Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's to go past 20 degrees in Yorkshire today and I'm over for a conference. Found a well recommended place to hire a bike and it's being delivered to my b&b in 2 hours.

It's all uphill if i go North i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Shorts weather and we can shed our hi-viz as the glittering white of Irish legs will blind drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I lost the battle against tan lines today. Fcuking sock line is the worst, I fail every year to avoid it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's to go past 20 degrees in Yorkshire today

Gradient or temperature, I believe they've some serious ramps over there? ;)

smacl wrote: »
    Gradient or temperature, I believe they've some serious ramps over there? ;)

Beasty called it flatland, i assume he was joking. There's a hill called greenhow hill from lately bridge to grassington. It's 25%+ in some place but a steady 12-15% for a few km. its where Wiggins dropped out last year i was told after

In 100 km I've managed 1800 metres.

• Advertisement

Nice wee dander

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39531836
    Rebecca Lowe's friends thought she had taken leave of her senses when she set off on a 7,000-mile (11,250km), year-long cycle from the UK to Iran.
    Her article for the BBC News website, Is it foolish for a woman to cycle alone across the Middle East?, attracted a huge amount of interest from readers.
    Here she tells the story of her journey in pictures.
    Rebecca Lowe's bike on the Montenegro-Albania border

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

I'm embarassed to say but I did it countless times when I was a lot younger and foolish in the 1980's. :o

The main difference I recall was being very relaxed especially when cornering in the wet.

Copy That. Did it hundreds of times, cultural thing.
    Visiting neighboring villages summer festivals, everybody would go by bike and nobody was sober. All without High-Viz and no serious incidents aside of driving in the occasional ditch or falling asleep on some field. Growing up in a in a flat country had it pros. Not that I recommend to do this in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

V-man wrote: »
    Copy That. Did it hundreds of times, cultural thing.
    Visiting neighboring villages summer festivals, everybody would go by bike and nobody was sober. All without High-Viz and no serious incidents aside of driving in the occasional ditch or falling asleep on some field. Growing up in a in a flat country had it pros. Not that I recommend to do this in Ireland :D

Netherlands? One of my Dutch friends led me to believe that there's a fairly indulgent attitude to "merry" cycling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Beasty called it flatland, i assume he was joking. There's a hill called greenhow hill from lately bridge to grassington. It's 25%+ in some place but a steady 12-15% for a few km. its where Wiggins dropped out last year i was told after

In 100 km I've managed 1800 metres.

Was driving on that very road a couple of weeks ago (wishing I was on the bike instead.)

Tough looking bugger. Greasy if wet. A great loop would be Harrogate - Burnt Yates - Summerbridge - Pateley Bridge - Grassington - Bolton Abbey and then power back home on the A59. Stop in Pateley Bridge in the bakery for a sausage roll before tackling the hill, you'll appreciate it.

Some far worse ramps than Wicklow but a great place to cycle. There's a barn on the above road with a big sign on it purely to warn cyclists of a treacherous descent, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

oflahero wrote: »
    Was driving on that very road a couple of weeks ago (wishing I was on the bike instead.)

Tough looking bugger. Greasy if wet. A great loop would be Harrogate - Burnt Yates - Summerbridge - Pateley Bridge - Grassington - Bolton Abbey and then power back home on the A59. Stop in Pateley Bridge in the bakery for a sausage roll before tackling the hill, you'll appreciate it.

Some far worse ramps than Wicklow but a great place to cycle. There's a barn on the above road with a big sign on it purely to warn cyclists of a treacherous descent, for example.

That's pretty much the route i took as it happens. The descent in Pateley Bridge was something else, I wouldn't descend greenhow hill though, i wouldn't have the confidence.

The A59 has a bit too much traffic and no hard shoulder to speak off. My GPS kept taking me on short side roads but it meant a lot of yielding. There's one section of it where you can go really fast and see a good distance out some nice snaking bends. I got off it and got onto Pennypot lane which is just 8 miles of great straight road into Harrogate.

The Way of the Roses is now on my to do list, but only if there's an alternative to descending Greenhow hill

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

The A59 has a bit too much traffic and no hard shoulder to speak off. My GPS kept taking me on short side roads but it meant a lot of yielding. There's one section of it where you can go really fast and see a good distance out some nice snaking bends. I got off it and got onto Pennypot lane which is just 8 miles of great straight road into Harrogate.

You're right, the A59 is not much fun. Reminds me of the N81 with lorries thundering past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Does it seem demanding to ask that people remove their bulky panniers from bikes when leaving them in these sort of stands? Asking for a friend in a crowded office block.

Greenbarnes_Ltd_Parker_hoop_bike_stand_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Does it seem demanding for this type of stands to banned altogether? (a side note)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

buffalo wrote: »
    Does it seem demanding to ask that people remove their bulky panniers from bikes when leaving them in these sort of stands? Asking for a friend in a crowded office block.

Greenbarnes_Ltd_Parker_hoop_bike_stand_1.jpg
    Seems reasonable to take them off if they're huge panniers and blocking the adjacent spaces.

Are these also meant to be "handlebars high" (rear wheel goes in the lower ones, front wheel in the higher ones)? Used to have one at a place of work, and everyone pushed their bike in handlebars first, which left a lot of spaces unusable.

buffalo wrote: »

Shocked at how many people I see leave their panniers on, do they think they are so uncool that thieves won't take them?

This aside, it it not unreasonable, the person probably does not realise it is an inconvenience. Just a polite note, "would you mind taking your panniers inside with you as they unfortunately block other users from taking a space, thanks"

You could also go down the fast show route and do a Chris the crafty cockney routine in the morning

People locking their front wheels to those racks bug the bejesus out of me. The one in work can be busy at times and the front locked bikes fall all over you and each other when you're trying to get your bike in and locked up.
    Hate those racks.

nee wrote: »
    People locking their front wheels to those racks bug the bejesus out of me. The one in work can be busy at times and the front locked bikes fall all over you and each other when you're trying to get your bike in and locked up.
    Hate those racks.

Thought they were meant for front wheels. I've always seen them as basically useless.

By the way, since no closing time is given on the Liffeyside Cycleway (or whatever it's officially called, but I like "Down By The Liffeyside") submissions, you might chance putting in a submission till midnight:

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/traffic-management-changes-north-and-south-quays/

Takes only a couple of minutes. Give good reasons a protected, separated cycleway along the scary north quays would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Any advice on where to get Fulcrum spares in Dublin? I'm in need of a freewheel body replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

nee wrote: »
    Hate those racks.

Ours at least have an upright barrier in between every second set of loops, so the bikes aren't prone to that issue. My friend has been debating sticking up a sign instructing people how to put their handlebars high (nice term tomasrojo), so perhaps it's time to get laminating..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Chuchote wrote: »
    Thought they were meant for front wheels. I've always seen them as basically useless.

By the way, since no closing time is given on the Liffeyside Cycleway (or whatever it's officially called, but I like "Down By The Liffeyside") submissions, you might chance putting in a submission till midnight:

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/traffic-management-changes-north-and-south-quays/

Takes only a couple of minutes. Give good reasons a protected, separated cycleway along the scary north quays would be great.

I spoke with guy last night who had bought car recently for a half hour drive to work (urban but under served by transport), and when i mentioned the quays cycle lane he'd mentioned it was something to get people out of cars and he'd probably not drive work if it got him out of mixing with vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

-K2- wrote: »
    Any advice on where to get Fulcrum spares in Dublin? I'm in need of a freewheel body replacement.

Cyclesuperstore used to, might still do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Anonymous Posters have appeared around Howth aimed at cyclists. If anyone is heading out that direction feel free to remove them as litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Anonymous Posters have appeared around Howth aimed at cyclists. If anyone is heading out that direction feel free to remove them as litter.
    What do they say?

What do they say?

I've seen photos of a few different posters. They're not all the same.

I've seen photos of a few different posters. They're not all the same.

What is the general feel of them, I presume negative.

CramCycle wrote: »
    What is the general feel of them, I presume negative.

They're like second rate negative memes. It's sad that someone actually took the time to have them printed up on card and hang them.

A little bit of effort went into them. Wonder who put them up?
    https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/posts/1411332012264144
    vlZH6Jf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Mixed messages. One is that cyclists are too slow. Another is telling cyclists to slow down. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement