Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    Speaking of Yorkshire Beasty, would you know anything about cycling anywhere near Harrogate? I'm over there for work next week but have most of Sunday free so was hoping to see some of the dales

Ah! - the flatlands. Remember to turn left for the Dales;). Alas never cycled around there at all except when I did a coast to coast about 20 years ago. Was based in the very north of North Yorks (which is only one-third of the "old" Yorkshire but still the largest county in England)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Inspired by my spin this morning:

Cycling Heavy Metal band name: "Twisted bib-strap"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

snakebite
    hot rotors

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

i had heard that cycling - and other sports - were a great assistance for people with various mental health battles, but i can't help wondering if bressie is just shooting fish in a barrel by claiming exercise/sport on its own is not a panacea? worth noting that i have n0 expertise in this area whatsoever.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/the-fitness-fallacy-you-can-t-outrun-a-mental-problem-1.3023266

It depends.
    certainly it can provide some relief for mild or transient cases of depression , but I believe that for clinical depression it has been shown in research to have no real effect.
    Seems like Bressie is tarring all mental illnesses with the same brush though , which is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Inspired by my spin this morning:

Cycling Heavy Metal band name: "Twisted bib-strap"

Only one name is Metal enough.

33023866173_741861ffed_n.jpg

All the way up to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

daragh_ wrote: »
    Only one name is Metal enough.

33023866173_741861ffed_n.jpg

All the way up to 11.

Lars Boom begs to differ.

Bob Jungels is a different type of music though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

White Knuckle
    Snapped Chain
    120 P.S.I.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lars Boom begs to differ.

His early stuff showed promise but the last concept album was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Budawanny wrote: »
    It depends.
    certainly it can provide some relief for mild or transient cases of depression , but I believe that for clinical depression it has been shown in research to have no real effect.
    Seems like Bressie is tarring all mental illnesses with the same brush though , which is wrong.

Quite a strange article. It conflates "fitness" with endurance sports (as opposed to, say, walking and cycling everywhere practicable), and then describes a "multi-kilometre run" as an endurance sport. I guess they mean over 10k, or something? 5k run is hardly "endurance" territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Quite a strange article. It conflates "fitness" with endurance sports (as opposed to, say, walking and cycling everywhere practicable), and then describes a "multi-kilometre run" as an endurance sport. I guess they mean over 10k, or something? 5k run is hardly "endurance" territory.

Never blame a writer for an article that doesn't make sense, if it's published in any Irish newspaper. They're apt to hack great chunks out of your closely-reasoned prose, which you've written exactly to the length commissioned. (Not to mention actually changing the wording for personal political reasons.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Budawanny wrote: »
    It depends.

About twenty years ago,I suffered from depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was off work for two and a half years. I was in a bad way. I even underwent E.C.T. Thankfully, I eventually made a complete recovery.
    On my final visit to my psychiatrist, he told me, that my recovery was down to 3 factors: my wife, my G.P. and cycling.
    Throughout my illness, I cycled regularly, and in truth, for those two years, I was most content, when I was on my bike.
    I'm not making any claims for the benefits of cycling, just making a personal observation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Feel petty posting this after Eamonators brave post but can't resit gloating at the Mau U fans seeing their team languishing outside the CL places.
    A few years ago Liverpool being 5 points ahead would mean they were top of the league. times have changed....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/results/soccer/england-premier-league/10418/tables/

Hailo/Mytaxi are running a PR stunt to promote their launch - on the Grand Canal. It's a Dodgems track with bumper cars. To promote taxi drivers.

Adults got together in a room and pitched that idea. Other adults paid them to to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

daragh_ wrote: »
    Hailo/Mytaxi are running a PR stunt to promote their launch - on the Grand Canal. It's a Dodgems track with bumper cars. To promote taxi drivers.

Adults got together in a room and pitched that idea. Other adults paid them to to do it.

Which stretch of the canal?

Mespil Road. It's on Twitter as well - #BumpTheGrind

RobFowl wrote: »
    Feel petty posting this after Eamonators brave post but can't resit gloating at the Mau U fans seeing their team languishing outside the CL places.
    A few years ago Liverpool being 5 points ahead would mean they were top of the league. times have changed....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/results/soccer/england-premier-league/10418/tables/

It's worrying that both teams and fans are now gloating over who will finish 3rd/4th/5th. There's no glory in that, yet it is something I am guilty of clamouring for.

Bournemouth might frustrate Liverpool tonight (unlikely) but it won't matter when Sunderland beat Man Utd on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Thanks to the electric bike "cyclist" who allowed me to draft him on my way home yesterday. Had a good chat about electric bikes at the red lights, said his max speed is about 43kph which I thought that'll do me... drafting. I know now what drafting a derney bike feels like. Lovely chap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of the reactions are kinda funny:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/04/05/brownie-points-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Thanks to the electric bike "cyclist" who allowed me to draft him on my way home yesterday. Had a good chat about electric bikes at the red lights, said his max speed is about 43kph which I thought that'll do me... drafting. I know now what drafting a derney bike feels like. Lovely chap. :)

Hehehehe,
    Guess you overtook him downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Hungrycol wrote: »

I think electric bikes are limited to 40kph for classification purposes. In theory they could go faster, if you had the right know-how...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Great Steve Tilford, USA cross, MTB and crit legend died in an RTA this am.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Just checking: cyclist is supposed to dismount here, right?

qJ0I3f4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

looie wrote: »
    Just checking: cyclist is supposed to dismount here, right?

http://i.imgur.com/qJ0I3f4.png
    I don't think so. The line across the cycle track is a stop line for the traffic light above it, not "end of lane" or similar. It leads into a toucan crossing to the right, which can be ridden across, and a short track back to the road straight ahead. There's no signage requesting a dismount either, but there is a sign directing cyclists across the toucan crossing.

The joys of shared usage. I personally avoid that path and stay on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Passed a cyclist down on Carysfort Avenue this morning, Fire Brigade and Ambulance in attendance. Probably nothing too serious, bike didn't look mangled, but s/he was being treated on the ground, so hope they're doing OK.

Looks like they were T-boned by a car turning right into a laneway to try and avoid traffic.

only noticed this yesterday - dublin's narrowest cycle lane? they don't seem to be even able to fit the painting of the bike into the bike lane.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3446051,-6.2256098,3a,75y,75.62h,77.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa4xUnF0dt2I9DZK70qWQLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Not sure if this should be in here or the Buffalo/Doozerie musings, but something occurred to me when listening to RTE earlier. They were doing Vox Pops in Cork regarding the Bus Eireann strike. Now I know it's undoubtedly a pain for a lot of people, but they had people complaining that they had to walk up to 30 minutes to get to work and a little longer back.

This mentality, this sheer laziness is just so deeply ingrained that people can't see the upside to walking an hour a day. Even in their wallets if not for their mind and body. I walked myself today as I was too tired for a cycle. Listened to the Beeb and felt very relaxed coming in to work. It's maddening really. 5km is not a long way to walk unless you're injured, old/feeble, disabled, etc etc. I strongly believe more people living within the canals of Dublin and work in the city centre should be walking,

especially as you'd have to ask not how long it took to walk, but how much *longer* it took to walk, if they're taking a bus for a two mile trip.

though i can see it being a pain if it was raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, I heard that radio spot, and thought much the same. With the already mentioned provisos that the interviewee is in reasonable health and the weather not too inclement, the walks they were describing were perfectly ok. A twenty-five minute walk is not that big a deal.

I also wondered how long the bus would take them, factoring in waiting for the bus and delays en route. Twenty-five minutes of walking is 2-3km, I assume? I'm assuming the extra delay is ten minutes, one way. The interviewee might deeply resent those extra twenty minutes a day, but it's not an unbearable imposition.

• Advertisement

i used to live in phibsboro, and would have to get into the city centre in the morning; as phibsboro is well served by buses, waiting for one was usually not a long wait, so the bus would be marginally quicker typically. but the walk through blessington basin was quite nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement