Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Weepsie wrote: »
    Does the study take into account diet, environment, smoking, drinking etc.
    Yes, it would be a poor study (and unlikely to be published anywhere, let alone the BMJ) if confounding factors weren't accounted for.

It was a prospective cohort study aswell, which is typically less susceptible to bias and confounding than a retrospective study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Question about cameras. I got a Mobius camera (this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SQUCRWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) in late 2015, and only got around to using it now. The battery appears to be shot - I can't get it to juice up. Is there any way to replace the battery in these?

Found it, yeah there is, you buy the battery from the Mobius site and it's $26 including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Has anyone got experience of bringing CO2 cartridges on a plane either as hand luggage or in the hold? I can't find anything on the DAA site. I could bring a micro pump but would prefer the CO2 for speed if needed.

My side-mounted pump is rattling like mad and driving me crazy so it's getting taken off the bike tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We had a thread on this only last week. They're not allowed. They'd definitely be taken off you in hand luggage and you put them in the hold at your own risk. If they're detected i imagine the luggage can be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Weepsie wrote: »
    We had a thread on this only last week. They're not allowed. They'd definitely be taken off you in hand luggage and you put them in the hold at your own risk. If they're detected i imagine the luggage can be stopped.

Thanks, I must have missed the thread.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'd say on a study of that kind, which is of such a huge group over such a long time, it's better to keep it to the pure subjects you're studying: what effect does your transport have on your chances of getting and surviving the main killer diseases.

Later and smaller studies will factor in diet, sleep, smoking, etc.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Actually, I'd say on a study of that kind, which is of such a huge group over such a long time, it's better to keep it to the pure subjects you're studying: what effect does your transport have on your chances of getting and surviving the main killer diseases.

Later and smaller studies will factor in diet, sleep, smoking, etc.

I'd disagree to be honest. I think you have to take all the variables into account and you have to have cyclists who smoke, walkers who smoke, drivers who smoke, public transport users who smoke etc etc. You need controls.

You can't really otherwise deduce that x activity reduces chances of y disease or chances of surviving surely. It would be no better than those sponsored studies into benefits of certain food products.

Longitudinal research needs to cover so many variables

According to the BBC report:
    The way the study, published in the British Medical Journal, was carried out means it is not possible to determine a clear cause and effect.
    However, the effect was still there even after adjusting the statistics to remove the effects of other potential explanations like smoking, diet or how heavy people are.

This report is clearer:

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/british-study-finds-commuting-bike-can-cut-heart-disease-and-cancer.html
    The graph shows the association between commuting mode and outcomes; the non-active base reference at the top represents commuters in cars. Those who cycled all the way to work had the best outcomes generally, although people who walked to work had significantly reduced heart disease.

The cancer reductions are calculated after adjusting for diet, smoking and body mass index, but the study notes that “the risk reductions associated with active commuting are likely to be related to their contribution to overall daily physical activity, and potentially to cardiorespiratory fitness, for which the associations with lower mortality, CVD incidence, and cancer incidence are well established†The study’s key findings and recommendations:

Commuting by cycling was associated with a lower risk of all cause mortality and adverse CVD and cancer outcomes, and walking commuting was associated with lower risk of CVD incidence and mortality, in a dose dependent manner and independent of a range of confounding factors
    • Mixed mode commuting including a cycle component was associated with a lower risk of all cause mortality and cancer outcomes
    • Policies designed to affect a population level modal shift to more active modes of commuting, particularly by cycle (eg, cycle lanes, city bike hire, subsidised cycle purchase schemes, and increasing provision for cycles on public transport) may present major opportunities for the improvement of public health.

[and Treehugger comments] This is precisely why we go on the need for safe bike infrastructure, and why we need to stop scaring people off bikes. Because “the findings suggest population health may be improved by policies that increase active commuting, particularly cycling, such as the creation of cycle lanes, cycle hire or purchase schemes, and better provision for cycles on public transport.â€

In other news, DNA researchers have discovered new types of white blood cells

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-04-blood-cells.html
    The cells are new classes of types of white blood cells called dendritic cells and monocytes. Researchers have identified two new dendritic cell subtypes and two monocyte subtypes. They have also discovered a new dendritic cell progenitor.
    Wellcome-funded researchers used a technique called single-cell genomics to analyse gene expression patterns in individual human blood cells. Previously, different types of immune cells were investigated and defined by the set of marker proteins that they express on their surface. This new technique is much more powerful and can reveal previously unrecognised and rare cell types that would be otherwise difficult to find.
    Dendritic cells display molecules called antigens on their surfaces. These molecules are recognised by T cells which then mount an immune response. Monocytes are the largest type of white blood cell and can develop into macrophages that digest debris in our cells.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-04-blood-cells.html#jCp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Went for a spin today. While struggling up some small hills I could not get "Under the sea" by Sebastian from The Little Mermaid out of my head!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recently, my earworms have mainly been kate bush. mainly 'cloudbusting'. i think i am better off than you.

Paris is testing out getting rid of some traffic lights:

http://www.lejdd.fr/jdd-paris/des-feux-rouges-vont-etre-supprimes-a-paris-3296324
    A Paris, certaines associations accueillent plutôt bien l'initiative des écologistes. "Elle est d'autant plus légitime qu'elle prend place dans une zone 30, là où il y a une forte présence piétonne", estime Anne Faure, présidente de Rue de l'Avenir. "Je suis favorable à une telle expérimentation", déclare Jean-Paul Lechevalier (Les Droits du piéton). Côté cyclistes, Charles Maguin (Paris en selle) "salue la démarche" et considère que "la suppression des feux est favorable aux usagers du vélo".

recently, my earworms have mainly been kate bush. mainly 'cloudbusting'. i think i am better off than you.

You probably are. I am very poor.

I accidentally got this into my head a few days ago and it refuses to leave. I blame the evil death rays of the sisters of Charity

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Any have Conor McGregor followed on Instagram?
    Bit bizarre but he's pictured here with a Dura Ace branded frame much like the ones you'd see on top of Shimano Neutral Support cars and at Shimano press releases. Didn't think they were available to buy. Also, that's Julian Dalby (1990 Irish National Road Race Champ) on the right

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Went for a spin today. While struggling up some small hills I could not get "Under the sea" by Sebastian from The Little Mermaid out of my head!
    You asshat

CramCycle wrote: »
    You asshat

What?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What?
    For putting the song in my head, I can't get it out.

CramCycle wrote: »
    For putting the song in my head, I can't get it out.

Best line and double entendre:

"Darling it's better down where it's wetter"

Oh, God, calypso!

• Advertisement

Why is it that, when the names of people who have died (in whichever manner but normally in tragic circumstances) are released, they are always named "locally"? What is the reason for this term?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why is it that, when the names of people who have died (in whichever manner but normally in tragic circumstances) are released, they are always named "locally"? What is the reason for this term?

Not officially released or something like that.

Bit bizarre but he's pictured here with a Dura Ace branded frame much like the ones you'd see on top of Shimano Neutral Support cars and at Shimano press releases. Didn't think they were available to buy. Also, that's Julian Dalby (1990 Irish National Road Race Champ) on the right

He trains with Julian Dalby or something. Maybe the latter had a connection and he's a huge name for publicity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Raam wrote: »
    Not officially released or something like that.
    yep, i've always assumed it means 'we got this information from a local rather than confirmation from the gardai'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Julian is now a doctor and is on McGregor's medical team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, think it means "not officially confirmed, but we're fairly sure it's accurate".

Another one they use, which is more insidious, is "known to the Gardaí", which really shouldn't be allowed, on the grounds that they know very well what people will assume it means but they haven't actually said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Julian is now a doctor and is on McGregor's medical team.

A doctor?! The man was stone cold crazy in his racing days. Got booted from the ras for drawing a swastika on his helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A doctor?! The man was stone cold crazy in his racing days. Got booted from the ras for drawing a swastika on his helmet.
    There was a thread here on that sometime last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a thread here on that sometime last year!
    Well not last year but 2010!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055198

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone tried getting on an Irish Rail train during peak times with a disassembled bike? Ooor, has anyone cycled out to Mondello from Dublin for racing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement