Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

'excuse me, how long would it take to cycle from here to UCD?'
    'oh, eight minutes and 24 seconds'.
    it's 2.1km, so they've clearly based the time taken on a 15km/h average. which is slower than the speed i average up to howth summit from the village.
    That's not far from where I work, I'd frequently go that way on a lunchtime run, and there are a few of those signs in that set of estates, with walking and cycling times between UCD and Booterstown DART station. It's a great way of enticing people to walk and cycle by showing how quick it is, but it's so bizarre that they went for "exact estimates". Wouldn't it be neater to just say "9 mins"?

That said, I can equally see some pedant sending in an email to the council asking, "Where did you get 9 minutes from? I calculate at the average human walking speed of 14.986km/h it would take 8.4356 minutes. Why are you misleading people?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen electric bikes on sale that I presume would require insurance as they are effectively motorbikes. Unless there was a change in the law, I know there was talk of increasing the speed limitation on them.

Anything vehicle that requires an engine to propel it on the roads should certainly have insurance etc, however as an E-Bike has a motor but cannot be propelled solely by the motor then it's a bicycle...as the assistance cuts out above about 25 kph anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    an E-Bike has a motor but cannot be propelled solely by the motor then it's a bicycle...as the assistance cuts out above about 25 kph anyways.
    we do not know what sort of electric bike the guy got. I have seen lads on ones which did not appear to be petrol and it was moving with no pedalling. Also others which are pedal assist can go faster than 25kph.

This is the legal definition of what is covered by the cycle to work scheme
    ? pedal cycle ? means?

(i) a bicycle or tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon, or

(ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

? pedelec ? means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

rubadub wrote: »
    we do not know what sort of electric bike the guy got. I have seen lads on ones which did not appear to be petrol and it was moving with no pedalling. Also others which are pedal assist can go faster than 25kph.
    This is the legal definition of what is covered by the cycle to work scheme

Dunno either, I guess it means a standard ebike..

Ah sure legal definitions vary in each country / jurisdiction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/goodvibrations.html

My in law is on TV tonight, which is a pretty interesting story. Anyone with an interest in music should enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/goodvibrations.html

My in law is on TV tonight, which is a pretty interesting story. Anyone with an interest in music should enjoy it

Saw an ad for this the other day. It looks very interesting.

Spotted in Dublin: Dial-a-mattress! or something! ;)

29p4uw3.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's nothing like watermelon straight from the fridge when you come in off the bike on a day like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

27 degrees this evening and you still see lads commuting in Waterproof trousers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

27 degrees this evening and you still see lads commuting in Waterproof trousers
    They and the GAA-shorts-mid-winter lads should race each other. Choosing the time of year for the race would be difficult though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My new workplace isn't a million miles from liffey valley so decided to enquire in a bike shop near there how much to replace the bearings in my Mavic Ksyrium SL's, €160quid... anybody else had this job done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My new workplace isn't a million miles from liffey valley so decided to enquire in a bike shop near there how much to replace the bearings in my Mavic Ksyrium SL's, €160quid... anybody else had this job done?

Have you tried Humphries in Finglas?.
    I've found them very reasonable, particularly with Mavic Wheels. Derek is a sound man.

I will, thanks. I COULD stop being a lazy bugger and do it myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any idea how much of the €160 is parts and how much is labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a bit of a surreal experience tonight. I got the bus which I don't think I've done in about 25 years. All very modern and clean and fancy etc. I was a bit paranoid about the exact fare malarkey as back in the day you could present a 50 pounds note and get change.

Anyway, when I used the 33 frequently back in the 1980's, early 1990's, there used to be a mother and teenage son on it regularly. The mother would talk non-stop and the son would nod politely every so often while wearing headphones.

They were on it tonight. I couldn't believe it. And nothing has changed as such. The mother was still talking nineteen to the dozen while he was still nodding politely while still wearing head phones. He is much heavier now (probably in his 40's now) while she hasn't really changed at all.

Buses seem much cleaner now. When I used them last they were the old dull green ones which were manky and often stank of urine but you could smoke upstairs!

This has nothing to do with cycling but it is the off topic thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

I had a bit of a surreal experience tonight. I got the bus which I don't think I've done in about 25 years. All very modern and clean and fancy etc. I was a bit paranoid about the exact fare malarkey as back in the day you could present a 50 pounds note and get change.

Anyway, when I used the 33 frequently back in the 1980's, early 1990's, there used to be a mother and teenage son on it regularly. The mother would talk non-stop and the son would nod politely every so often while wearing headphones.

They were on it tonight. I couldn't believe it. And nothing has changed as such. The mother was still talking nineteen to the dozen while he was still nodding politely while still wearing head phones. He is much heavier now (probably in his 40's now) while she hasn't really changed at all.

Buses seem much cleaner now. When I used them last they were the old dull green ones which were manky and often stank of urine but you could smoke upstairs!

This has nothing to do with cycling but it is the off topic thread! :)

Wonder what they were saying about you now, not having seen you for yonks :).
    Same here haven't been on a bus in i don't know how long ! I've same memories of a smoke haze,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I like this photo.

418342.jpg

Exhibition of photos of Birmingham in the 70s and 80s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I like this photo.

Exhibition of photos of Birmingham in the 70s and 80s.

The Dude on the right looks about as cool as it's possible to be :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Dude on the right looks about as cool as it's possible to be :cool:

I'd say he was roasting in that coat to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

And the Mk I Cortina on the right. Loved those. Brings back memories of a happy sunny childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Interview with Henry Marsh, neurosurgeon and now writer:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/brain-surgeon-henry-marsh-you-have-to-have-a-big-ego-1.3093580

(Came up in the Helmet Megathread once or twice.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Interesting new bike-to-work scheme in Britain

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/2860/free2cycle-paying-for-your-bike-through-pedal-power
    Under the Free2Cycle scheme, employees are required to set a 'personal mileage pledge', and based upon the number they are offered a free bike of their choice, which is ordered to an authorised retailer and picked up by the employee.

A maximum value of £1,750 has been set for bikes funded by pedal power alone, but employees will be free to make an optional contribution that can lift the bike value to £2,750 - which is more than enough for a swish machine.

(It's not clear whether the mileage is on an honour system; I see Strava ads littering the page, but there's no reference that I can see in the article to how the mileage is calculated.)

And the Mk I Cortina on the right. Loved those. Brings back memories of a happy sunny childhood.

My bride and I were brought from the church to our wedding reception in a Mk1 Cortina.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'd say he was roasting in that coat to be honest.

If it keeps the heat in, it'll also keep the heat out!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My bride and I were brought from the church to our wedding reception in a Mk1 Cortina.

Cortina's never did it for me but there was a user on here many years ago who had a mk2 GT with two fart cannons on the back and it was awesome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cortina's never did it for me but there was a user on here many years ago who had a mk2 GT with two fart cannons on the back and it was awesome.

My dad had one, broke my heart when he sold it for a sensible family car. It took years to forgive him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cortina's never did it for me

Ford Capri, now that was the epitome of cool when I was 10 or so...

We had minis, morris minors, Fiat minafiori, Carinas, corollas, starlets when I was growing up..
    No great affection for any of them tbh

i used to love seeing the opel mantas up in donegal when we went up to visit my dad's family.

Ps anyone have an idea how much an post charge to post a chainset packed in a box???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ps anyone have an idea how much an post charge to post a chainset packed in a box???

Nope, but probably either 5.50 or 6.50 with Parcel Motel, I'd say the latter if it needs to be in the middle sized locker.

Plus it's insured up to 100 and registered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement