Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Does nylon work better than polyester, then?

I think it was invented/available earlier. The point of nylon in those days was that you could rinse it out and it'd be dry overnight.
    Raam wrote: »
    Because it's mostly men trying to hide the real price from their wife.

Ah, the warm fuzzy memories of widows ringing up to tell the employer that her pension is way too high, as a proportion of her husband's wages… not realising that he'd been concealing a third of his wages from her for years. On the other hand, at the same time - back in the 1970s-1990s, it was the norm for husbands to hand over the whole fat jingly banknote-squashy pay envelope to his wife, and get some pocket money back, while she dealt with all the expenses. That was pretty much universally how it went among the lower middle and middle middle classes, anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    Lads or ladies hiding the real price still makes no sense to me. Why if you're an adult can you not spend your money on whatever you want after you have met your communal financial responsibilities?
    We're quite frugal in our house and TBH anything I spend on bike stuff is not much more than petty cash....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    We're quite frugal in our house and TBH anything I spend on bike stuff is not much more than petty cash....

:P

Ah feck off with your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

the lower middle and middle middle classes, anyway.

Did people really buy all that, back then ?

I thought it was just Insurance companies and Governent advisors ( and later, the Irish Times ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm not usually one to rant, cry or throw a tantrum.. But by Jaysus I was seething earlier.

I've NEVER passed a cyclist broken down, never.. But I was caught with a puncture tonight (around 21:30) at the wooden bridge in Clontarf ~ usually not a big problem at all, but tonight one of my two tyre levers broke whilst trying to get the tyre off.

So in the pissing rain I was left with one tyre lever and thank f**k for years of Judo giving me enough grip strength to tear the tyre from the rim.

And yes, every cyclist pissed on past without a backwards glance.

Just one bloody tyre lever would have made a massive difference to my night.

May the curse of the seven scabby orphans haunt every cyclist who whizzed past me tonight.

Home now, showered and warm again ~ with a whiskey!!.

Oh, on a plus.. I used an Aldi repair kit, apart from the lever breaking the pump and patches worked great (I think the pump cost me about a fiver a few years ago) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Bummer dude.

I will say I now try and assess if someone wants my help or not, as I've had a lot of borderline hostile responses to genuine offers/inquiries.

But I reckon if I saw someone really flailing I'd assume they wanted help. And well Tyre levers are not exactly rolled in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Did you ask any of them for help and they ignored you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think I've always offered help since I started cycling about 5 years ago (but then, you hardly see any cyclists down here). I think one person has accepted help, but even just one person makes it totally worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I offer help but have never been taken up on it, which is lucky as I would be largely useless. The moral support I can offer however is second to none!

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Did you ask any of them for help

Its the main cycle route through Clontarf/Dollymount, if I was to ask for help from every passing cyclist I'd never have had the time to fix the puncture!.

So the answer to your question is NO, I was too busy repairing a puncture in the dark & rain to ask the dozens of 'cyclists' who passed me in that time.

No biggie. But a lesson learned all the same.. Still, I'll always stop and ask a cyclist if they need help.

Incidently, a thought just occurred to me, and I posted about it on this forum early in the summer.. I was passing a cyclist the the Alfie Byrne/Clontarf Road junction, it was a lovely summers day (a rarity this summer) and the lad was lying down.

Thinking at first he was enjoying the weather I got the feeling something was wrong, and I was right.. The lad had been knocked from his bike. He was in a state of shock and confusion and more worried that his dad would complain about the damage to the bike more than his own welfare.

Without getting into laying blame or guilt, but it only takes a second to ask someone they need help.. And my experience is that almost 100% of the time they won't, but it costs nothing to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Was out cycling earlier in clontarf and saw this cyclist trying to fix a puncture, I could tell from the persons forearms that they had many years experience in judo so I didn't bother stopping, had a rucksack full of tyre levers as well on my back

Zyzz wrote: »
    Was out cycling earlier in clontarf and saw this cyclist trying to fix a puncture, I could tell from the persons forearms that they had many years experience in judo so I didn't bother stopping, had a rucksack full of tyre levers as well on my back

The cauliflowers ears are the give away, the forearms ~ well they're from something else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Besides your rickshaw driver never would have stopped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Would you?

11870781_10153169743078667_4363429360408408622_n.jpg?oh=e006bbc73f7caa8512971beec9ef2b9b&oe=5660454F

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Did people really buy all that, back then ?

I thought it was just Insurance companies and Governent advisors ( and later, the Irish Times ).

Classes? Oh, class still exists, very much so. Until we have equal pay, they will exist. And pay now is a lot less equal than then; the politicians of those times, for instance, would never have dreamed of expecting the fantasy salaries and pensions paid to our current overlords.

A quick chapeau to Dan Price https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Price

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Its the main cycle route through Clontarf/Dollymount, if I was to ask for help from every passing cyclist I'd never have had the time to fix the puncture!.

So the answer to your question is NO, I was too busy repairing a puncture in the dark & rain to ask the dozens of 'cyclists' who passed me in that time.

No biggie. But a lesson learned all the same.. Still, I'll always stop and ask a cyclist if they need help.

Incidently, a thought just occurred to me, and I posted about it on this forum early in the summer.. I was passing a cyclist the the Alfie Byrne/Clontarf Road junction, it was a lovely summers day (a rarity this summer) and the lad was lying down.

Thinking at first he was enjoying the weather I got the feeling something was wrong, and I was right.. The lad had been knocked from his bike. He was in a state of shock and confusion and more worried that his dad would complain about the damage to the bike more than his own welfare.

Without getting into laying blame or guilt, but it only takes a second to ask someone they need help.. And my experience is that almost 100% of the time they won't, but it costs nothing to ask.

Serves you right for buying your kit in Aldi ......

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

one of my two tyre levers broke whilst trying to get the tyre off. :)

I had a few of the plastic tyre levers break while fixing punctures in the middle of nowhere. Got the metal levers in halfords for about a fiver and haven't got a puncture since!!

Dervla Murphy says she can't fix a puncture:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/dervla-murphy-living-life-on-her-own-terms-28895587.html
    I presume she knew how to fix a puncture?

"No," she mumbles. "Not a hope. It was like mathematics -- I never tried to learn. Now that's where the men came in. I'd sit down at the side of the road until a suitable man came along. I carried a spare tube and spare everything for other people to put in. One day in Afghanistan I had nine punctures"

(gasp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Pedro's Tyre Levers. Don't get metal levers, they're not required and involve a greater risk of damaging wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'd throw myself down a hill on a bike, but would never use metal levels, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dara in Bee Cycles recommended Birzman tyre levers to me. I really like them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd throw myself down a hill on a bike, but would never use metal levels, ever.

Try these. plastic, reinforced with stainless steel. I have them years, absolutely no problem.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-shuttle-tyre-levers-1-2/rp-prod28714

Tough, hard wearing and easy on tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

bumped into a lad i know from swords at the side of the road one day - he was with another rider who was in a bit of bother. His tyre was destroyed with a lovely big tear. Luckily I had a spare tyre in my backpack i was able to give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm not usually one to rant, cry or throw a tantrum.. But by Jaysus I was seething earlier.

I've NEVER passed a cyclist broken down, never.. But I was caught with a puncture tonight (around 21:30) at the wooden bridge in Clontarf ~ usually not a big problem at all, but tonight one of my two tyre levers broke whilst trying to get the tyre off.

So in the pissing rain I was left with one tyre lever and thank f**k for years of Judo giving me enough grip strength to tear the tyre from the rim.

And yes, every cyclist pissed on past without a backwards glance.

Just one bloody tyre lever would have made a massive difference to my night.

May the curse of the seven scabby orphans haunt every cyclist who whizzed past me tonight.

Home now, showered and warm again ~ with a whiskey!!.

Oh, on a plus.. I used an Aldi repair kit, apart from the lever breaking the pump and patches worked great (I think the pump cost me about a fiver a few years ago) :)

Ah that's a pity. I had a blow out just after Stepaside yesterday evening and despite changing tyres/tubes a good few times I was having trouble - thought it was my pump that was the issue. As one guy passed I motioned him that I needed a pump, he stopped but couldn't help as he didn't have anything. Next guy passing I again motioned that I could do with some help, he stopped and we got it sorted. Then a third man in a car stopped to give me use of his track pump. Limped home from there... (Damn Conti GP4000's and their weak side walls)

I guess I got all the helpful people yesterday evening and used up the goodwill before you had your issue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

gadetra wrote: »
    It's also sexist as hell.

lennymc wrote: »
    bumped into a lad i know from swords at the side of the road one day - he was with another rider who was in a bit of bother. His tyre was destroyed with a lovely big tear. Luckily I had a spare tyre in my backpack i was able to give him.

Did you give it to him?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did you give it to him?

He gave him his 25mm one.

colm18 wrote: »
    He gave him his 25mm one.

Are we still talking about the same thing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I had a puncture up Tibradden Mountain one evening this week and not one cyclist appeared to help me (or point out that trying to ride up there on cross bike was a bit stupid).

On commutes I would normally slow down and ask if people are ok. Surprised how many people will set out for work with no spares or the vaguest notion of how to change a tube.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement