Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The oeuvre of Oliver Postgate?

I missed the retrospective at the IFI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Postgate, auteur of the classic Pingwings, Pogles' Wood, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Clangers and Bagpuss, produced children's TV that in some cases was so dark that it was withdrawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Postgate

I have everything he made, but can't watch some of them without sucking the corner of my blanky.

Postgate, auteur of the classic Pingwings, Pogles' Wood, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Clangers and Bagpuss, produced children's TV that in some cases was so dark that it was withdrawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Postgate

I have everything he made, but can't watch some of them without sucking the corner of my blanky.

Charlie Brooker did a very nice tribute to him, in both The Guardian and in his Screenwipe show.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Charlie Brooker did a very nice tribute to him, in both The Guardian and in his Screenwipe show.

An English classic. Or Welsh, in the case of Ivor the Engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Just bought a cheap second hand bike to commute..

Heres a pic

5ctRl6l.jpg?1

• Advertisement

a) Dear God, what is that?
    b) It'll be stolen in no time. You can't lock it through the back wheel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

a) Dear God, what is that?
    b) It'll be stolen in no time. You can't lock it through the back wheel.
    I suspect he's not actually bought it

If he has we should perhaps alert Bradley Wiggins as there's every chance he would be asking the Guards to nip round to Zyzz's gaff on the lookout for stolen property

I would just add that the UCI banned the use of front disc wheels outdoors as much wind and you get blown all over the place
    Small tip - don't believe half the stuff Zyzz says around here and particularly in this thread - that way he'll only be winding you up half the time ....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Speaking of which:

Evelyn Stevens' TT bike stolen at the Worlds
    Police looking for a middle-aged man who stole the Specialized Shiv machine from hotel

... not guilty M'Lud!

Beasty wrote: »
    Small tip - don't believe half the stuff Zyzz says around here and particularly in this thread - that way he'll only be winding you up half the time ....

I wasn't altogether serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just sorted the roadbike after this morning's disastrous clam bolt failure, in the workshop in Thinkbike buying a new clamp after the old one was deemed beyond saving, when the mechanic stops himself and says "Actually, I have this second hand one that's half the price that would probably be better for your bike".

Loves me some Thinkbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Any recommendations on water bottles that don't make the water taste like plasting? Ones that fit in standard cages.

Halfway through a spin yesterday and my water made me want to vomit

Any recommendations on water bottles that don't make the water taste like plasting? Ones that fit in standard cages.

Camelbak Podium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I wasn't altogether serious.

It's grand. Neither is Zyzz as a bike rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I have always found the normal elite ones work perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Kleen Kanteen make great bottles. I've two of them. Downsides are, they're expensive, you have to buy the sports too separately, they're heavier than plastic bottles, and they can be noisy as hell. But I still prefer them to normal bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

camelbak as well (but i like the nozzles) the elite ones in the car arent bad either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'd recommend rule no 5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks all. I'll have a look the suggestions
    RobFowl wrote: »
    I'd recommend rule no 5

I'm a big girl, what can I say. Ya cheeky bollox lol

I did have to Google that

Daily Mail Comments ‏
    @BestoftheMail
    Press conference
    Cameron: Anyone have any questions
    *everyone raises hands*
    Cameron: That aren't about the pig?
    *everyone lowers hands*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's grand. Neither is Zyzz as a bike rider.

Last time you posted something similar I ruined my bike and ended up in hospital..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Zyzz wrote: »
    Last time you posted something similar I ruined my bike and ended up in hospital..

Oh...did you have a crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Even if you don't want to carry a spare tube todays patches are not like the old rubber patches which came with the old kits were you'd to sand/roughen up the patch surrounding the puncture hole, then use a tube of adhesive (which never worked in the cold or wet).

Today's patches are really strong & self adhesive.. Find the hole, stick on the patch and you're away in five minutes.

They're really good & simple to use these days.

it never occurred to me that patches would have improved since I was a kid (in teh 80s) but of course it makes sense that they would have. Maybe i should stop just throwing away punctured tubes and replacing them, and get some patches instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

haven't been on in month as i have only just noticed the new thread.

straw poll im cycling decent pace from m50 towards rathfarnham/marlay park. Few roundabouts quiet bit of traffic straight through on each.

Some lad on hybrid was trying to overtake me after slowing for traffic on roundabout I make a comment not rudely as such but basically saying I will have to just overtake you again once your past me.

He then commented to say "why don't you f***ing use your hands to single" or the like. I actually indicate quiet a bit especially when moving lanes etc. in this case going straight one I might lower hand to signal break, I would use my hands on bars to show oncoming traffic im turning. Is this how most would do it.

manafana wrote: »
    haven't been on in month as i have only just noticed the new thread.

straw poll im cycling decent pace from m50 towards rathfarnham/marlay park. Few roundabouts quiet bit of traffic straight through on each.

Some lad on hybrid was trying to overtake me after slowing for traffic on roundabout I make a comment not rudely as such but basically saying I will have to just overtake you again once your past me.

He then commented to say "why don't you f***ing use your hands to single" or the like. I actually indicate quiet a bit especially when moving lanes etc. in this case going straight one I might lower hand to signal break, I would use my hands on bars to show oncoming traffic im turning. Is this how most would do it.

D!€kheads gonna d!€k.

The sheer levels of pointless aggro and competition on the roads sadden me almost as much as the drop from rad-Ness to sadness when someone does some genuinely awesome trackstanding at lights and then jumps the red anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lol, sounds like the van driver that told me to "pick a lane" at the n4 m50 junction. I did, the one going into town, and not the m50, which obviously I wouldn't be picking because it is the motorway :rolleyes:

Idleater wrote: »
    Lol, sounds like the van driver that told me to "pick a lane" at the n4 m50 junction. I did, the one going into town, and not the m50, which obviously I wouldn't be picking because it is the motorway :rolleyes:

this guy did strike me as the self hating type, id be more worried about all the cars that don't indicate etc

smacl wrote: »
    I offered some help to someone (manafana?) with a flat recently out near Stepaside and made such a bollix of patching the tyre I reckon he would have been better off if I'd left it at moral support. Done it often enough before, but not this time.

funny you say that I think that patch actually held, it was finding the bloody hole that made us look fools, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Thought this weekend was one of the worst I've seen for cyclists breaking lights. Out Saturday and Sunday around The NCD coast towards Howth and everyone was at it. Not just in ones and twos. Seen a couple of bigger groups on Sunday (6-8) just go straight through two junctions........ And we keep complaining about drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had a strange day on the bike. I am trying to practice with SPDs on the touring bike (use Keos on others) and can't quite get it. Anyway, had the dogs up on the green at end of road before work, I could do loops while they ran on the grass. From a standstill, I went right down as I had the left clipped on and not the right and normally have it the other way round.

Decided i'd stick with them to work, 13/14 km from Blanchardstown to IFSC and plenty of lights. Had 1 hair moment when neither seemed to want to unclip at all. Exchanged words with a driver who tried overtaking me at a left turn despite me clearly indicating and having the centre of the lane, then tried squeezing me into roadworks so he could avoid the luas track and say "I gave you right of way" ie "I saw you, you had right of way, but I am impatient and decided I'd risk it" They were going as far as the spar 20 metres further past where we had turned.

On the way home it was lashing down, and its getting dark by 9 pm. A lot of standing water and a huge puddle around dorset street/ saw me take a slightly different line to my normal one that avoids a rough surface and pothole. This time I managed to find it and drenched myself. Got halfway down the navan road when I realised a pannier bag had come off, turned back, began to swear profusely yet there it was on the path aforementioned giant puddle.

Phone, wallet, glasses, one runner, a pack of rice and an apple were in there. They were run over by several cars most likely and probably at least one bus. Phone was destroyed, apple all over everything and the (brand new) bag was split open at the bottom but remarkably in good shape. I'm lucky someone found it and put on the path to be found without taking anything, but luckier that there was no serious accident caused by it I guess. Annoyed about the phone, but the last bit put it into some perspective.

My front mudguard broke the other day too, so made the cycle a little annoying too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »

Hence, my post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement