Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Judging by some comments on Twitter, Seán O'Rourke is being as fair and balanced in his discussion of the restriction of private cars on Dublin's quays as he was in his discussion of the minimum passing distance law.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Anyone use that new cycle lane in Phoenix park? I'm not sure of the surface, seems like it could get quite slippy - there was a lot of standing water on it yesterday evening while the adjeacent road was mostly dry.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Agreed. I'm going to stick to the road unless going contra-flow. Also, they've bollards out at the moment but I imagine parking will be difficult to enforce long term.

I'm delighted they resurfaced the road though. Trashed a wheel in a pothole there one dark night last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Chuchote wrote: »
    We have an excellent new cafe in our area, in a row of shops that's been mostly shuttered for the last eight years - shops and cafes open, totter along for a while and close, because there's no passing trade.

It's an area where thousands of cyclists pass every morning, in the epicentre of Dublin cycling, the place which has the highest bike usage in the city.

A row of bike stands would give this cafe a 1000% better chance of surviving and thriving - a proportion of those cyclists would stop for breakfast or a takeaway if they could lock their bikes directly outside.

But (bear with me, I do have a point), there's no official place where the public can request a row of bike stands. This -

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-waste-and-recycling/litter-graffiti-and-pollution

- would be the obvious site for such requests, but it doesn't facilitate them. Could we start a political push by cyclists for the facility to request stands?

I've noticed small clusters of cycle parking cropping up recently in sensible places- outside Noshington on SCR, outside the Spar opposite Griffith College, outside The Swan on Aungier Street. Seems like someone in the Council is thinking the same thoughts as you. Not sure how you can propose sites, but you could do worse than ask a local Councillor to raise it for you at, e.g. the Transport SPC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

colm18 wrote: »
    Anyone use that new cycle lane in Phoenix park?
    where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the cycle lane, i mean. i know where the park is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

where is it?

its in Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sorry, couldn't resist

It's on Wellington Road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RayCun wrote: »
    its in Phoenix Park

Generally cycle lanes in Phoenix Park are located between parked cars and footpads.

RayCun wrote: »
    sorry, couldn't resist

It's on Wellington Road
    that's the one people are complaining about on the commuting & transport forum so. complaints about the road surface, at least.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057673418

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    I am afraid we may have summoned this... I also took off my snow tyres last week :-o

Same, don't really want the hassle of putting them on again, but want to get out for a spin tomorrow. I need the wheel fairy to pay me a visit and give me a nice set of spare wheels I can leave permanently adorned with snow tyres for such occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is there a risk of snow tomorrow morning? Forecast gives around 4-5C for Dublin Mountains...

Tonight

Bitterly cold tonight with minimum temperatures of 0 to minus 4 degrees Celsius. In near calm, a severe frost and icy stretches will quickly develop, along with dense freezing fog in parts too. Becoming dry in many areas, but further well scattered wintry showers too, with locally light accumulations. There is also the risk of more persistent rain moving up along the east and southeast coast later, possibly turning to sleet or snow here, especially on higher ground towards morning.
    from met.ie

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

That's Alek off to Kippure then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    Is there a risk of snow tomorrow morning? Forecast gives around 4-5C for Dublin Mountains...

Roads wet up there today so possibly icy tomorrow, could be dodgy enough on slicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I've noticed small clusters of cycle parking cropping up recently in sensible places- outside Noshington on SCR, outside the Spar opposite Griffith College, outside The Swan on Aungier Street. Seems like someone in the Council is thinking the same thoughts as you. Not sure how you can propose sites, but you could do worse than ask a local Councillor to raise it for you at, e.g. the Transport SPC.

I may be partly responsible for the Noshington ones. I was walking my dog in the triangular park in Harold's Cross when Noshington was about to open a branch there, and met what I assume was the architect and builder. I happened to have printed out an article I was reading on the beneficial effect of bicycle parking on cafe patronage and got talking to them, and handed over the article. A couple of weeks later the cafe was open - with bike racks on either side of it. These have been heavily used, and may have persuaded the company that cycle parking brings coffee-drinking customers.

i just popped over to the shops, and was passed by a guy on a road bike - cycling into the wind - wearing shorts and a short sleeved cycling top. he was probably heading off to wrassle some bears while showing chuck norris the best way to chop wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

On my commute over the past month I thought I was getting weaker on the bike but then realised it's the start of the racing season. The commuting tempo has noticeably picked up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The end of Dwars Door Vlaanderen and Stage 3 of Volta Ciclista a Catalunya are live on the two British Eurosport channels right now

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Every morning on my short commute I tell myself I'm going to go easy today. Slow pace. Keep the shirt from getting sweaty. Arrive in style. Then another commuter appears and passes me or goes through a red light while I'm stopped and I loose the run of myself go full gas and end up in work in a sweaty heap. We men are a stupid lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

The end of Dwars Door Vlaanderen and Stage 3 of Volta Ciclista a Catalunya are live on the two British Eurosport channels right now

had few of my finest euros on Lampaert (as well as Naasen), wasn't hopeful when Gilbert had him drilling it, superb ride well worth a watch for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

detones wrote: »
    Every morning on my short commute I tell myself I'm going to go easy today. Slow pace. Keep the shirt from getting sweaty. Arrive in style. Then another commuter appears and passes me or goes through a red light while I'm stopped and I loose the run of myself go full gas and end up in work in a sweaty heap. We men are a stupid lot.

You sound like a motorist having to beat a bicycle to the next set of red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's to be reasonable weather wise over the weekend, looking forward to getting a few early miles in on Sunday morning, Australian GP is lights out at 6am so finished around 7.30 and I'll go out then

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's to be reasonable weather wise over the weekend, looking forward to getting a few early miles in on Sunday morning, Australian GP is lights out at 6am so finished around 7.30 and I'll go out then
    Don't forget that's 6.30 in old money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    ....and mudguards off time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Beasty wrote: »

Yup, already noted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Watched the "Young Offenders" movie last night on Netflix, could almost be classified as a cycling movie (even though they've stolen the bikes).

Great advert for the area, makes South/West Cork look like an amazing place to cycle.....if only it wasn't in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Have to say, any film that has cruelty to animals (and I love hens, sweet ditsy creatures) is a no-no for me, despite the cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Just because I'm a cyclist doesn't mean I'm slow. I had a car trying to overtake me on a right hand turn (or is that undertake). I normally take right hand turns wide anyway but seriously, he slowed very quickly when, had he proceeded with his manoeuvre he would have crashed into the stopped traffic at junction. Stupidity is why my insurance is so high :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Overtaking another vehicle as they are turning is a terrible idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement