Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I should grow some and go marching back...actually what will happen is I will sheepishly go back in and ask ever so politely.

So go back and insist ever so politely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

RobFowl wrote: »
    There have been weirder !

This team was sponsored by a brothel (or a "sauna" as Beasty tells me is was)

And, er, how does Beasty happen to know…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

And, er, how does Beasty happen to know…

He's a VIP

(Very Important Penis)

Zyzz wrote: »
    He's a VIP

(Very Important Penis)

(backs off rapidly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jaysis...

*cycles away*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »
    He's a VIP

(Very Important Penis)

Very Impotent Pr...

He he he (Peter Sagan humour)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/649241667229384705

Not a fan of that twitter account at all, but good to see the FPNs in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A Boardman hybrid? Lucky he didn't get a clip around the ear and an SBN *

*( sh$t bike notice)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    A Boardman hybrid? Lucky he didn't get a clip around the ear and an SBN *

*( sh$t bike notice)

I think they are good solid bikes for the money !

Anybody else stare at a cars wheel, shake your head and make a confused face when waiting on the lights to change? Just to freak out the drivers. I find I do the strangest things to entertain myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That sounds like fun Jimmy. Trolling poor drivers. Is this you out for a walk? :p

V2JSZVF.gif

I think they are good solid bikes for the money !

I see a few on the commute - all RLJers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I see a few on the commute - all RLJers.

RJLers ?? Wots tha

That sounds like fun Jimmy. Trolling poor drivers. Is this you out for a walk? :p

http://i.imgur.com/V2JSZVF.gif

That's me to a tee :D

RJLers ?? Wots tha

Jaysus Roddy, you're looking well anyway.

Jaysus Roddy, you're looking well anyway.

Why thank you good sir.....

beard21.jpg

RJLers ?? Wots tha

Red light jumper?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know, it's starting to get a bit nippy these mornings and I've had to resort to my blue heavy jumper.

My lbs is now stocking schwalbe luganos. Would they be a decent enough commuter tyre?

Tell me this: why haven't racers, who often own bicycles worth tens of thousands, developed a good, simple, cheap, easy-to-use GPS tracking system for bikes?

Look at SpyBike - probably the best system out there at the moment. But it requires a 25cm steering tube - which probably (?) rules out most women's bikes. And it requires a sim, and so monthly payments to a provider. And it only works on the 2G network, which is rapidly going out of use.

With 6,700 bikes reported in 2014 - which probably means 33,500 in reality, since most people don't bother reporting, and with the average value €500, it seems that there must be a really good business opportunity for anyone who provides a good tracker at a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Would they be a decent enough commuter tyre

www.bicyclerollingresistance.com test of Luganos does not paint them in a good light....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Tell me this: why haven't racers, who often own bicycles worth tens of thousands, developed a good, simple, cheap, easy-to-use GPS tracking system for bikes?

Look at SpyBike - probably the best system out there at the moment. But it requires a 25cm steering tube - which probably (?) rules out most women's bikes. And it requires a sim, and so monthly payments to a provider. And it only works on the 2G network, which is rapidly going out of use.

With 6,700 bikes reported in 2014 - which probably means 33,500 in reality, since most people don't bother reporting, and with the average value €500, it seems that there must be a really good business opportunity for anyone who provides a good tracker at a good price.

how would they communicate their location without a sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    how would they communicate their location without a sim?

Telekenesis? Osmosis?

Dunno. How does Garmin do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Dunno. How does Garmin do it?

i think (and I havent checked this out) they connect to your smart phone and send the info via that, but I could be wrong. Maybe I should google it :)

edit - yeah I googled it and they require apps on your phone.
    http://www8.garmin.com/livetrack/

How does TomTom do it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The main issue is power. You need a GPS device that's always on.

How does TomTom do it?

The device can know where it is but to tell another device where it is it needs a sim. Essentially your bike will know that it's in some scoter shed but won't have a way to tell you unless it has a sim

The main issue is power. You need a GPS device that's always on.

SpyBike has a battery - you have two and keep one charging and the other in place; the sim is not a problem in Britain, where you can get cheap G2 Pay-As-You-Go sims for the purpose - about £8 per month.

Anyway, my question is why a cheap, simple system hasn't been developed that can be in universal use. It seems odd. A moneymaking opportunity for the likes of IBM, even Google. After all, there are 100 million bikes produced per year; in China alone, 500 million people cycle.
    The device can know where it is but to tell another device where it is it needs a sim. Essentially your bike will know that it's in some scoter shed but won't have a way to tell you unless it has a sim

Ah, see what you mean. Then the problem is twofold: 1) a cheap and small device; 2) a cheap, dedicated, universal and worldwide sim system for just this purpose.

• Advertisement

I don't know, it's starting to get a bit nippy these mornings and I've had to resort to my blue heavy jumper.

This cold?

pinupmirracolady.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement