Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I can't say I have, but are we talking Dart, or commuter? The staff might argue a bit during high peak on certain routes, but don't take the piss trying to bring it at the absolute busiest time and I doubt they'd say anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone tried getting on an Irish Rail train during peak times with a disassembled bike? Ooor, has anyone cycled out to Mondello from Dublin for racing.

Can You put it in a couple of bin liners? Or wheelie bin liners? Wheels in one and frame in another?

I've sneaked a bike on unbroken alright, but the kildare trains are packed and heuston are pretty strict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Twice, once to Wexford and once to Longford. Stopped going to Longford with the bike all together. Walked off, popped off both wheels and sort of stuck them to the frame with my bike locks and carried it on without being stopped. The train was not full. Wexford from Pearse, the steward (is that the right name) in the station came over to me and told me that technically we were not allowed bikes on at this time. He let me away with it but warned if the train that came along was near capacity, i would not be allowed board. It was half empty.

To Mondello, I know a few guys who have done it from various clubs for races there, headwind is the only negative to it but it is definitely doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I can't say I have, but are we talking Dart, or commuter? The staff might argue a bit during high peak on certain routes, but don't take the piss trying to bring it at the absolute busiest time and I doubt they'd say anything.
    nee wrote: »
    Can You put it in a couple of bin liners? Or wheelie bin liners? Wheels in one and frame in another?

I've sneaked a bike on unbroken alright, but the kildare trains are packed and heuston are pretty strict.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Twice, once to Wexford and once to Longford. Stopped going to Longford with the bike all together. Walked off, popped off both wheels and sort of stuck them to the frame with my bike locks and carried it on without being stopped. The train was not full. Wexford from Pearse, the steward (is that the right name) in the station came over to me and told me that technically we were not allowed bikes on at this time. He let me away with it but warned if the train that came along was near capacity, i would not be allowed board. It was half empty.

To Mondello, I know a few guys who have done it from various clubs for races there, headwind is the only negative to it but it is definitely doable.

Thanks guys. I'm not a fan of confrontation (despite the impression my posts on here might give), so I really don't want words with staff. I'm working through a few more options at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It might work out, if you look at the Phoenix park tunnel services from Grand Canal Dock. They're serviced by intercity trains, which have bike racks onboard. There's not much bike capacity, and I have no idea what competition is like for them, but it's a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It might work out, if you look at the Phoenix park tunnel services from Grand Canal Dock. They're serviced by intercity trains, which have bike racks onboard. There's not much bike capacity, and I have no idea what competition is like for them, but it's a shot.

They're pretty quiet tbh. Took one recently at 6pm and all was quiet on it, that's what got me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Friend of mine did the wheels-off-everything-into-a-bin-liner strategy for a while. Seemed to work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I first heard about him here fairly recently. Maybe it was a tangent on another thread. Something about making bar tape out of expired pet snakes and a hard-shell helmet out of a coconut or melon, or something like that (pretty small head or pretty big coconut, so think I misremember that).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

been away for a while lads :) hoping to get properly back into my cycling/mechanics this summer. Quick question, hydraulic brakes on roadbikes, are they worth the hassle? thinking of buying a Ribble aero 883 disk but could save money on going standard brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

been away for a while lads :) hoping to get properly back into my cycling/mechanics this summer. Quick question, hydraulic brakes on roadbikes, are they worth the hassle? thinking of buying a Ribble aero 883 disk but could save money on going standard brakes
    They're better in some ways and worse in others.

• Advertisement

can imagine if a frame has integrated cables they could be a nightmare for maintenance. Are they too powerful with the small tyres of a road bike? im imagining front end slipping from them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is getting dangerously close to being rerouted to the dedicated thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

can imagine if a frame has integrated cables they could be a nightmare for maintenance.
    Not really. Hydraulic lines don't really need maintenance.
    Are they too powerful with the small tyres of a road bike? im imagining front end slipping from them
    No, they're fine.

Personally prefer to just swap out cables that having to bleed myself. Also I've found (at least with the mountain biking side of things) that you go through brake pads a fair bit quicker with disk brakes than standard road calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You don't need to bleed brakes more often than once a few years.
    you go through brake pads a fair bit quicker with disk brakes than standard road calipers

Depending on the pad compound and other circumstances (lot of lights or mountainous route) it should be comparable on the road.

Who uses rim brakes in MTBs these days to compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

This is cool, information ahead of traffic lights which tells cyclists to speed up or slow down in order to catch the next green light.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/04/this-magic-dutch-traffic-light-helps-bicyclists-avoid-stopping/523986/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Both previous links are brilliant, in their own different way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

This is cool, information ahead of traffic lights which tells cyclists to speed up or slow down in order to catch the next green light.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/04/this-magic-dutch-traffic-light-helps-bicyclists-avoid-stopping/523986/

As solutions go.. the Copenhagen one is awesome

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/08/the-green-waves-of-copenhagen.html

Alek wrote: »
    You don't need to bleed brakes more often than once a few years.

Depending on the pad compound and other circumstances (lot of lights or mountainous route) it should be comparable on the road.

Who uses rim brakes in MTBs these days to compare?

Ive just worked on a lot of mtb's that get rough treatment, as you said probably not really comparable, But I'd be bleeding the same set maybe twice a year and each brand has their own magic way of doing it or at least they used to a few years back.

I've seen lads do downhill with no brakes but never v brakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

18076862_808314989316124_3821895340801558697_o.jpg?oh=dde04c7a19626143aeb1959b8fdb47d2&oe=598415C6

I am putting here because it's not pretty enough to go in the beauties and not ugly enough for the other thread.

I'd be bleeding the same set maybe twice a year

Why is this so? How does the fluid leak out of the closed system?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

I manage this project in Clare. We included signs at the bottom of 5 hills showing the length of the hill, gradient, max gradient etc. We also included a NFC chip in the sign so people with compatible smartphones could tap the sign and it opened up the relevant strava segment page. Handy if you have gloves on so you don't have to type in a URL.

Alek wrote: »
    Why is this so? How does the fluid leak out of the closed system?

not sure how to be honest but it must be to do with cold temperatures in winter storage, or heat from the caliper, or just air getting in somehow. I know avid elixers used to wreck my head. Id have them perfectly bled one day the next they'd be spongy or super tight. And ive a particular set of avids where the pistons in one of the calipers always seems to squeeze in too tight so you end up with disk rub .

I will say i used to love shimanos brakes though, very straight forward

I have experience with old Shimano XT full hydro caliper, that did not require a single bleeding in 7000km+ / 4 years, stopping a cargo bike with kids, also on mountainous descends in Spain. There was a Deore on the rear, but I've boiled it on 7km / 10deg descend slowing down the above setup and it became spongy alright ;)

Also my hybrid HY/RDs on road bikes never required bleeding, but then the reservoir is integrated with the pistons, so its even more more closed than full hydraulic (no hydro line, as they're operated by cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Dot 3/4 Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture which creates spongy feeling in the brakes. Oil based systems can lose feeling due to changes in oil viscosity over time. Sealed systems aren't completely sealed as the pistons move outwards with pad wear. This would induce a vacuum at the fluid reservoir in a hermetically sealed system.

Right, all my brakes take mineral oil.
    This would induce a vacuum at the fluid reservoir in a hermetically sealed system.

But then I thought that the flexible seal's role (in the reservoir) is to accommodate for changes in fluid pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

They're supposed to but over time every flexible seal I've come across has become a seal in theory only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

EH wrote: »
    I manage this project in Clare. We included signs at the bottom of 5 hills showing the length of the hill, gradient, max gradient etc. We also included a NFC chip in the sign so people with compatible smartphones could tap the sign and it opened up the relevant strava segment page. Handy if you have gloves on so you don't have to type in a URL.

credit to you, would be wonderful to see them bother to do same in dublin/wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

EH wrote: »

Nice job! Did you get in touch with Strava about it, as in do they know about it?

As for the attachment, would you not have used one of those QR codes on the sign as well? What with everyone being lazy sods these days? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement