Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i assume you mean walk alongside it?

It's not what I mean, it's what they mean that matters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just have a vision of george hook walking down the centre of the cycle path, dealing with (rightfully) annoyed cyclists, and drawing the 'see, i was right!' conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

First world problems and all that but things like this make me lose the will to live.

Did the printer not notice it? Did the person who placed the sticker on the bus not think it looked odd? Did the driver not spot it? And do the management team at Mathews not feel a bit silly?

IMG_2322_zps2ahgbbrl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the most egregious example of a signwriter going with 'this is the copy i was given and this is what i'll use' that i know (hard to read with the light conditions:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4490441,-6.3439716,3a,75y,129.56h,95.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj5Vty009ijUcoNhRqhvLOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

(to explain - the yellow strip above the sign for the white house reads 'Lift Your'e Right Foot')

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the most egregious example of a signwriter going with 'this is the copy i was given and this is what i'll use' that i know (hard to read with the light conditions:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4490441,-6.3439716,3a,75y,129.56h,95.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj5Vty009ijUcoNhRqhvLOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

(to explain - the yellow strip above the sign for the white house reads 'Lift Your'e Right Foot')
    Yes, that's been there for many years now. There another one at the entrance of an amusement place in the city centre which reads "It's not the hand your dealt but the way you play them".

• Advertisement

Yes, that's been there for many years now.
    yeah, they cut the hedge back a few years ago to make it easier to read.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

yeah, they cut the hedge back a few years ago to make it easier to read.

It does not make it easier to read

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I like this one, from Kilmainham Gaol, December 2011:

185870.jpg

Such an abundance of riches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pass this on the way home, always amuses me (and makes up for the recent demise of the "Soon Fatt" Chinese takeaway in Bray).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

loyatemu wrote: »
    pass this on the way home, always amuses me (and makes up for the recent demise of the "Soon Fatt" Chinese takeaway in Bray).
    Reminds me of Open All Hours.

• Advertisement

http://humantransit.org/2017/06/dublin-imagine-a-better-bus-network-design.html
    Today, the National Transport Authority of Ireland launched the planning process that will lead to a redesign of the bus network in Dublin. We are incredibly honored and excited to be their lead consultant on this effort. I explain the planning issues (for a Dublin audience) here.

Our project is part of BusConnects, which is a three-pronged effort to improve Dublin’s buses:

Network redesign (our project)
    Fare and ticketing improvements, for faster boarding/alighting and to ensure that the fare system does not discourage changing buses.
    Projects to improve bus speed and reliability throughout the city.

(some links in there when you go to the actual page).

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Dumoulin isn't going anywhere. Glad to see he's sticking with Sunweb, and glad to see that Sunweb are looking that far ahead as well.

Saw on Twitter today: can you add up all the numbers between 1 and 100 (inclusive) in your head? How long does it take you? (Hint: there's a handy shortcut.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Saw on Twitter today: can you add up all the numbers between 1 and 100 (inclusive) in your head? How long does it take you? (Hint: there's a handy shortcut.)

101 x 50 no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

(99+1) + (98+2) + .... + 50 + 100

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Diarmuid wrote: »
    (99+1) + (98+2) + .... + 50 + 100

you gave no actual answer. When I heard this 25+ years ago I copped the 99+1=100 98+2=100 -but without writing things down or overthinking I could not immediately think what happened around the 50 mark, so I could not give an answer straight off, but knew it was "easy" or trivial enough due to this fact.

Poster before you had what I consider the easier way to do it in your head, look at 101 rather than 100. Split them 1-50 and 51-100. The sums are 101 and 50 of them, so 5050.

Or just ask Quora, which says 5,050.

Yeah, that's it. Thought it was quite good.

The solution I saw involved bringing in zero to make the pairings a bit easier:
    100 + 0
    99 + 1
    98 + 2
    etc.
    Continue nibbling away at both ends of the number line until you're left with 50 in the middle; 50 pairs totalling 100 each, plus the last 50.

Reminds me a bit of this old one, about the fly buzzing back and forth between two boys approaching each other on bicycle:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080326064504AAOXZKj

(At least this one has bicycles in it, I suppose.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chuchote wrote: »
    Or just ask Quora.
    yeah, I know this utter idiot who still does crosswords, little does the fool know the answers will be out tomorrow. Imagine been so stupid as to waste time exercising your mind...
    Continue nibbling away at both ends of the number line until you're left with 50 in the middle; 50 pairs totalling 100 each, plus the last 50.
    I still think the "middle" bit is what throws people, and this is why if actually asked (with no googling or writing stuff down) it is rarer to hear the actual answer, but you might hear that people have copped onto the theory, and why it is apparently not as hard as it sounds.

Another interesting fact is that if the sum of a numbers digits is a mulitple of 9 then it is divisible by 9. e.g 22221 is 2+2+2+2+2+1=9 and so divisible by 9. 22221/9=2469

or 2222136=246904 (36 stuck on the end.)

stick 3 & 6 anywhere or order and it is still divisible

3622221/9=402469

2232261/9=248029

2623221/9=291469

with that trick you can get people to come up with numbers longer than a calculator can take, and spend a lot of time seemingly doing the maths in your head

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting video.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aa-roadwatch-releases-dramatic-footage-of-car-flipping-over-on-dublin-road-1.3103081

What struck me was:

1. I wonder whether the Gardai checked phone records for the driver?
    2. I wonder what would have happened to that pedestrian if she'd been a few metres back up the road?

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    yeah, I know this utter idiot who still does crosswords, little does the fool know the answers will be out tomorrow. Imagine been so stupid as to waste time exercising your mind...

Depends on the mind. Mine isn't capable of doing anything arithmetical.

For instance, the fly-and-bikes problem tomasrojo cites - I looked at that, and the people answering it agreed that the fly, because it's going 60mph for half an hour, must have flown 30 miles, and the boys on the bikes cycling towards each other at 10mph are nothing to do with it.

This completely baffles me, because surely if the boys are going slowly towards each other, and will meet in… umm, if they're going 10mph for an hour, they'll meet in… oh, God, is it 10 minutes? No, that can't be right… would you divide the 60 minutes in the hour by 10? No, that doesn't sound right either. Wait, wait, you have to know how far apart they are to know when they'll meet, and then… This is the point when tears start to my eyes and I hurry away, furtively wiping my face with a tissue.

Yup, that would be me. Funny thing is that the family divides into people who can't do arithmetic and people who are super-good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Chuchote wrote: »
    Funny thing is that the family divides into people who can't do arithmetic and people who are super-good at it.
    it's probably the people who are good at it who do the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The future of cycling fashion.......or just novel re-use of a pair of Sidis....?

Check out @HoracioMelvin's Tweet: https://twitter.com/HoracioMelvin/status/872222085657112577?s=09

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First tail wind of the year.

30kmph without pedalling, 40 with mild effort and 50 pushing at normal levels. My commute was 20% faster. Probably the last one of the year but it was fun while it lasted.

I had a reversible tailwind yesterday; behind me all the way to Ringsend, then behind me again almost all the way home along the Dodder. Bizarre but I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the point of the car driving ahead of the cyclist? Is it just drafting to get a faster time on a route? The cyclist seemed to know the route quite well as she bunny hopped a couple of large potholes. Not much time/distance to see them coming with the car so close.

Is it acceptable on a road such as this? It was causing tailbacks and as the photos show, was making some drivers overtake on a continuous white line.

bike_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looks like was motorpacing. If she'd been cycling without the car in front, she'd still need to be overtaken, so I'm not sure what the problem is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement