Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

EH wrote: »
    I manage this project in Clare. We included signs at the bottom of 5 hills showing the length of the hill, gradient, max gradient etc. We also included a NFC chip in the sign so people with compatible smartphones could tap the sign and it opened up the relevant strava segment page. Handy if you have gloves on so you don't have to type in a URL.

Beautiful example of clued in thinking and a little imagination. Congrats and nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Nice job! Did you get in touch with Strava about it, as in do they know about it?

As for the attachment, would you not have used one of those QR codes on the sign as well? What with everyone being lazy sods these days? :p

NFC is even easier, you don't need to press any buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

First time out on the road bike yesterday in around a year, felt great.......except for my crippling fitness :D also people don't wave and say hi as much anymore, what happened to all the love!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

NFC is even easier, you don't need to press any buttons!

Thanks for the comments. NFC seems to be the way forward with more and more phone manufacturers adopting it, if only Apple would open up their phones, they do have NFC but its locked to apple pay. From the research I've done it looks like this will happen, its just a matter of time. I included a tinyurl on each sign for non-NFC phones to use.
    We've also installed 7 bike maintenance stands around the county, some with built in pumps some just free standing bike holders with tools.
    The overall plan is to invest in improving the cycling infrastructure in the county rather than just developing an on-road cycling route that few people use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Apple will unlock it, and announce it like it's the second coming and overlook what has been pretty standard elsewhere for some time. That or an overpriced and unnecessary adapter will be required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

EH wrote: »
    The overall plan is to invest in improving the cycling infrastructure in the county rather than just developing an on-road cycling route that few people use.

This is great. Can you come to Dublin and sort out our hostility to cycling by many in our councils?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This is great. Can you come to Dublin and sort out our hostility to cycling by many in our councils?

Maybe this article has the solution

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2015/02/dont-say-cyclists-say-people-on-bikes/385387/
    A recent post by PeopleForBikes blogger Michael Andersen notes that starting in 2011, a new group called Seattle Neighborhood Greenways has made a conscious effort to change the way they talked about biking, walking, and pretty much everything else to do with the way their city’s streets are used by human beings…

… they hoped to radically alter what had become an acrimonious and unproductive civic debate, one where the phrase “war on cars” had come to characterize the way many Seattleites felt about policy changes that altered streets in an effort to make them safer and more accessible for a variety of users.

“Though the group made no secret of their biking advocacy, they didn't brand themselves as biking advocates,” writes Andersen. “They branded themselves as neighborhood advocates.”

SNG also developed a list of new ways to talk about their concerns and promoted it in handy chart form. Instead of “cyclists,” they suggest, use “people on bikes.” Instead of “drivers,” “people driving.” Instead of technical traffic-engineering terms such as “pedestrian/hybrid beacon,” say “safer ways to cross busy streets.” Replace “pedestrians” with “people walking.”

Apparently this is working well, and has changed the debate from the kind of craziness that Ireland's been copying from Britain, and into a more normal idea about how we use our neighbourhoods and relate to our neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I usually try to use "people on bikes/cars" when banging my head against the wall in many of the threads that pop up around boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

At the bottom of the road, there is an old racer frame, barely covered in paint that is peeling, rust spots, wheels have been removed etc. I imagine it was a dumping job from a robbed shed, as the bike is clearly and was clearly not in a usable condition before.

If I report it to the Gardai, do they just pick it up or send the council round for dumping. Thinking I might ring them and tell them I found it abandoned, and would hold onto it if no one has reported it gone.

• Advertisement

Came across a flyer for this in Rathmines today on a bike rack

http://dublinbikeman.com/MensBikes.htm
    CramCycle wrote: »
    At the bottom of the road, there is an old racer frame, barely covered in paint that is peeling, rust spots, wheels have been removed etc. I imagine it was a dumping job from a robbed shed, as the bike is clearly and was clearly not in a usable condition before.

If I report it to the Gardai, do they just pick it up or send the council round for dumping. Thinking I might ring them and tell them I found it abandoned, and would hold onto it if no one has reported it gone.

You can report it here:

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/repair-road-or-footpath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Tenzor07 wrote: »

"The spokesman said the rescued woman appeared to be dressed for attempted stunts.

He said: "She had the helmet and the knee pads.""

So... she was dressed like a mountain biker? Pointless article.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been waiting 5 months for my new bike, after numerous delays with Cube and then Giant, and it finally arrived today. Picking it up at 6pm and can't bloody wait to get out.

Kiith wrote: »
    I've been waiting 5 months for my new bike, after numerous delays with Cube and then Giant, and it finally arrived today. Picking it up at 6pm and can't bloody wait to get out.

Well wear!

He said: "She had the helmet and the knee pads.""

Who speaks like that? "The" helmet and "the" knee pads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was thinking of popping over to the Motors forum and posting this up, good idea? ;) ....:pac:....:pac:..

2crm3hg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was thinking of popping over to the Motors forum and posting this up, good idea? ;) ....:pac:....:pac:..
    95% of cyclists are also motorists so I think it would be important to make it clear that it's not a 'them and us' mentality.

....And the word 'petrol' would have to be changed to 'fuel' as the vast majority of vehicles sold here are diesel powered (presumably it's from the USA?).

95% of cyclists are also motorists so I think it would be important to make it clear that it's not a 'them and us' mentality.

....And the word 'petrol' would have to be changed to 'fuel' as the vast majority of vehicles sold here are diesel powered (presumably it's from the USA?).

Really? I knew a lot of cars were diesel, but the vast majority? Not contradicting, just asking.

And yes, the piece is good but the them-and-usness could be toned down. We're people. Some behind the wheel (poor deluded, misguided creatures, yes, but people :P ) and some behind the handlebars or wandering on foot.

that 95% would reduce greatly if we had Dutch style cycle infra..
    People would hire cars using an app...
    The CTW scheme could be yearly and with a E2000 allowance..

What's the 95% down to now?

60% ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

What are you doing to your bike every year, and why can't it survive if it cost €2k?!

That would only incite further anger, misunderstanding and division.

Half of all drink-driving cases struck out as Garda summonses not served

Only 8% of motorists bring licences to courts to have penalty points attached

It's headlines like these that make me laugh every time someone suggests sticking registration plates and having licences for cyclists would resolve all of the 'issues' with cycling.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/half-of-all-drink-driving-cases-struck-out-as-garda-summonses-not-served-1.3064096

buffalo wrote: »
    What are you doing to your bike every year, and why can't it survive if it cost ?2k?!

Sorry?

Sorry?

You suggested the Bike to Work scheme could be yearly and with a E2000 allowance.

That seems excessive.

My hypothesis is that you must be severely damaging your bike at least once a year to the point of having to write it off.

I postulate that if a bike cost E2000, it should survive longer than a year.

Therefore I am wondering what you are doing with your bike that this is not the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

60% ?
    What are you doing to your bike every year, and why can't it survive if it cost ?2k?!

Have to agree with Buffalo, 1000 is more than enough for a decent commuter bike. Making it annual and increasing the limit will only lead to incitement of ill will from those who won't use it, a stick to beat cyclists with. A decent bike should also last 5 years if looked after.

You suggested the Bike to Work scheme could be yearly and with a E2000 allowance.
    That seems excessive.
    My hypothesis is that you must be severely damaging your bike at least once a year to the point of having to write it off.
    I postulate that if a bike cost E2000, it should survive longer than a year.
    Therefore I am wondering what you are doing with your bike that this is not the case.

Hardly excessive in this day and age?
    I could spend e2000 on a set of alloys and tyres for the car with that easily..

Not everyone wants to hang onto a bike for 5 years, esp. a cheapo e1000 and under bike.. most people probably only spend e600 and the rest on helmets/mudguards/jackets etc..

Not everyone wants to cycle a cheap bike to work.. I mean, why does someone need a 171 Audi Q7 to drive to work?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's headlines like these that make me laugh every time someone suggests sticking registration plates and having licences for cyclists would resolve all of the 'issues' with cycling.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/half-of-all-drink-driving-cases-struck-out-as-garda-summonses-not-served-1.3064096

The cases in which people forget licence or say when i didn't receive summons should just not be thrown out.

Forget your license for your court date, insist an extra on the spot fine on. If they can't pay, they can surrender their car until they can.

Same for summons. If I'm not allowed to tell a utility company that their bill didn't arrive or it arrived late I sure as hell shouldn't be allowed disregard a summons.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have to agree with Buffalo, 1000 is more than enough for a decent commuter bike. Making it annual and increasing the limit will only lead to incitement of ill will from those who won't use it, a stick to beat cyclists with. A decent bike should also last 5 years if looked after.

It will be an "incitement of ill" from a minority if we moved away from a private car dominant society which we currently have in Ireland..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

60% ?
    You asked if it was a good idea to post it in the Motors Forum. What is the relevance of Dutch infrastructure and the BTW scheme to that? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement