Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

What a feat of human endurance! :cool:
    QUOTE]

Steady on. It's not exactly Ranulph Fiennes/Shackleton material?

Don't get me wrong, very difficult very few people could do it.

The way they set it up a flat 10km lap with other riders left no worries/stress with regard to
    *maintenance
    * food supplies
    * getting lost
    * being alone for very long periods

IMO any of those Tour Divide/Trans Am type gravel road endurance events are tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Awesome as it is, the way Amanda does it is like everesting a local hill vs climbing Everest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't follow that analogy though - she was out to cover distance, and that's all; saying she didn't make it hard enough on herself doing that distance seems a little weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Think key point, is her record is just about the numbers, it hasn't embraced the freedom and exploration that audax riding and long distance rides bring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Her distance challenge was a bit more a kin to the recent Nike attempt on the 2 hour marathon.
    Made sure all the ducks were in a row.
    Nothing wrong with it as such but does not capture the imagination anywhere near as much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

i don't follow that analogy though - she was out to cover distance, and that's all; saying she didn't make it hard enough on herself doing that distance seems a little weird?

The previous records, while they had support and sponsorship, there was a ruggedness to it.

Long days endlessly on their own, undulating countryside, having to figure out food supplies, lodgings, weather, doing your own maintenance, medical assistance, navigation etc (Abrahams liver was in awful shape when he pulled out of his attempt).

Most riders would struggle having to do that for a single long solo ride. The extra stress of doing all the above as against doing the same 10km loop on a pan flat route with others isn't even comparable.

Round the world records etc are way more admirable. They have basically dumbed it down so much they may as well be indoors doing VR.

Great feats of human endurance involving being not fully prepared for what turns up and adapting and getting there anyhow.

Google why Tom Crean has a glacier named after him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Billie Fleming and Tommy Godwin's feats are far more impressive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Nasty fall. From 2.30 onwards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrkXhq-aMs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bike should never have been given back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

First thought... WOW!

Second... *cries*

Third... If you're not using it any more, can I strip it down for parts?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/aqua-blue-sport-bike-completely-destroyed-by-budget-airline/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

First thought... WOW!

Second... *cries*

Third... If you're not using it any more, can I strip it down for parts?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/aqua-blue-sport-bike-completely-destroyed-by-budget-airline/

Fourth - why are they blaming the airline - isn't it normally the airport staff who handle luggage?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ford2600 wrote: »
    Google why Tom Crean has a glacier named after him.

Did he cycle up it on slicks??

:pac:

Chuchote wrote: »
    Fourth - why are they blaming the airline - isn't it normally the airport staff who handle luggage?

No. Depending on the airline and airport, baggage is usually handled by airline staff, or contracted to a ground handling agency (the likes of Servisair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No. Depending on the airline and airport, baggage is usually handled by airline staff, or contracted to a ground handling agency (the likes of Servisair)

Ah, right? When my baggage got lost the airline said to contact Aer Rianta, who contacted some lost luggage place in America, from which it eventually returned months later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so has anyone ever done testing on pedals to find out what type hurts least if you put the power down before you're fully clipped in?

i will have an impressive bruise on my shin by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Big 5 Axle at Grove Road, Portobello Bridge this morning. Attempting to turn left onto Rathmines Road Lower. In rush hour.

Traffic was at a standstill and he was on a red so myself and another commuter ahead of me went up in the bike lane on his inside.

Light went green and he started to turn. Gave a holler and then I was past him but it was a real eye opener. I always make a point of hanging back when it looks like any vehicle is about to turn but it just goes to show that one moment of distraction is all it takes.

i know this is not cycling related, but makes for interesting reading about the future of our streets if (and that's a very big 'if') the predictions are in any way accurate.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/fossil-fuel-vehicles-will-vanish-in-8-years-in-twin-death-spiral-for-big-oil-and-big-autos-says-study-that-shocking-the-industry

so has anyone ever done testing on pedals to find out what type hurts least if you put the power down before you're fully clipped in?

THESE.

Alek wrote: »

I'm not sure I want to know, but I'm going to ask anyway... What the holy hell is that?!

I'm not sure I want to know

Yes you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »

It looks like it escaped from a sex gymnasium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks like it escaped from a sex gymnasium.

Mental note, don't go cross training with Lumen...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not sure if the correct place is here but this is pretty ****ing brazen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4512066/Moment-thief-tries-steal-bike-car.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure if the correct place is here but this is pretty ****ing brazen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4512066/Moment-thief-tries-steal-bike-car.html
    That's shocking. I'd have expected the top tube bag would have put him right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

A link to the daily mail, the only paper worse than "the sun" and thats a high bar to beat.
    Have now gone to point i'll refuse to clock anything that links to them, if you look at their site be it for sport etc you encourage all the other crap they sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

manafana wrote: »
    A link to the daily mail, the only paper worse than "the sun" and thats a high bar to beat.
    Have now gone to point i'll refuse to clock anything that links to them, if you look at their site be it for sport etc you encourage all the other crap they sprout

So true that it deserves to be posted twice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd let you know when a reputable news source picks it up

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The scrotes will literally stop at nothing to nick a bike....

https://www.facebook.com/RCUKbike/videos/1386247641423214/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone know a team going to Donegal Two Day with place for A2 rider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to live in Orange County without a car, so I can vouch for the accuracy of much of this:
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/walk-a-message-to-the-class-of-2017-1795137963

(A paean to walking, despite an environment that is almost comically unconducive.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement