Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

I have the option of a 25-30 min cycle or just over an hour and twenty minutes on the bus to Dublin city centre.

I got the bus twice until I got the bike parking situation sussed, you couldn't offer me enough to stay on a bus that long every day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you travelling from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I live in Inchicore and now work in Bluebell... I drove this morning because I have plans after work that I need to drive for... dear God the holy shame of it. Driving for 2 minutes to get to work. In saying that there are people in this office that live very close by too but drive every day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Finglas.

I can get a 9 which goes through the phibsborough car park, or go out to the dual carriageway for a 40, also to go through phibsborough albeit further up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I live in Inchicore and now work in Bluebell... I drove this morning because I have plans after work that I need to drive for... dear God the holy shame of it. Driving for 2 minutes to get to work. In saying that there are people in this office that live very close by too but drive every day

its certainly a pet peeve to see all these cars in city with one driver, often large cars too, then at badly designed junctions blocks ped or cyclists who don't need same amount room

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Thing about walking is I cant corner properly and always seem to end up drafting a bunch of tourists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    Bournemouth might frustrate Liverpool tonight
    Very disappointed when returning to my hotel after watching the Who last night to discover Bournemouth never completed their comeback....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I know now what drafting a derney bike feels like.

No, you imagine you know now what it feels like drafting behind a derny. But you'd be wrong. It's not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ever drafted an electric bike Harry? Just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Alek wrote: »
    Ever drafted an electric bike Harry? Just asking.

Yes. Do you need the time and day for verification? Just asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

These cars have been parked beside my work place like this for weeks now and never been clamped. Astonishing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bazermc wrote: »
    These cars have been parked beside my work place like this for weeks now and never been clamped. Astonishing.

I work near there. There a few of those stupid type parking spots up to the convention centre and there's no clear entrance to the cycle lane as it's slightly raised. Moronic planning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What's it like to cycle while drunk? Not that I'm going to try tonight, even though I've one box ticked. I reckon the toe overlap would be my literal downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

What's it like to cycle while drunk?

Depends how many you've had ;) It happened to me a few times before before I became a model citizen, to cycle completely inebriated... in the late night city traffic, overtaking taxis and slaloming between pedestrians, perfect control of the bike - until I fell of it trying to order pack of tobacco at the counter in Centra...

Not that I do it anymore.

Smoking, that is.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's it like to cycle while drunk? Not that I'm going to try tonight, even though I've one box ticked. I reckon the toe overlap would be my literal downfall.

I know a guy who ended up in hospital for a few weeks, mild brain injury, after doing so when in college. I suppose it's like when people are walking and fall over without putting their arms out to stop themselves, the momentum when doing it off a bike is more severe. [/Maude Flanders]

a friend once found a drunk cyclist unconscious in the road at 2am and ended up accompanying him to hospital. the issue was not helped by the fact that the cyclist woke at one point and rang his girlfriend - who was abroad - and my friend had to take the phone and try to explain to this poor, near hysterical woman, that he was going to be okay but the phone battery died before he could get the message across.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't say I've done it drunk, but tipsy. Got a Puncture half way home and had no spare tubes. Think the world was telling me something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have done this more than once. Fallen off twice. Not recommended. Stupid in fact.

Which is not to say i am certain i will never again think it is a good idea as i am walking out of a pub following after work drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Would you like to see the bike Stephen Roche won the Tour de France on being dropped 100 feet from Blarney Castle while he watches?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-stephen-roches-reaction-when-his-bike-is-thrown-from-blarney-castle-784887.html

Like to see them do it with a carbon frame though......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Fian wrote: »
    Would you like to see the bike Stephen Roche won the Tour de France on being dropped 100 feet from Blarney Castle while he watches?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-stephen-roches-reaction-when-his-bike-is-thrown-from-blarney-castle-784887.html

Thanks be to God they were wearing hiviz vests...........*cough cough*

The guy dropping the bike should have traded his hiviz vest for a fall-arrest harness and his hard hat should have had a chin strap. There was also no obvious exclusion zone at ground level and you can see the gate is wide open as the bike drops. Wonder who wrote the method statement and risk assessment for that one......

Hiviz me arse.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fian wrote: »

I'm guessing if the bike had been wrecked Roche would have wrapped yer man in the same stuff and fecked him off the same tower :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm embarassed to say but I did it countless times when I was a lot younger and foolish in the 1980's. :o

The main difference I recall was being very relaxed especially when cornering in the wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It's common enough, in youth or foolishness, to cycle while tipsy. While drunk, one normally totters home with the bicycle and oneself supporting each other but only one of you singing, as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have noticed along the north quays that the Dublin bike stations are often 'switched off' weekend nights. Could it be due to people cycling after a few drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

From what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

9-9.30pm onwards if I remember correctly. Sometimes I'm a little tipsy looking to use them on the way home. Although I'd stick to the cycle track and avoid the road.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just logged onto Facebook, where they provided me with a memory of 3 years ago today with this photo:

1620718_637457806309145_2804171194620167077_n.jpg?oh=ab27f5c1dd5662a42107b8e6f090430a&oe=595B2839

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Beasty wrote: »

OMG :eek: Did you crash?

:D

Idleater wrote: »
    OMG :eek: Did you crash?

:D

What:confused: You want all the gory details??

OK, but it may take me some time to pull together chapter and verse....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement