Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    While my cadence isn't super spiny I have found after a winter on the turbo I am spinning slot more than last year and I feel this has helped me during races.
    I was a big grinder last year so hopefully I can spin more as the season progresses. Spinning makes things easier in difficult circumstances like wind, uphills , cramps etc...

Maybe I'll pick up a cadence sensor and set targets for myself. I really felt it today, I've had a bad two weeks with food and I just wasn't able for the slog today at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe I'll pick up a cadence sensor and set targets for myself. I really felt it today, I've had a bad two weeks with food and I just wasn't able for the slog today at all.

You don't need a cadence sensor, just go down a gear! Surely you can tell if your legs are moving faster or slower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I found a cadence sensor very handy in trying to adjust my cadence to what pros and coaches would recommend. Previously I tended to use a gear higher that what I maybe should, a recommend cadence felt too spinny at first but I got used to it. Was never sure though if it improved my economy, endurance or speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

RayCun wrote: »
    You don't need a cadence sensor, just go down a gear! Surely you can tell if your legs are moving faster or slower?

I find I have to stop myself changing up a gear when I feel I'm spionning too much and before I know it speed has dropped and I'm slogging. I was just thinking the cadence sensor couldn't hurt
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I found a cadence sensor very handy in trying to adjust my cadence to what pros and coaches would recommend. Previously I tended to use a gear higher that what I maybe should, a recommend cadence felt too spinny at first but I got used to it. Was never sure though if it improved my economy, endurance or speed.

See that's where I'm a bit lost, I'm not really sure where I should be with regards to cadence or gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What are spiny and spionny? What do the terms mean, please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spinny. as in spinning a high cadence, or pedalling a high RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I find I have to stop myself changing up a gear when I feel I'm spionning too much and before I know it speed has dropped and I'm slogging. I was just thinking the cadence sensor couldn't hurt

See that's where I'm a bit lost, I'm not really sure where I should be with regards to cadence or gears

Cadence between 85-95 is recommended with near to 100 as you improve, improving it takes times and concentration but it does help on drags, headwinds or days when your legs are just no good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cadence between 85-95 is recommended with near to 100 as you improve, improving it takes times and concentration but it does help on drags, headwinds or days when your legs are just no good.

Track will help your cadence. My warm up and down cadence is 100, efforts above (depends on the interval in fairness). Comes quick on track. You can exhaust your heart and lungs several times in a race/ride, your strength system's a limited resource.

Cadence is a personal thing though, some are naturally spinnier than others. I'm not a natural spinner, but trained it. I look out for spinners when racing on the road to follow/work with when I have the choice. They don't get dropped as much in my experience, but that could be psychological! (And there are exceptions obviously)

That's 85-95 turns of the pedals per minute? Is this measured, like a 'pace' in marching, as a downturn by left and then by right?

nee wrote: »
    Track will help your cadence. My warm up and down cadence is 100, efforts above (depends on the interval in fairness). Comes quick on track. You can exhaust your heart and lungs several times in a race/ride, your strength system's a limited resource.

Cadence is a personal thing though, some are naturally spinnier than others. I'm not a natural spinner, but trained it. I look out for spinners when racing on the road to follow/work with when I have the choice. They don't get dropped as much in my experience, but that could be psychological! (And there are exceptions obviously)

I tend to adjust mine when I see lads I know are strong going into high spin mode in certain parts of a race.
    Indeed it is a personal thing but imo lads who grind are working harder than spinners so as you said they tend not to be dropped be it that's subjective.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    That's 85-95 turns of the pedals per minute? Is this measured, like a 'pace' in marching, as a downturn by left and then by right?

Yes RPM ,revolutions per minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just to clarify, an rpm is counted on a single foot, not both - i.e. you don't count the downstroke on the right as one, the left as two, the right as three, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

One full rotation on either side, so your left foot going 360 degrees once in a minute would be 1rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rant:

My cycling has really taken a back seat for the past two weeks and looks like that will continue for another 4 weeks or so. This bloody 'acting up' in a higher capacity is killing me as I normally do shift work. Now I have to take the car because I'm expected to attend meetings anywhere around Dublin City and County with minimal notice. I feel ridiculous leaving for work at 8am instead of 6am and cocooned in a metal box while watching you all whizzing by. Full credit to those of you who work office hours Mon to Fri - its killing me after 30 years on shift work. I don't know how you do it as it is no life for less money.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Rune Elvik (whom some here probably know from the Helmet megathread) is pretty sure that Safety in Numbers is real:
    https://twitter.com/ECFhealth/status/847063543237263360

Rant:

My cycling has really taken a back seat for the past two weeks and looks like that will continue for another 4 weeks or so. This bloody 'acting up' in a higher capacity is killing me as I normally do shift work. Now I have to take the car because I'm expected to attend meetings anywhere around Dublin City and County with minimal notice. I feel ridiculous leaving for work at 8am instead of 6am and cocooned in a metal box while watching you all whizzing by. Full credit to those of you who work office hours Mon to Fri - its killing me after 30 years on shift work. I don't know how you do it as it is no life for less money.

Rant over.

This is the exact reason I have had to be come a Turbo cyclist to get for for racing. Losing shift work is a nightmare for a cyclist.

Rant:

Rant over.

I found moving from night work quite sad, I couldn't get things done in the middle of the day anymore, most things are closed when you need them all of a sudden. You have to make excuses not to talk to people you don't want to because being at work is not longer valid. Anytime you were off, and a 9-5er called, you could just blame the shift work. I was more productive and happier. Sad times indeed.

do you work for a local authority, WA?

just wondering what the cycle facilities are like in the civic offices, i know a couple of people working in there who are half considering cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

do you work for a local authority, WA?...
    HSE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I thought it was odd there wasn't that many extra cyclists this morning given the pseudo-general strike.

• Advertisement

HSE ;)

I've seen a lockable bike cage in some hospitals - for the staff - but feck all bike parking for the patients and visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

buffalo wrote: »
    I thought it was odd there wasn't that many extra cyclists this morning given the pseudo-general strike.

cycling on strike dates I found a headache between the huge amount of extra cyclists along with the huge amount of additional cars driven by people who don't know how drive with commuting cyclists

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Big queue for the showers in my office this morning.

Can someone explain if NBRU members who are in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus who started unannounced picket lines will be in trouble? I totally believe in the right to strike, so long as the rules are followed.

am i correct in that it was clearly organised, but wasn't arranged via the unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

A few extra bike shaped objects wobbling about but not as many as I expected.

Amazing how many people will happily sit for an hour and a half in gridlock rather than walk for 30 minutes.

am i correct in that it was clearly organised, but wasn't arranged via the unions?

NBRU were quick out the gates to say that they did not authorise or know about it. It was definitely organised, suppose it is just trying to see if there is someone to pin it on but I imagine it was strongly by word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Can someone explain if NBRU members who are in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus who started unannounced picket lines will be in trouble? I totally believe in the right to strike, so long as the rules are followed.

I suspect that they are perfectly entitled to hang around at the entrances to bus/rail depots so long as they do not impede others in going about their lawful business. OTOH, the Dublin Bus/Irish Rail employees who refused to enter their workplaces will have some union fun ahead.

i wonder if the union are pissed but knew about it - they couldn't be seen to organise it as they don't currently have a mandate to strike.

• Advertisement

i wonder if the union are pissed but knew about it - they couldn't be seen to organise it as they don't currently have a mandate to strike.

I don't think they are pissed at all, I could well imagine whether they knew or not (and I could imagine which is more likely), they cannot condone it as it would screw them in any court action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement