Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gadetra wrote: »
    I offer help but have never been taken up on it, which is lucky as I would be largely useless. The moral support I can offer however is second to none!

I'm that guy on the street to where kids are sent if they have something wrong with their bike, or needs something pumped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daragh_ wrote: »
    ... Surprised how many people will set out for work with no spares or the vaguest notion of how to change a tube.
    ...Or the amount of experienced cyclists who carry cheap mini-pumps which don't work when required.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm at that guy on the street to where kids are sent if they have something wrong with their bike, or needs something pumped up.
    I'm one of those also! "My daddy said you would oil my chain/pump my tyres/fix my brakes etc." :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the same thing here?

You know we are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm that guy on the street to where kids are sent if they have something wrong with their bike, or needs something pumped up.

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

...Or the amount of experienced cyclists who carry cheap mini-pumps which don't work when required.

After paying something like a fiver for the mini pump in either Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which) I wasn't really expecting it to work, but it did an admirable job :D

However I keep it on my hybrid, which is seldom so far from home that I couldnt be rescued or walk home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

(or point out that trying to ride up there on cross bike was a bit stupid).

Stupid is as stupid does. Was up there on the cross bike myself Tuesday lunch, though frazzled enough just getting up Tibradden lane before the forest entrance, and didn't appreciate having my weaving around options seriously curtailed when I met a jeep coming the other way on one of the steeper bits. On the plus side, its a lot less muddy than Massey's at the moment. Still looking for the magical hidden path that links Tibradden to Kilmashogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Cyclists might not pay attention in an urban area because its hard to know if anyones really in trouble ( if so, you'd presume they would raise their hand and ask for help ).

Passing by someone stopped out on the country roads, I would ask if everything was OK though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

gadetra wrote: »
    I offer help but have never been taken up on it, which is lucky as I would be largely useless. The moral support I can offer however is second to none!

I offered some help to someone (manafana?) with a flat recently out near Stepaside and made such a bollix of patching the tyre I reckon he would have been better off if I'd left it at moral support. Done it often enough before, but not this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Cyclists might not pay attention in an urban area because its hard to know if anyones really in trouble ( if so, you'd presume they would raise their hand and ask for help ).

Passing by someone stopped out on the country roads, I would ask if everything was OK though.

I'd always offer help, "have you got everything you need" sounds better than "are you able to fix a basic puncture you moron" given you never know who that cyclist is; he could have forgotten more about cycling than I know.

I'd be tempted to leave some lad who hadn't bothered to learn or hadn't means of fixing a puncture. I know two lads who don't bring anything but just wait until someone comes to help them. FFS

smacl wrote: »
    I offered some help to someone (manafana?) with a flat recently out near Stepaside and made such a bollix of patching the tyre I reckon he would have been better off if I'd left it at moral support. Done it often enough before, but not this time.

About eight years ago I was passing a lady who waved me down.. There was smoke coming from behind her car radio and her central locking wasn't working.

Being the bloody hero I am I told her I'd bust open her door window and extinguish the flames with my cars fire extinguisher.

**SMASH** the window goes in and almost immediately the car burns to a crisp, gutted!..

When the fire fighters came out I told one of them what had happened, to which the fireman smiled... 'Ahhh, you see when you smashed the window you let oxygen into the car, a common mistake".

Punctures I can fix, car radio fires I'm fooking useless :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Surprised how many people will set out for work with no spares or the vaguest notion of how to change a tube.

These people need to learn the hard way - by being left at the side of the road to contemplate their uselessness/foolhardiness.

It is only OK to halp when it appears they've been there for at least 2 hours and/or the sun is about to set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

el tel wrote: »
    These people need to learn the hard way - by being left at the side of the road to contemplate their uselessness/foolhardiness.

It is only OK to halp when it appears they've been there for at least 2 hours and/or the sun is about to set.

If you see me at the side of the road, you might offer to help. I've succeeded in fixing a puncture perhaps once in the 20 times I've tried it. Usually I just walk the bike home, probably after sitting down for a little cry.

If you see me at the side of the road, you might offer to help. I've succeeded in fixing a puncture perhaps once in the 20 times I've tried it. Usually I just walk the bike home, probably after sitting down for a little cry.

Even if you don't want to carry a spare tube todays patches are not like the old rubber patches which came with the old kits were you'd to sand/roughen up the patch surrounding the puncture hole, then use a tube of adhesive (which never worked in the cold or wet).

Today's patches are really strong & self adhesive.. Find the hole, stick on the patch and you're away in five minutes.

They're really good & simple to use these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

20 punctures is an awful lot, and only one successful repair is very few.

Do you actually try patching up the puncture at the roadside, or do you try to replace the tube?

For what it's worth, in reality I'd never ride past anyone when out in the sticks, you never know what their issue is. People laugh at me when they see that I carry three spare tubes and a repair kit in my pocket, they don't appreciate that they're not all intended for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

When the fire fighters came out I told one of them what had happened, to which the fireman smiled... 'Ahhh, you see when you smashed the window you let oxygen into the car, a common mistake".

A point covered in an episode of Fireman Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

About eight years ago I was passing a lady who waved me down.. There was smoke coming from behind her car radio and her central locking wasn't working.

Being the bloody hero I am I told her I'd bust open her door window and extinguish the flames with my cars fire extinguisher.

**SMASH** the window goes in and almost immediately the car burns to a crisp, gutted!..

Punctures I can fix, car radio fires I'm fooking useless :o

Did said fire fighter mention what your suppose to do instead? :confused:
    Surely the car would go up in flames anyway?

Did said fire fighter mention what your suppose to do instead? :confused:
    Surely the car would go up in flames anyway?
    Just let the it burn totally. It makes the whole insurance thing a lot easier than being left with a partially burnt vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Port tunnel was closed this morning, and I knew traffic would be heavier, trucks etc, and drivers would be getting angsty. Anyway in the bus lane and a car pulls into my path, I clobber the back of the car with the right side of my bars, and just manage to stay upright. Car speeds off, driver maybe thinking of escape... but of course there is a small matter of a traffic light and a Garda car pulled up on the footpath.

Anyway, car pulls back into traffic and I sail up to the drivers side to say in my best english, "Excuse me Sir, but if you had looked in your mirrors before pulling into the bus lane you may have noticed me and not hit me." To which of course the driver would have said "Gosh, were you that close, I thought I'd given you loads of room, I'm so sorry, is your bike OK" Instead it sounded like "Are u effing blind, did you not see me" followed by "Fcuk off you stupid cyclists, you were going to fast, and I was not in the Bus Lane anyway, that was another car." And he rolled up the window.

I gently tapped on the window, and to my utter shock, it shattered into a million fragments. The driver of the adjacent car burst out laughing and said "Serves you right". I promptly said "Yes you fecker, its your fault" and clipped in and sped off.

Afterwards, in work, pangs of guilt washed over me all day, and now I'm thinking, "What if he was going to collect the wife and new baby from the Coombe" and stuff like that.

Seeking forgiveness from the great Cycling God above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You are forgiven, go in peace, my child.

Puggy wrote: »
    Aftrewards, in work, it dawned on me that I was wearing my McNally Swords CC kit and that he will be able to hunt me down....
    Fixed your post.

Be afraid, be very afraid! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tomasrojo wrote: »
    A point covered in an episode of Fireman Sam.

Christ, I have the song for that permanently stuck in my head. The young fella loves it. Good tune though.

Raam wrote: »
    .... The young fella loves it....
    Lusk Doyle?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle?

Thought he was more into Postman Pat - he absolutely adores that black and white cat, by all accounts....

...Early in the morning, just as day is dawning
    He picks up all the post bags in his van...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought he was more into Postman Pat - he absolutely adores that black and white cat, by all accounts....

...Early in the morning, just as day is dawning
    He picks up all the post bags in his van...

That accident has affected you more than you thought!!!

Daisy, daisy give me your answer do........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Puggy wrote: »
    now I'm thinking, "What if he was going to collect the wife and new baby from the Coombe" and stuff like that.

Seeking forgiveness from the great Cycling God above.

I've had this happen to me when in the car, sorta. I had a van cut me off coming out of a side lane around Parnell Square. He pulled into traffic with nowhere to go so he was left looking at me. He rolled his window down and I was expecting an earful but he apologised saying he was bringing his wife and kid home from hospital.

Another time while out running I spotted a car straddling the footpad skipping queuing traffic on the inside. First thoughts was that it was stolen or just a nutter. When I got closer I could see a very distressed women in the passenger seat holding a wrapped up child so I guessed they were rushing to the doctor or hospital.

Then I was the driver myself once rushing my then 3 year old to hospital who suffered a concussion and was vomiting and got the shivers afterwards. There's some amount of people out there who try police you, I particularly remember one private coach driver who tried to set up a rolling road block on me when I was using the buslane which he wasn't at the time. He moved into it so I moved out to the regular lane. The asshole went to straddle the 2 lanes when I moved out only he couldn't match my acceleration. He put on his full lights when I went by and left them on for a bit.

I think experiences like this help you be more mellow on the road. Although it's still hard not to get riled up when you see obvious piss taking.

P.s. This is no way a comment on what you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Fixed your post.

Be afraid, be very afraid! :eek:

Did you see me?

Raam wrote: »
    Christ, I have the song for that permanently stuck in my head. The young fella loves it. Good tune though.

My suspicion that the theme tune is meant to mimic the sound of a siren is backed up by the Wikipedia page. The start of I am the Walrus shares that inspiration, interestingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My suspicion that the theme tune is meant to mimic the sound of a siren is backed up by the Wikipedia page. The start of I am the Walrus shares that inspiration, interestingly enough.

Suspicion?

Oh, all right then. I was being modest. Suspicion -> staggering insight

I see so much children's television that I have developed Mark Kermode-style opinions on them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Oh, all right then. I was being modest. Suspicion -> staggering insight

I see so much children's television that I have developed Mark Kermode-style opinions on them all.

The oeuvre of Oliver Postgate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement