Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

All if a sudden I don't feel so old....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sounds like a big match for you. Which one are you in the video? :p
    Just beneath the cuff of Fergie's shirt. Been sitting there since around 1982, except for 1996 when they were rebuilding the stand. They have now put my name on the seat

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Beasty wrote: »

For anyone who would like a reminder of that day:

I remember it well - I was too young to go to a pub and we didn't have Sky Sports at home so I watched the entire second half in our local Xtra-vision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Folks can somebody give a quick explanation of the bike to work scheme. I availed of this last year and got equipment of 1000 euro from a bike shop. This was the retail price of the equipment. On my salary deductions I seem to have repaid the 1000 euro.... this cant be right can it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Glebee wrote: »
    Folks can somebody give a quick explanation of the bike to work scheme. I availed of this last year and got equipment of 1000 euro from a bike shop. This was the retail price of the equipment. On my salary deductions I seem to have repaid the 1000 euro.... this cant be right can it..?

There is a mega thread with bike to work stuff. Loads of questions and answers there. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056382170#

• Advertisement

Yes but the deductions were made from your gross thus reducing the amount of PAYE taken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

colm18 wrote: »
    I remember it well - I was too young to go to a pub and we didn't have Sky Sports at home so I watched the entire second half in our local Xtra-vision :D
    Frank Skinner recalls "watching" a match in the 90s in his hotel room on Ceefax. Basically just waiting for the pixelly scoreline to change on screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ive done the ceefax thing too...

Back when LFC were actually winning the league.....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ive done the ceefax thing too...

Back when LFC were actually winning the league.....

Teletext was an optional extra on tv's back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Teletext was an optional extra on tv's back then.

What??? Aertel is gone????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chuchote wrote: »
    What??? Aertel is gone????

Nope, just changed with the times https://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/100-1.html

Yeah yeah buzz killington and all that :-/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

BBC ceefax number 302 for the latest football. Aertel typically was shoddy in comparison. Channel 4 had some of the very best music journalism available on its Teletext service (Planet Music I think it was called). I discovered so many bands through it that I never heard of through any other means. They also completely and correctly tore the Coronas apart while Hot Press was hailing them as some type of saviour of Irish Music.

If you liked Video Games, Digitizer was just brilliant, though it caused some controversy and its follow up, GameCentral was just generally very good.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Used to regularly "watch" cricket on Ceefax. Watching the runs clocking up could be quite soothing...

....until the next wicket fell.

In fact I reckon Ceefax was probably created with cricket fans in mind :pac:

In fact I'm beginning to wonder how they all coped before they invented Ceefax

Rob - perhaps you could enlighten us.

How could I forget Bamboozle too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

You do repay the full €1k but it comes off your gross pay, thus saving on paye, prsi and usc . That's were the benefit arises from.
    Simples really :)

Good luck to the new mods.... I'm sure you both will be .. outstanding, upstanding, understanding , :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »

Kinda makes sense based on other work I have seen. I have seen them reversing type 2 diabetes in mice by replacing the microbiome in a type 2 mouse with a non diabetic mouse.

I have also heard talks on similar with certain mental illnesses in animal models and how signalling works between the gut and brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Does it mean that antibiotics can possibly wreck your athletic performance long term, possibly forever, or cause type 2 diabetes? Were there experiments in fecal transplants in this regard with humans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

secman wrote: »
    Good luck to the new mods.... I'm sure you both will be .. outstanding, upstanding, understanding , :)

Thank you for your support.
    However the powers the be would rather close down Boards before making me a mod.

If the chain hasnt dropped to the small ring yet....Check the dates of the posts.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Thank you for your support.
    However the powers the be would rather close down Boards before making me a mod.

If the chain hasnt dropped to the small ring yet....Check the dates of the posts.

Oops silly me..... had a busy weekend and April Fool totally passed me by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

secman wrote: »
    Oops silly me..... had a busy weekend and April Fool totally passed me by :)

It was all Rob Fowls idea.
    He bribed me!

Bribed with coffee!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    It was all Rob Fowls idea.
    He bribed me!

Bribed with coffee!

You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment

In fact I'm beginning to wonder how they all coped before they invented Ceefax

Rob - perhaps you could enlighten us.

BBC world service in my gaff, on the transistor radio (I wish I was joking...)

Struggled to pick up the World Service, but I was in far-flung Yorkshire.

Think I had better reception for the American Forces Network where I could hear about exotic sports like.... Football (well their version of it)

Struggled to pick up the World Service, but I was in far-flung Yorkshire.

Think I had better reception for the American Forces Network where I could hear about exotic sports like.... Football (well their version of it)

Speaking of Yorkshire Beasty, would you know anything about cycling anywhere near Harrogate? I'm over there for work next week but have most of Sunday free so was hoping to see some of the dales

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I remember getting my podcasts delivered on wax cylinders.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I remember getting my podcasts delivered on wax cylinders.

Fionn Mac Cumhaill's woman runner brought mine on vellum scrolls, and read them to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had heard that cycling - and other sports - were a great assistance for people with various mental health battles, but i can't help wondering if bressie is just shooting fish in a barrel by claiming exercise/sport on its own is not a panacea? worth noting that i have n0 expertise in this area whatsoever.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/the-fitness-fallacy-you-can-t-outrun-a-mental-problem-1.3023266

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement