Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Really? I knew a lot of cars were diesel, but the vast majority? Not contradicting, just asking.
    i think a few years ago, nearly 90% of cars sold in ireland were diesels. it's dropped back down to about 60% (both figures from a mechanic i was talking to).
    too many people were sold diesels, who only use them to run down the shops or drop the kids to school, which is a very inefficient use of diesel, and can begin to cause problems if the car is not used for more than 15 minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I will agree to disagree with you!

?1000 is too low, so what if I want to buy an E-Bike for getting to work? Sure a reasonable one would cost double the allowance!

And you're going to buy a new e-bike every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    My hypothesis

I postulate

Words of the day toilet paper FTW!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The text and picture in this ad for wheels made me chuckle

http://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/hed-carbon-tt-race-wheels/11938654

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    The text and picture in this ad for wheels made me chuckle

http://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/hed-carbon-tt-race-wheels/11938654
    LOL :D

(As an aside, an 8 speed freewheel on carbon wheels - he's looking at a very limited market).

• Advertisement

LOL :D

(As an aside, an 8 speed freewheel on carbon wheels - he's looking at a very limited market).

Didn't notice that. Someone doing a very niche restoration of 90s time trial bikes maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The point about it being too low for a bike is still valid.. an E-Bike is still a bike and would be a more attractive option for a lot of people who have no interest in cycling and wouldn't even consider themselves cyclists, but just want a way to beat the morning traffic.. Hardly fair that they have to stump up an extra e1000 for a basic ebike.

An e-bike isn't a bicycle, it's essentially a motorbike. Part of the purpose of the Bike-to-Work scheme is to reduce obesity and increase fitness in the population. An e-bike doesn't fulfil that purpose. Shouldn't be part of the scheme.

It might be that there's a case for a separate scheme where people too disabled to cycle but capable of sitting up on an e-bike and steering it could get funding under their disability allowance to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

An e-bike isn't a bicycle, it's essentially a motorbike. Part of the purpose of the Bike-to-Work scheme is to reduce obesity and increase fitness in the population. An e-bike doesn't fulfil that purpose. Shouldn't be part of the scheme.

It might be that there's a case for a separate scheme where people too disabled to cycle but capable of sitting up on an e-bike and steering it could get funding under their disability allowance to buy one.

:confused:

Do you know how ebikes differ from motorcycles? You *do* need to pedal, they are pedal-assisted. Who are you to decide that someone who has an ebike is just fat and lazy?

Here's the full purpose that you selectively quoted from:
    revenue wrote:
    What is the purpose of the scheme?
    The purpose of the scheme is to encourage more employees to cycle to and from work, or between work places, thereby contributing to lowering carbon emissions, reducing traffic congestion and improving health and fitness levels.

Idleater wrote: »
    Who are you to decide that someone who has an ebike is just fat and lazy?

Your interpretation, not my words. The purpose of the Bike-to-Work scheme is to combat obesity and increase healthiness. That's not to say that everyone who uses an e-bike is fat and lazy. It is, though, to say that getting people cycling for health (and to cut the country's carbon footprint) is the purpose of the scheme.

Your interpretation, not my words. The purpose of the Bike-to-Work scheme is to combat obesity and increase healthiness. That's not to say that everyone who uses an e-bike is fat and lazy. It is, though, to say that getting people cycling for health (and to cut the country's carbon footprint) is the purpose of the scheme.

I'm having to disagree with you. Where as I don't agree that there should be any special break for those wanting an eBike and they should have to stump up the extra to get one (with some exceptions for people with impairments) they really are not motorbikes.

They will go some way in combatting obesity and increasing healthiness as you do actually have to pedal them quite a lot. The purpose isn't only for that either, though it is definitely one of the aims and biggest by products. It is also supposed to be a major part of the Greening Transport.

The official purpose
    lowering carbon emissions, reducing traffic congestion and improving health and fitness levels.

I think an eBike meets all of those goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

The pedal assist gradually reduces power and cuts off at 25kph. It's pedal assist, so you still have to work BTW.

On my 12 km return commute I average between 27-28kph about 85% of this is me alone with no assist. The pedal assist is great for getting away at red lights quickly and up to speed fast. The way I see it the more ebikes on the road the more advocates there will be for proper cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An e-bike isn't a bicycle, it's essentially a motorbike. Part of the purpose of the Bike-to-Work scheme is to reduce obesity and increase fitness in the population. An e-bike doesn't fulfil that purpose.
    If you have found an e-bike which is not likely to increase fitness then it's likely that it is indeed a motorbike and illegal to ride without tax & insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone once explained - i think on this forum - that the reason the government can't drop VAT rates on bike related goods is down to EU rules that they must stay at the rate they were when we joined the EU. can someone confirm this, or have i been having really exciting dreams again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cc wrote: »
    The pedal assist gradually reduces power and cuts off at 25kph. It's pedal assist, so you still have to work BTW.

On my 12 km return commute I average between 27-28kph about 85% of this is me alone with no assist. The pedal assist is great for getting away at red lights quickly and up to speed fast. The way I see it the more ebikes on the road the more advocates there will be for proper cycling infrastructure.
    Had a chat with a lad on an ebike a while back after a dart along the canal. He said he was 'bollixed' keeping up with me. Certainly looked like he'd had a workout

someone once explained - i think on this forum - that the reason the government can't drop VAT rates on bike related goods is down to EU rules that they must stay at the rate they were when we joined the EU. can someone confirm this, or have i been having really exciting dreams again?

If that's the case, Vat should be at 16-17 % and we'd be paying 40 % on TVs and whatnot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

An e-bike isn't a bicycle, it's essentially a motorbike.
    e-bike and steering it could get funding under their disability allowance to buy one.

Christ! I expect clogs to be thrown at Ebike cyclists after those comments!!

You do know what an E-Bike is right?

Though at the weekend I saw this dude on a pedal-assist motorcycle going along the road at less than 30kph i'd say, the bike he was on looked like a v small moped, only with pedals, no licence plate and the rider had no motorcycle helmet... Wouldn't say it was purchased in Ireland either...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've never used an e-bike, but they have great potential in the urgent need to decarbonise transport.

I've always assumed they have a considerably lower carbon footprint than a motorbike because they're lighter and are largely human-powered (or maybe 50-50?). Also, as the grid decarbonises, the carbon footprint of e-bikes goes down. That just leaves the rare elements required for the battery. Not sure how that works out practically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Whats the cost of servicing a suspension fork in Dublin? Does it make economical sense at all to service a mid-low range one - Rockshox XC30?

There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can see, but I would like to replace the fluid and seals as I got it 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Alek wrote: »
    Whats the cost of servicing a suspension fork in Dublin? Does it make economical sense at all to service a mid-low range one - Rockshox XC30?
    There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can see, but I would like to replace the fluid and seals as I got it 2nd hand.

Take it to Expert cycles, they will get it running like new: http://www.expertcycles.ie/suspension-servicing/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Well, if an E-Cigarette is anything to go by, then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Christ! I expect clogs to be thrown at Ebike cyclists after those comments!!

Though at the weekend I saw this dude on a pedal-assist motorcycle going along the road at less than 30kph i'd say, the bike he was on looked like a v small moped, only with pedals, no licence plate and the rider had no motorcycle helmet... Wouldn't say it was purchased in Ireland either...

I wonder if I passed the same guy today. Over the east link southbound. Never pedalled and was doing a very steady 30kph. It was definitely a battery powered bike and had pedals but he never pedalled once. The make of bike was Pride.

Exciting dreams, I think - don't the government re-set some VAT rates often during Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An e-bike isn't a bicycle, it's essentially a motorbike... Shouldn't be part of the scheme.
    Never pedalled and was doing a very steady 30kph. It was definitely a battery powered bike and had pedals but he never pedalled once.
    If they are not pedalling yet getting assistance then the bikes are not included in the BTW scheme, and likely need tax & insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Exciting dreams, I think - don't the government re-set some VAT rates often during Budget?

He was correct in fact, the government can't reduce the rates. They have the power to set the VAT rate (must be above 15%) and then they can have two reduced rates, but must be for goods or services listed in the VAT Directive (ebikes are not listed afaik).

that said, i read (in the irish times report card on various ministers) that leo varadkar was able to reduce the VAT rate for 'tourist services'; how does this differ from adding cycling related equipment to the lower rates?

Visited Dara in Beecycles yesterday. Asked for a single spoke, he had the correct length, didn't charge me anything even when I insisted. Small favour, great chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Had my daily reminder while crossing road this morning that we have long way to go before the rules of road are followed by people in a car nevermind on a bike.

a colleague reminded me this morning of an amusing crash he had a few years ago; he was cycling home after a rehearsal with a friend, and when they came to the junction where their ways parted, she bade him farewell, stuck her arm out left to signal her turn, and clotheslined him. they ended up in a tangle on the road.

she should have just asked him for his number.

Chockingly romantic story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A couple of retro cycling photos from the early 80s, a cycle from Kilnamanagh to Glendalough
    http://www.echo.ie/images/20170503_173022_001.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement