Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pearse street physio recommended Pilates to me but I was having back issues. Would've done it there but didn't take it up at all.

I did find planking to be the best exercise for it though but it took me a while to get good at it and do it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pearse street physio recommended Pilates to me but I was having back issues. Would've done it there but didn't take it up at all.

I did find planking to be the best exercise for it though but it took me a while to get good at it and do it right

Planks suck. Sorensen holds suck. Yoga sucks. All core excercises are the worst think to do in the gym. Especially for cyclists who generally have the core strength of Bird's Trifle.

I found them to be very beneficial, though I had a physio observing me and that was only after a number of weeks of other exercises to build up the strength to do them and then it was a gradual build up again.

All Pilates and yoga can be bad if not done well or properly though and can make any issues worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Secret? Strava Challenge, for those interested.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/cancellara-gore-750

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote, was that you I called over to today as you were leaving the Dodder river cycleway at Clonskeagh Road? If not, someone is probably still wondering what that was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Chuchote, was that you I called over to today as you were leaving the Dodder river cycleway at Clonskeagh Road? If not, someone is probably still wondering what that was all about.

Was indeed (wave!) Nice pronunciation, by the way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I want to raise my hands on the air going past slow moving traffic on the N11, with a big smile, screaming you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Wondering if the Phoenix Park will be good for a spin tonight with the royal visit... lovely free hard shoulders all the way down Chesterfield Avenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

buffalo wrote: »
    Wondering if the Phoenix Park will be good for a spin tonight with the royal visit... lovely free hard shoulders all the way down Chesterfield Avenue!

Was up there at lunchtime. Every single traffic cone owned by AGS has been placed on Chesterfield Avenue. Multiple members of our finest ambling along the bike lanes and hard shoulder enjoying the sunshine. Despite that I got a PB.

Had no idea the Royals were due and was thinking how much clout Orwell have these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

daragh_ wrote: »
    Had no idea the Royals were due and was thinking how much clout Orwell have these days ;)

heh, wonder how close the club was to a repeat of Joe Biden vs the Nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Last sunday some scrote stole my youngsters bike. Myself and koutobia did a tour round to try to find him but no joy :(
    Roll on to last night when I spotted the toe rag, scumbag, thieving, bollix on it. To cut a long story short recovered the bike without decking the pr*ck ( didn't want to end up un the nick !).
    Came home from work to find my young fella had made me a chocolate sundae, spend some of his pocket money on crisps for me and had cleaned my bike !
    Happy days and happy Rob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Last sunday some scrote stole my youngsters bike. Myself and koutobia did a tour round to try to find him but no joy :(
    Roll on to last night when I spotted the toe rag, scumbag, thieving, bollix on it. To cut a long story short recovered the bike without decking the pr*ck ( didn't want to end up un the nick !).
    Came home from work to find my young fella had made me a chocolate sundae, spend some of his pocket money on crisps for me and had cleaned my bike !
    Happy days and happy Rob :)

So I take it you'll be hiding the bike on a weekly basis? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hey nee, do you remember all that tea that you gave me back in 2014? I presume the rosebuds were sans pesticides and all that?!?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Hey nee, do you remember all that tea that you gave me back in 2014? I presume the rosebuds were sans pesticides and all that?!?!

Yesssss......

Pour quoi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

nee wrote: »
    Yesssss......

Pour quoi?

Well I've developed quite an ...

Ah no, just got around to drinking it today! The thought entered my mind whilst I was taking afternoon tea and gazing out at the roses in my garden and the trouble we've had with pests.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Well I've developed quite an ...

Ah no, just got around to drinking it today! The thought entered my mind whilst I was taking afternoon tea and gazing out at the roses in my garden and the trouble we've had with pests.

Greenfly: put ends of soap bars in water and let them melt in; spray the resulting greasy, soapy mix on greenfly-infested roses:

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/insects/insect-control-soaps-and-detergents-5-547/

Black spot: give the roses some nice ripe horse manure, and make sure they're watered enough.

Slugs/snails: make a slug trap or buy one (the bought ones have little umbrellas built in, which is handy in a rainy country. Slugs seem to like Guinness best, but will drink most beers if you add a bit of sugar. Or you can mix milk, sugar and yeast. They drink themselves to death +RIP+

Also go around at night for a few nights picking slugs and snails off plants and killing them. Or if you have ducks or know where they're to be found, donate the victims to them.

For pot plants, ring the pot with around 3cm of copper tape; it gives slugs and snails electric shocks. This also works at the top of raised beds if they're surrounded by wood or concrete and there are no holes to burrow through.

For slugs and snails (and mice) eating baby plants, don't plant out the babies until they're big enough to defend themselves, ie until at least they have a couple of sets of true leaves.

We spray plants with soapy water to get rid of green fly. Works well.

Drink themselves to death? That's gas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

main drawback with that is disposing of the soup of manky dead slugs and beer, if you forget to empty it every day or two.

we have very little issue with slugs in our garden, thankfully - but we do have plenty of wild birds visting, and a couple of chickens too.

Stupid Ferrari and their stupid strategy call mean Boylesports won't be adding to my new group set fund

• Advertisement

Drink themselves to death? That's gas

Yeah, you can hear, very faintly, if you lean out an upstairs window and don't startle them, a chorus of "Let the grasses grow and the breezes blow in a free and an easy way, but give me enough of the rare oul' stuff that comes from Victoria Quay…" while the solar lanterns sway.
    main drawback with that is disposing of the soup of manky dead slugs and beer, if you forget to empty it every day or two.

we have very little issue with slugs in our garden, thankfully - but we do have plenty of wild birds visting, and a couple of chickens too.

On the other hand, if you leave the corpses there they probably form a biological warfare agent and kill even more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so it's obvious and well known how much difference cycling in a group makes in terms of effort and speed. but has it ever been quantified in a reasonable way?
    just comparing myself this morning - 46km, 25km/h, to two people i know who went out in groups, who went farther and faster. is there a rule of thumb on how much faster or further you can go in a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

so it's obvious and well known how much difference cycling in a group makes in terms of effort and speed. but has it ever been quantified in a reasonable way?
    just comparing myself this morning - 46km, 25km/h, to two people i know who went out in groups, who went farther and faster. is there a rule of thumb on how much faster or further you can go in a group?

To pull some numbers out of my hole, I'd say up to 30% faster and further for the same effort in a large group on a flattish or rolling route, and for smaller groups maybe 20% faster and further.

cheers, i've been invited out with one group, was just conscious of being able to keep up with them; they went about 10% faster and 50% further than me today, albeit not climbing quite as much despite their longer spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chuchote wrote: »
    Greenfly: put ends of soap bars in water and let them melt in; spray the resulting greasy, soapy mix on greenfly-infested roses.....
    A squirt of washing up liquid into the sprayer is a lot easier and works well. ;)

cheers, i've been invited out with one group, was just conscious of being able to keep up with them; they went about 10% faster and 50% further than me today, albeit not climbing quite as much despite their longer spin.

Kind of afraid to go in a group myself for the same reasons. I've done 100k solo @27kph with 900metres up so I should be OK... just have to find a club/group that suits me.
    The Barrytown Wheelers still about?

heh, i'd be happy with 27km/h over half that distance...

A squirt of washing up liquid into the sprayer is a lot easier and works well. ;)

It works well for washing them off, but if you want biological warfare use the soap - the greasiness disrupts their breeding abilities, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

This has turned into a bit of "how to get away with muder" thread. Your all very lucky the fox hunting haters don't care for snails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Amanda Coker's year has ended with 140,248kms covered or an average of 384km per day. What a feat of human endurance! :cool:

She's now continuing for the 100,000 miles record. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement