Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Idleater wrote: »
    Not in this case I'm guessing. vidette uk is a construction company. If they were a courier company I'd be more inclined to agree with you.
    The point is more that they are in an easily identifiable vehicle and risked losing their job. So I would expect them to show far more restraint -whether or not what they did was even illegal. I think what they did was illegal, but roaring out someone is a cnut might not be illegal but could get you sacked if wearing the company logo, or driving in a company vehicle and therefore seen as representing them. Thankfully this unhinged lunatic did lose their job.

I still wonder if anything happened to the joruno calling it "tormenting"

"little johnny was tormenting the cat again"
    "ah the little rascal, pulling his tail was he?"
    "no, stuck him in a sack and dumped him in the canal..."
    ROAD RAGE DRIVER SACKED Company boss issues grovelling apology after white van driver was filmed running a cyclist off road
    Vidette UK Ltd sacked engineer with 'immediate effect' in wake of nail-biting viral footage which shows driver forcing cyclist off road...

Another weighed in: “The van driver needs either jail time or disqualification from driving.

“Ramming a person with a vehicle is essentially assault with a deadly weapon.”

Meanwhile, BBC radio host Jeremy Vine – who shared the video on Twitter twice – wrote: “It actually takes practise to drive as badly as this.”
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3497910/company-boss-issues-grovelling-apology-after-white-van-driver-was-filmed-running-a-cyclist-off-road/
    OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Any elephants around Howth today ?
    had to look it up, a mate of mine and myself have a "thing" of looking up stuff on google to see if ever mentioned before, "elephant in lycra"

elephant-costume-slate-grey-and-blue-spandex-lycra-zentai-suit-f8525a.image.312x488.jpg
    elephant-costume-slate-grey-and-blue-spandex-lycra-zentai-suit-957374.image.172x269.jpg
    elephant-costume-slate-grey-and-blue-spandex-lycra-zentai-suit-be7e23.image.312x488.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

rubadub wrote: »
    The point is more that they are in an easily identifiable vehicle and risked losing their job. So I would expect them to show far more restraint -whether or not what they did was even illegal. I think what they did was illegal, but roaring out someone is a cnut might not be illegal but could get you sacked if wearing the company logo, or driving in a company vehicle and therefore seen as representing them. Thankfully this unhinged lunatic did lose their job.

I still wonder if anything happened to the joruno calling it "tormenting"

"little johnny was tormenting the cat again"
    "ah the little rascal, pulling his tail was he?"
    "no, stuck him in a sack and dumped him in the canal..."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3497910/company-boss-issues-grovelling-apology-after-white-van-driver-was-filmed-running-a-cyclist-off-road/

Have a read of the comments in The Sun, and be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

E-bike sales seem to have absorbed most of the potential moped sales in Europe, and then some:

https://twitter.com/asymco/status/860677879943897088

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    E-bike sales seem to have absorbed most of the potential moped sales in Europe, and then some

Possibly due to ambiguity in terms of tax, insurance and need for a driving license. From the FAQ on the Garda website
    What is the legal status of electric/battery powered scooters?
    The use of these types of scooters has become very popular in recent years, especially with children. The legal position is that if one of these scooters can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedalling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, irrespective of engine capacity. If such scooters are to be used in any public place, they require insurance and road tax as with any other MPV. The driver would also require a driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet. If the user of such a scooter cannot fulfil these legal requirements, then the scooter should only be used on private property.

My reading of it is if they don't need pedal assistance, they should be taxed and insured but I doubt very many people tax and insure e-bikes.

I was passed in the bakfiets by a man on a scooter the other day. My daughter was very taken by his scooter, as it was basically a giant version of her scooter, but with a motor.

I guess he should have had a H-word and insurance, judging by the Garda FAQ linked above. He may have had the latter, didn't have the former.

(I think if a bicycle doesn't require pedal assistance, it isn't an e-bike by definition, but I could be wrong about that.)

• Advertisement

E-bike sales seem to have absorbed most of the potential moped sales in Europe, and then some:

https://twitter.com/asymco/status/860677879943897088
    that is mopeds of 50cc or under. I would wonder if sales of higher cc mopeds have simply risen.
    (I think if a bicycle doesn't require pedal assistance, it isn't an e-bike by definition, but I could be wrong about that.)
    e-bike is not defined in law, here anyway. But the back to work scheme did call out & define pedelecs.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/section/7/enacted/en/html
    pedal cycle ? means?

(i) a bicycle or tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon, or

(ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

? pedelec ? means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedelec
    A pedelec (from pedal electric cycle) is a bicycle where the rider's pedalling is assisted by a small electric motor; thus it is a type of low-powered e-bike. However, unlike some other types of e-bikes, pedelecs are classified as conventional bicycles in many countries by road authorities rather than as a type of electric moped. Pedelecs include an electronic controller which cuts power to the motor when the rider is not pedalling or when a certain speed ? usually 25 km/h (16 mph) ? is reached. Pedelecs are useful for people who ride in hilly areas or in strong headwinds. While a pedelec can be any type of bicycle, a pedelec city bike is very common. A conventional bicycle can be converted to a pedelec with the addition of the necessary parts, i.e. motor, battery etc.

Many jurisdictions classify pedelecs as bicycles as opposed to mopeds or motorcycles. More powerful e-bikes, such as the S-Pedelecs and power-on-demand e-bikes (those whose motors can provide assistance regardless of whether the rider is pedalling or not) are often classified as mopeds or even motorcycles with the rider thus subject to the regulations of such motor vehicles, e.g. having a license and a vehicle registration, wearing a helmet etc.

I am surprised they are not more popular, many think of it as "cheating", or that they will get no exercise. On better models you can adjust the assistance to various levels, as the bikes are typically very heavy you can set assistance to a level where you have to put in a similar amount of effort into a journey as you would on a light & efficient road bike -but you could have a very strong sturdy bike with suspension & bike tyres well able to handle our appalling roads. I do see more people on them nowadays, strangley I see less old people on them -the first electric bikes I saw were invariably used by people of pension age -crappy looking bikes, maybe they all packed in!

I do see more people on them nowadays, strangley I see less old people on them -the first electric bikes I saw were invariably used by people of pension age -crappy looking bikes, maybe they all packed in!

Mopeds used to be the same back in the day, with lots of older folks using them. You'd think e-bikes and e-trikes would be ideal for keeping older folk more independent once they've hit the stage where they no longer fancy driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Mopeds used to be the same back in the day, with lots of older folks using them. You'd think e-bikes and e-trikes would be ideal for keeping older folk more independent once they've hit the stage where they no longer fancy driving a car.

I was in Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago and e-bikes seemed to be nearing ubiquity

Including among a pensioners touring group

I guess it was "pedelec" I was thinking of. Yeah, I think they're a good option for many people. I imagine the poorish uptake here is down to the general feeling that cycling is too hazardous.

EDIT: And the price. I imagine if you're not into cycling to begin with you don't want to drop that sort of money only to find you don't want to use the bike. Pity, as a lot of people could make good use of a e-cargo bike or a an electric roadster.

And the price. I imagine if you're not into cycling to begin with you don't want to drop that sort of money only to find you don't want to use the bike.
    Yeah, a decent one costs a lot, but I think its fantastic value. I am sure many in this forum have been through the standard

"how much was your bike"
    "1-3grand"
    "jaysus, sure you could have got a car for that"

The response should be "but sure what good is a car if its sitting in my driveway? how much is this car really going to cost if I want to use it for say the next 5 years? tax, insurance, fuel, servicing, NCT, will this 1 grand car even being going in 5 years?"
    cycling is too hazardous.
    off topic, I was wondering if anybody knows of people who do not allow their secondary school children cycle to school, when the kids want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may head in to the dublin cycling campaign meeting in town tonight. do many boardsies go to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Dear fellow boardsies,

Yoga or pilates, which is better for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm going to say yoga, because I do it now and then..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Dear fellow boardsies,

Cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I was in Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago and e-bikes seemed to be nearing ubiquity

Including among a pensioners touring group

Also, Germans are way more sensible about risk, for instances when we made our ritual visit to the nearest Decathlon store, adults and children were test riding bikes around the aisles without loss of life or limb or any sign of it being a problem for anyone.

Aaaaand, I'm pretty sure that closing every shop on a Sunday is a net public health benefit since it eliminates the option of spending every Sunday walking around the local shopping centre ad infinitum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may head in to the dublin cycling campaign meeting in town tonight. do many boardsies go to them?
    If anyone else is here, I'm the chap in the brown t-shirt with the adulterous hot dog on it.

Yeah, a decent one costs a lot, but I think its fantastic value. I am sure many in this forum have been through the standard

"how much was your bike"
    "1-3grand"
    "jaysus, sure you could have got a car for that"

The response should be "but sure what good is a car if its sitting in my driveway? how much is this car really going to cost if I want to use it for say the next 5 years? tax, insurance, fuel, servicing, NCT, will this 1 grand car even being going in 5 years?"

Yeah, I got this a bit when I mentioned I was thinking of getting the bakfiets, with many mentions of the second-hand cars I could get for the price, but a year later, the loan we took out to get the bakfiets is nearly paid, and it's very cheap travel from now on (a few cent a kilometre, I think). My school run in the morning would be at least twice as long without it too (as it is, it's an hour-long round trip, as, for this year only, the two kids go to schools a fair distance apart).

If anyone else is here, I'm the chap in the brown t-shirt with the adulterous hot dog on it.
    I should join them, I think. I've almost no free time, but I assume just being a member is some use to them.

well, the €20 membership fee may be worth the discount you get in most bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Amanda Coker has only 5 days to go in her HAMR attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bikes etc magazine has a supplement on ebikes this month. Noticed it in Easons in airport when passing

christ. she's cycled more in the last week than i have in the last year.

Wow, 84945.7 miles as of yesterday, still doing 236 miles per day consistently. Holding her current pace would put her at 86361 miles. Incredible stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Wow, 84945.7 miles as of yesterday, still doing 236 miles per day consistently. Holding her current pace would put her at 86361 miles. Incredible stuff!

It's as much an achievement in combating bordedom as anything else; endless laps of the same short pan flat circuit. She's copied and improved on what Kurt finished his year doing

It's smart, within rules, makes supplies, rest etc infinitely easier.

I love the bulldog way Abrahams had a go at doing it. Not very smart, lumpy terrain, etc but properly epic. Ended in failure with him in a bad way

Its a problem with distance related cycling records for sure, all miles are most certainly not equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Dear fellow boardsies,

Been wondering the same myself. Currently attending a physio for a back injury and she recommended I should take up one or the other.

There's a lady called Sinead Kennedy that does yoga for cyclists apparently.

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/fitness/how-i-peddle-yoga-to-groups-of-hamstrung-cyclists-30281824.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Been wondering the same myself. Currently attending a physio for a back injury and she recommended I should take up one or the other.

There's a lady called Sinead Kennedy that does yoga for cyclists apparently.

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/fitness/how-i-peddle-yoga-to-groups-of-hamstrung-cyclists-30281824.html

I went to her classes for a few years, they're really great - I'd highly recommend them for increasing flexibility and core strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Thanks folks. Churchtown is a bridge too far for me but will look at something closer to home.

Thanks folks. Churchtown is a bridge too far for me but will look at something closer to home.

The cyclist specific one is a couple of bridges nearer apparently, still a bit away from Lusk though

CLASS LOCATIONS & INFORMATION:
    MONDAY
    YOGA FOR CYCLISTS:
    MONDAY 7:30pm
    Raw Condition Gym,
    Richmond Street,
    Dublin 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sarah Gunn does special pilates courses for cyclists in the Dublin Holistic Centre at 28 South William Street if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement