Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ThisRegard wrote: »
    A couple of retro cycling photos from the early 80s, a cycle from Kilnamanagh to Glendalough
    http://www.echo.ie/images/20170503_173022_001.jpg

And nary a sign of Lycra.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Chuchote wrote: »
    And nary a sign of Lycra.

There was plenty of it around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Vanity, Grooming and Brexit
    I nearly pulled the trigger on a matching Rapha jersey and shorts yesterday for €280. I stopped at 'confirm order' when I realised it was only 3rd of May, its a long month, and I'm broke.
    The impetus to buy this was a recent cycling camp in Mallorca; There were a few Brits, a bunch of BeNeLux, and Irish. You could tell the Irish/Brits by their charity sportive jerseys, random mixed pro-team gear (Sky in the case of the Brits), tatty/tired club gear (me), hairy legs and a few beer guts (including me....a bit). The Irish: terrible-nice lads, not bad on the bike but flouting all these rules:https://eurocyclist.wordpress.com/about/

I think for the most part, the Irish male's summer wardrobe has left the socks & sandals supported by a GAA jersey for the stereotype. Even though sartorial eloquence does not come naturally to us, at least there is effort by many to improve their work or casual wardrobes. But, there are those that try too hard, and this too can lead to exclusion from sociatal approval.

An Irishnan's body attired in Rapha/Assos/MAAP/whatever, blinding white shoes, pristine socks just above ankles, protone helmet and Oakley jawbreakers would be viewed suspiciously/skeptically by many at first, even if he was a decent cyclist. Its not the same for Irish women. If they make this type of effort, it would be appreciated, acknowledged and supported.
    So, this forum has likely dealt with this very question in its annals. As summer 2017 approaches and we announce our allegiance to our European partners and wave good-by to our British neighbours, should I be able stand alongside my Italian/French/Spanish friends groomed and detailed? Will the Irish wife accept this as a matter of national identity and therefore understand that this is a non-discretionary expense?
    Should we develop our own rules?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rule 1
    You are either a Kelly or a Roche man (you can be both but must have a favourite)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't we be a Martin Earley man?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can't we be a Martin Earley man?

yes and a Kimmage/Elliot etc but have to pick one of the above as well....

Well then it's Kelly for how he pronounces Darwin Atapuma and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

2.Approved Pro-Gear: US Postal, Discovery & Festina and T-Mobile. PDM and Carerra are acceptable if you have declared under rule 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2.Approved Pro-Gear: US Postal, Discovery & Festina and T-Mobile. PDM and Carerra are acceptable if you have declared under rule 1
    My latest top is an Once - how does that stand? Still can't decide if a Postal jersey is too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anybody got some old chains lying around and wanting to cash in on this whole fidget craze? Knock up a few of these yokes,charge a fiver each,viola-profit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Hand-Spinner-Fidget-Cube-Key-Ring-High-Speed-Rotation-Toys/32803791837.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.34.mFQwQs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

RANT: Jobsworth security guard told me to walk down the car park ramp with my bike on my way into work this morning. I tried explaining the steepness combined with cleats means I'm at more a risk of falling if I walk down it. He didn't care, the sign says cyclist dismount and that what he must enforce. There really is no speaking to these people. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I seem to have relieved RobFowl of a KOM this morning. I feel that I've just kicked a man who is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hungrycol wrote: »
    RANT: Jobsworth security guard told me to walk down the car park ramp with my bike on my way into work this morning. I tried explaining the steepness combined with cleats means I'm at more a risk of falling if I walk down it. He didn't care, the sign says cyclist dismount and that what he must enforce. There really is no speaking to these people. :mad:

Sounds like you're working the office buildings where I used to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling home today, along the frascati road, a car was pulled in on the cycle lane (which is essentially an off road one), completely blocking it. the driver was getting out as i approached, so i was thinking flat tyre. i asked him was he OK as i was passing (as i had to slow down to drop into the road to pass him). he was looking for directions to blackrock clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Hungrycol wrote: »

What's he going to do to stop you?

There's no point getting into a row with a security guard. Just swap the cycling shoes for office shoes at the entrance and wheel the bike. It's annoying, but so is cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just swap the cycling shoes for office shoes at the entrance and wheel the bike....
    2 points:

1. Many of us leave our 'office shoes' at work.
    2. Would a driver of a motorised vehicle accept getting out and pushing their vehicle down the ramp?

I agree with the question posed by Miklos - what are they going to do? I'm 29 years in my current location. 2 years ago they installed a security barrier. The security jobworths look for ID from regular employees but seem reluctant to do so from those who have no business being there. Hence the reason I refuse to provide it and simply cycle around the barrier. Annoyingly none of them have pursued me yet! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

When are we painting the Luas in hi-vis so drivers can see it? And mandatory helmets for passengers of course - two injured.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/0505/872681-luas-truck-collision/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Must do this more often! F$%$ S*?" As$?%$?

Strong language: Cursing boosts stamina and grip strength

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    And mandatory helmets for passengers of course - two injured.
    whiplash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

its a reason red line is quiet slow constantly battles for priority at junctions with vehicle traffic.

The current debate over cars being able to keep using all the quays is heart breaking

buffalo wrote: »
    When are we painting the Luas in hi-vis so drivers can see it? And mandatory helmets for passengers of course - two injured.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/0505/872681-luas-truck-collision/

At 6.30 in the morning too when there can't have been an awful lot of traffic.

Huge longitudinal Danish and Swedish studies show cycling cuts heart disease in older people

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161101100149.htm
    People who bike regularly for pleasure or to commute have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, according to two studies.

In a study of 45,000 Danish adults published in the American Heart Association journal Circulation:

Those who regularly biked for recreation or to commute had 11 percent to 18 percent fewer heart attacks during a 20-year follow-up.
    As little as half an hour of biking per week provided some protection against coronary artery disease.
    People who took up biking during the first five years of follow-up also had about a 25 percent lower risk of developing heart disease, compared with those who remained non-bikers in the subsequent 15 years.
    Researchers estimate that more than 7 percent of 2,892 heart attacks during the 20 years could have been averted by taking up cycling and doing it regularly.

"Because recreational and commuter biking is an easy way to make physical activity part of one's routine in a non-structured and informal fashion, based on the results, public health authorities, governments and employers ought to consider initiatives that promote bicycle riding as a way to support large scale cardiovascular disease prevention efforts," said Kim Blond, M.Sc., lead author and research assistant at the University of Southern Denmark.

In a study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, middle-aged and older Swedish adults who biked to work were less likely than non-bikers to be obese, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure or pre-diabetes -- all critical drivers of cardiovascular risk.

Researchers followed more than 20,000 people in their 40s, 50s and 60s for 10 years and monitored their commuting habits, weight, cholesterol levels, blood glucose and blood pressure.

At the beginning of the study, compared with passive commuters who used public transportation or drove to work, active commuters who biked to work were:

15 percent less likely to be obese
    13 percent less likely have high blood pressure
    15 percent less likely to have high cholesterol
    12 percent less likely to have pre-diabetes or diabetes
    In a follow-up exam 10 years later, those who maintained or took up biking had a 39 percent lower risk of obesity, 11 percent lower risk of high blood pressure, 20 percent lower risk of high cholesterol and 18 percent lower diabetes risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Haven't been on the bike in 10days, been quite unwell and have been given another 10days of antibiotics by the doc. Mad how they are becoming less effective even in people that rarely use them. I mean I've taken them probably 5 times in the last 10 years. Horrible throat infection on me and the tabs are huge and hard to swallow at the best of times (No penicillin for me)

Although I did buy and fit my cadence sensor. Pleasantly surprised at how easy it could speak to my Garmin, I was expecting a faff

There's yokes called something like Tirocet that you can get over the counter in a chemist - they have a little bit of anaesthetic stuff in them and soothe the throat if you're trying to swallow big pills. In consultation with the doc, of course. Not medical advice!

There's yokes called something like Tirocet that you can get over the counter in a chemist - they have a little bit of anaesthetic stuff in them and soothe the throat if you're trying to swallow big pills. In consultation with the doc, of course. Not medical advice!

Indeed, Tyrozets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ah I can get them down, I'm a big boy :) it's just a bit of a pain, I'm sure it'll get easier as the days go on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

In a follow-up exam 10 years later, those who maintained or took up biking had a 39 percent lower risk of obesity......

I get really irritated with the constant "correlation = causation" you see in the media nowadays.

This is implying that cycling reduces your risk of obesity by 39 %

I assume that commuting to work can have some impact on obesity levels - though far less so than diet. It certainly does not account for a 39% reduction in obesity risk. This statistic demonstrates something else entirely:

People who are obese are significantly less likely to cycle into work than those who aren't.

It's like that radio add that says 85% of people who visit a financial adviser are likely to be financially better off. Yeah almost 100% of people who fly in first class are also financially better off, it doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Probably over 95% of people who have breathed oxygen, from prehistoric times to date, are dead. This happens to be approximately the same percentage of the total population of people who have ever lived who are dead, but don't let that distract you from a soundbite statistic.

This is aimed at the study not your post or the poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. There are 2 adults and 3 children in my family and last I looked none of them were Chinese.

Happy Friday People.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Fian wrote: »
    ..... This is implying that cycling reduces your risk of obesity by 39 % .....

At least it's one of the better misconceptions as regards cycling :pac::pac:

("correlation = cause" drives me nuts too if I'm honest)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement