Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Absolutely wrecked, Slane yesterday was unreal even with the heavens open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

@RobFowl 12euro or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The canalside cycle path on the Grand Canal between Baggot Street and Rathmines is dotted with patches of broken glass, as if some clever person has carefully smashed a series of bottles and left them in the middle.

I was See It! Say It! -ing it today and someone stopped to chat; she said the broken glass had been there for about a fortnight.

If others see it, could they also report it? The patch I reported (as one of several) was coming towards Rathmines from The Barge.

Continuing a discussion on another thread about language used for injuries and worse for people riding bikes who get tangled up with motorised vehicles…

Two of this year's too-many-already deaths of people on bikes were genuine accidents - one was someone who dismounted from his bike, tripped backwards and hit his head; another was someone who was riding fast along a hard shoulder - a driver got into trouble and drew in to ask for help, the man on the bike didn't hear him calling and rode headfirst into his car while looking out for debris on the road.

So it's important not to write a description of a crash with language that blames either someone in a car or someone on a bike.

The traditional standard in Irish journalism, deliberately worded to avoid blame was to say that two/more vehicles were "involved in a collision". I always found this a bit silly back in the day, but am now beginning to see its sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Chuchote wrote: »
    The canalside cycle path on the Grand Canal between Baggot Street and Rathmines is dotted with patches of broken glass, as if some clever person has carefully smashed a series of bottles and left them in the middle.

I was See It! Say It! -ing it today and someone stopped to chat; she said the broken glass had been there for about a fortnight.

If others see it, could they also report it? The patch I reported (as one of several) was coming towards Rathmines from The Barge.

seen that sunday, assumed it was weekend, but still their on Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

The traditional standard in Irish journalism, deliberately worded to avoid blame was to say that two/more vehicles were "involved in a collision". I always found this a bit silly back in the day, but am now beginning to see its sense.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that as standard. The most common phrasing is that the "bike/cyclist collided with a car/vehicle/pedestrian/etc".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    The most common phrasing is that the "bike/cyclist collided with a car/vehicle/pedestrian/etc".
    .... and what did you collide with last week buffalo? Looks like the road may have taken a bit of a battering.....

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're seeing that as standard. The most common phrasing is that the "bike/cyclist collided with a car/vehicle/pedestrian/etc".

Sorry, I'm not being clear. What I mean is that "traditional standard" is what was taught to journalists in my day #creak. It was taught so that no one would be blamed by implication for a crash that could have been caused by either, neither or both.

On the other subject here - if anyone else who's seen broken glass on the Grand Canal cycle path would like to report it, this is where you can do it:

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/repair-road-or-footpath

Report in the Indo of the 54-year-old man badly hurt in Mayo:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cyclist-airlifted-to-hospital-in-critical-condition-after-road-crash-35768607.html
    Both the cyclist and the driver of the vehicle involved were travelling in the same direction, towards Killala, at the time of the collision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    .... and what did you collide with last week buffalo? Looks like the road may have taken a bit of a battering.....

The road collided with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has anyone seen the Official 2017 Tour de France Race Guide in shops in Ireland yet? I normally get it in Easons, but they seem to only ever get a limited supply, and it sells out pretty quickly. I haven't looked around yet myself; I'll probably check on Saturday.

tour_de_france_2017_670.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw it in easons in blanchardstown on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Got one in easons in enniskillen on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

i saw it in easons in blanchardstown on saturday.
    Gog one easing in enniskillen on saturday

Thanks lads, I'll head into town on Saturday and pick one up.

Hey ednwireland, go home you're drunk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

DBIoDXAXcAQcPLu.jpg

Got one in easons in enniskillen on saturday

They are in Easons in Dundrum too.

The ultimate fixie - Trocadero Velo, from France. Oh là là!

Bikes with separate action for front and back wheels. Pretty weird.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On topic for the off topic thread...but, is bee cycles still there in dolphins barn? road bike could do with a professional going over and he's always been my go to guy but it's been a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Still there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The ultimate fixie - Trocadero Velo, from France. Oh là là!

Not fixed. Rear wheel continues to spin when they stop pedalling?
    Only a front brake on a singlespeed?
    No foot retention?
    Look like ****in idiots trying to be different.

W?nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

^^^Once again; the answer to a question that has never been asked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd not realised there was a motocross track beside eastpoint business park until yesterday. do they ever open it to BMXers, or other unmotorised bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i'd not realised there was a motocross track beside eastpoint business park until yesterday. do they ever open it to BMXers, or other unmotorised bikes?
    Belongs to these guys;
    https://www.facebook.com/dublincitymx/

I'd be surprised if they ever "officially" allowed BMXers onto it. MX and BMX don't mix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

George Hook has invited Ciaran Cuffe and Owen Keegan to walk the Clontarf cycle path and see is it safe; Cuffe's agreed on condition that Hooky will cycle on the way back, and he's said ok, he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Those parents that complain are walking on cycle path while their kids are cycling, if it was just a kid cycling it would be fine, its the parent causing issue, some points of it are fine, others its quiet narrow, it certainly could be improved, but again its because of cars that the thing is where it is

Presumably the lads will stop and talk to people on bikes as they walk it.

• Advertisement

walk the Clontarf cycle path and see is it safe
    i assume you mean walk alongside it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement