Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

was there a family friendly cycling event on today which would have passed down the side of the runway at dublin airport this morning?
    Presumably the Rescue 116 fundraiser which was on today around the airport.

https://www.gofundme.com/dublin-apfs-r116-charity-cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Go home June, You're drunk!

Seriously, sh1te weather. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone know if TMG Cycles (Skerries) has relocated. The shop closed over the weekend and there is a PP notice up regarding re-development but nothing to indicate a relocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Three or fourish things I don't need in this stressful world.

1. Mrs RS having daily near misses by cyclists bombing ped crossings.

2. People salmoning up the middle of the lane around a corner on Lincoln place.

3. Cyclists treating pedestrians as obstacles in general i.e. doing exactly the same thing that we hate cars doing.

4. Cyclists shouting at slow pedestrians to "get off the road"

4. General Mé Feinerism in everything, everywhere.

The level of total disregard for others is increasingly toxic.

And there'll never be enough enforcement to fix it, we need a massive rethink of how infrastructure drives behaviour.

Like dual carriageway layouts that signal drivers subconscious that they should be going at motorway speeds, or cycle lanes that tell drivers that cyclists should be getting out of their way.

Or junctions that throw cyclists and pedestrians together at random in a race to the bottom mé fein olympics.

Cars being described as safe when they are by far the most lethal form of transport (before you count our obesity death cult culture.)

And trolls like George Hook should be forced to attend the inquest of every cyclist or pedestrian, or driver or passenger killed y behaviour that they encourage.
    [/rant]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

3. Cyclists treating pedestrians as obstacles in general i.e. doing exactly the same thing that we hate cars doing.

And there'll never be enough enforcement to fix it, we need a massive rethink of how infrastructure drives behaviour.

Like dual carriageway layouts that signal drivers subconscious that they should be going at motorway speeds, or cycle lanes that tell drivers that cyclists should be getting out of their way.

Or junctions that throw cyclists and pedestrians together at random in a race to the bottom mé fein olympics.

Cars being described as safe when they are by far the most lethal form of transport (before you count our obesity death cult culture.)

And trolls like George Hook should be forced to attend the inquest of every cyclist or pedestrian, or driver or passenger killed y behaviour that they encourage.
    [/rant]

Move to Munich?

Avoid holidays in Sicily, Ukraine & Africa

We are hardwired to be selfish, once you get that life is simpler and calmer. Altruism is a mirage

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I we should reintroduce birching. Anyone who can't behave like an adult gets publicly thrashed like a bold child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ford2600 wrote: »
    Move to Munich?

Avoid holidays in Sicily, Ukraine & Africa

We are hardwired to be selfish, once you get that life is simpler and calmer. Altruism is a mirage

I'd like a source to prove this. Otherwise it's pop science.

There's growing science data to show that we are born empathetic and more importantly, our environment and experiences effect plasticity.

A mirage is a optical effect, altruism an abstract. You want to be a hard ass cynic about stuff, fine, but that level of negativity adds to the same poor environment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There's growing science data to show that we are born empathetic and more importantly, our environment and experiences effect plasticity.

A mirage is a optical effect, altruism an abstract. You want to be a hard ass cynic about stuff, fine, but that level of negativity adds to the same poor environment.

Agreed, while some people are not, in the majority we are, it is hugely beneficial to our survival. This can change over time and can be absent in some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It's a long way from pop science, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus in scientific community from what I've read.

article/game-theory-calls-cooperation-into-question1/

Good article, you'll get links to read up on both sides from it.

Richard Dawkin's "Selfish gene", is interesting if very dry. Plenty dissenting voices also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

accepting the concept of 'the selfish gene' is not the same as accepting 'humans are selfish'; a gene being selfish could lead to altruistic behaviour.

though everyday definitions of altruism and selfishness can muddy the waters. you can be altruistic and at the same time act within your own interests, which raises the question regarding motives. still, i'm going to stick with the approach while out on the bike that motorists are not acting in my self interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

On a lighter note: just riding in the woods

https://www.facebook.com/FailDownhill/videos/2307991869425289

(NSFW)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't think or accept that we are hard wired to be selfish. We are hard wired to employ self preservation perhaps, to enact our survival instinct whenever required but that's not the same as being selfish.

No increasingly, societal, cultural, environmental (whatever you wish to call them), have allowed selfishness to be tolerated across the board. The old class divisions are blurred, but we have more inequality than ever. It's justified with whataboutery and nonsense. Our government for the most part does not serve it's people. Our public servants are such because it's either A) a guaranteed wage, pensioned, security, or B) it's a very good wage for limited amoutns of work. There are fewer going in because they want to actually serve a public good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking at someone married to a public servant, i can tell you it's frequently 'the system' that's to blame rather than the people.
    something david simon was talking about in a recent interview i read, must find a link for it.

speaking at someone married to a public servant, i can tell you it's frequently 'the system' that's to blame rather than the people.
    something david simon was talking about in a recent interview i read, must find a link for it.

I don't mean to bash or paint all civil servants there with the one brush. I know full well the system is a mess, and there are plenty of excellent staff.

It's just the scramble for jobs or places on panels is more and more about just getting on that ladder and sticking it out

my biggest issue is the way they treat staff as completely homogenous interchangable units. you can be transferred from one job to another simply because you meet the required grade, with little analysis of what your actual talents are. i've heard of some choice changes of job where my wife works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on cloud based storage solutions. Can anyone advise what would be a good idea for a small business with only a few users for storage, sharing, etc?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

[...]
    [/rant]

It's a minority complaint, but I don't like people on those weird short bikes that have no cargo box in the middle trying to pass me with 1cm clearance and then swinging in front of me just before they collide with the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice on cloud based storage solutions. Can anyone advise what would be a good idea for a small business with only a few users for storage, sharing, etc?
    Dropbox. More reliable than Google Drive. Or Box, if you want it in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I find most people (including drivers) pretty nice. Drivers can be thoughtless, usually because they're shut in a box alone with their own worries, and if you get out of their way and motion you on they don't really realise that it's a human who's kindly done this; but in general I don't find that most people are terribly selfish. Most are living within society and swimming in shoals; it's the exceptions we notice.

But getting back to the radio jocks, hell, don't just make them go to the inquest; make them go to the post mortem too, and explain what they said to the lovers and family and friends of the killed.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Possibly Office 365 as it will have OneDrive access, mail, office suite, collaboration things like Yammer. Etc

ford2600 wrote: »
    It's a long way from pop science, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus in scientific community from what I've read.

article/game-theory-calls-cooperation-into-question1/

Good article, you'll get links to read up on both sides from it.

Richard Dawkin's "Selfish gene", is interesting if very dry. Plenty dissenting voices also.

Jesus man, you say it's far from pop science then you refer me to that gob****e

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    Dropbox. More reliable than Google Drive. Or Box, if you want it in the EU.

Depends to an extent on your storage requirements and applications. I've a Dropbox plus account to share and exchange big data with clients but use FTP on a hosted web-server for my main online storage as it works out far cheaper if you need > 1 terabyte. I use midphase for the FTP side which costs me ~€60 per year for unlimited storage and a dedicated IP address, and the Dropbox is another €100 per year for 1TB.

Jesus man, you say it's far from pop science then you refer me to that gob****e

I've never read The Selfish Gene, because I also dislike Richard Dawkins, or at least his public persona.

However, my understanding is that the scientific notion he was explaining in that book (and it's not a theory he originated) is not that people are selfish, but that paradoxical behaviour by individuals of a species can often be explained by thinking about how that behaviour ensures the propagation of genes carried by that individual. So certain types of altruism and heroism can be explained, as well as some less exalted behaviour. In particular (as far as I recall), close family members going out of their way to save or raise other family members, even to the point of self-sacrifice, can ensure the propagation of the genes of the altruistic actor, even if it doesn't help them to reproduce, or even brings their reproductive career to an abrupt end, because they share so many genes with the close family member they save or nurture.

I think in more technical terms the idea is that evolutionary pressure is exerted at the level of the gene, and not the individual (or at least more at the level of the gene).

I've no idea whether it's true, but The Selfish Gene as a title is very eye-catching but ultimately can be misleading, as Dawkins acknowledged more recently. Obviously, genes have no motivations or ideations, so they're not in any sense "selfish".

tomasrojo wrote: »

I've no idea whether it's true, but The Selfish Gene as a title is very eye-catching but ultimately can be misleading, as Dawkins acknowledged more recently. Obviously, genes have no motivations or ideations, so they're not in any sense "selfish".

Yeah, he acknowledges after making a fortune from the sales. If he were principled in any form, as the seeker of "truth" as he likes to put it, he would have recognised the misleading nature of the title. It's attention grabbing, he's a shill and another player in the current group "Cult of Personality" intelligentsia, whether they want to be a member or not (thinking others like Chomsky and Zizek) whom the "unthinking left" like to follow without questions. Easier to take their comments onboard and claim them to be gospel than read the original philosophical/scientific works.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Yeah, he acknowledges after making a fortune from the sales. If he were principled in any form, as the seeker of "truth" as he likes to put it, he would have recognised the misleading nature of the title. It's attention grabbing, he's a shill ...

WTF are you lads smoking? You sound like you're writing copy for a conspiracy website.

The book was published in 1976. It was groundbreaking at the time, and still is an amazing introduction to the topic. The man's done more than his fair share for science and research. You seriously reckon he should have put out a publisher's note with it saying, 'I wish, with precocious foresight, to blunt the elegance of the central conceit of this book by explaining in a deadening way that I don't mean that humanity is inherently selfish or should be guided by selfishness'?

A more recent quote: "What we need is an anti-Darwinian society. Anti-Darwinian in the sense that we don't wish to live in a society where the weakest go to the wall, where the strong suppress the weak."

oflahero wrote: »
    WTF are you lads smoking? You sound like you're writing copy for a conspiracy website.

Not sure whether that's directed at me, but I didn't actually criticise the work itself (I haven't read it). I just said I don't like his public persona, which is neatly satirised here.

It's scarcely even an exaggeration.

You seriously reckon he should have put out a publisher's note with it saying, 'I wish, with precocious foresight, to blunt the elegance of the central conceit of this book by explaining in a deadening way that I don't mean that humanity is inherently selfish or should be guided by selfishness'?

If fact, to be fair to him, the latest introduction to the book (which I have read) pretty much does that.

WTF are you lads smoking?

Clearly something with less potency than you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Cloud services for process and workflow might be a good idea - Zoho and Asana are free options for small number of users. I'm nearly sure Autotask offer free subscriptions for up to 10 users with a cap on file storage.

You could use those free resources in conjunction with Dropbox - great for a small company starting out. Or up, in modern parlance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Clearly something with less potency than you are.

'Shill'. Lolzers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement