, I'm not sure if it has a tyre on it though. Dublin based.

brianomc wrote: »
    Front or back wheel? I have a spare 10-speed rear wheel for a road bike available that's picking up dust, I'm not sure if it has a tyre on it though. Dublin based.

Thanks very much; have had a kind offer of a wheel, but I have to find out what size wheel my buddy needs. Front wheel it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Front road bike wheel here if needed. Free gratis

You're all so kind! Thank you so much! I've sent my friend a text and left a voicemail asking her for the wheel measurements of the back wheel, and the make and model of the bike.
    It's a Claud Butler Urban 100 woman's bike, which apparently takes a 700C wheel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Seriously, though: if I went to see a bike on Adverts or Gumtree or DoneDeal and it was engraved "Property of John Q Raam" I'd want a shop receipt made out to Mr Raam; so would a lot of people.

If you buy any bike on a second hand site, you should look for proof of ownership and look very carefully at the seller if it isn't forthcoming. A lot of people on these sites seem to have a lot of second hand bikes passing through their hands and while many may be legit, many are probably not.

I also have a spare 700c road front wheel with tyre and QR if you're friend doesn't get sorted. Not sure whether a road wheel would suit a hybrid though if that's what your friend cycles.

smacl wrote: »
    If you buy any bike on a second hand site, you should look for proof of ownership and look very carefully at the seller if it isn't forthcoming. A lot of people on these sites seem to have a lot of second hand bikes passing through their hands and while many may be legit, many are probably not.

I also have a spare 700c road front wheel with tyre and QR if you're friend doesn't get sorted. Not sure whether a road wheel would suit a hybrid though if that's what your friend cycles.

Thanks, smaci — she cycles (or rather cycled) a a Claud Butler Urban 100 woman's bike. Is that a hybrid? The Claud Butler site describes it like this:
    For those who spend their days in the city, or that simply aren’t tempted by venturing off-road, our range of Urban bikes are a great choice. Attractive, durable frames, bomb-proof specs and great value for money. The Urban 100 is a great, everyday bike and has a spec that can handle long term use, with minimal maintenance.

It would be great to get her a wheel if it's a spare and not needed; several very kind offers, public and PM. What kind people here! It would be so brilliant to get the girl back on the road; at the moment she's walking everywhere.

Picture (from Claud Butler website) of what these bikes look like:

392873.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks, smaci — she cycles (or rather cycled) a a Claud Butler Urban 100 woman's bike. Is that a hybrid?

That is a hybrid, the wheel diameter is most likely fine but I'm not sure whether the forks are the right width for a road wheel. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can advise, if not my wife has a similar bike and I'll check it this evening. The handling would be slightly different, as the Claude Butler most probably has 37mm tyres one slightly wider rims where the road wheel would have probably have 23/25 or 28mm (might actually be an improvement!)

smacl wrote: »
    That is a hybrid, the wheel diameter is most likely fine but I'm not sure whether the forks are the right width for a road wheel. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can advise, if not my wife has a similar bike and I'll check it this evening. The handling would be slightly different, as the Claude Butler most probably has 37mm tyres one slightly wider rims where the road wheel would have probably have 23/25 or 28mm (might actually be an improvement!)

Thanks so much! It would — will — be great to get her back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had two hybrids (Raleigh) and I put 28s on both of them (700x28). I think that was the smallest they would take, but I think that's standard for hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I have a front wheel from a Charge Plug which has a 700 x 32 tyre on it that has feck all mileage on it that she can have, looking online that Claud butler comes with 700 x 35.

It's not quick release though, has a blot that needs a spanner to take on and off.

Crocked wrote: »
    I have a front wheel from a Charge Plug which has a 700 x 32 tyre on it that has feck all mileage on it that she can have, looking online that Claud butler comes with 700 x 35.

It's not quick release though, has a blot that needs a spanner to take on and off.

I think she's realised that quick release is not necessarily a good thing! ;)

She lives up in Kilmainham, where are you? Thanks!

The wheel I have would be of little use I'd imagine so, I was running 700x23 tyres. I'm in the Kilmainham area myself so can help with fitting if you need tools for the wheel kindly offered by somebody else

Holy mother of God. Anybody see the story about the cyclist in Clondalkin last night?
    Pulled from her bike at 3am and sexually attacked by a group of men

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I think she's realised that quick release is not necessarily a good thing! ;)

She lives up in Kilmainham, where are you? Thanks!

I've just sent a PM

Many, many thanks to all; Crocked is going to bring a wheel out and help us fit it. What a bunch of belters! Thank you all so very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This is horrific:

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/female-cyclist-raped-after-being-pulled-into-park-in-early-hours-34918829.html

Hateful to say but mind yourselves out there.

ETA No, fcuk that. Oh the anger :mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement