Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

oflahero wrote: »
    'Shill'. Lolzers!

"The man's done more than his fair share for science and research." Lolzers! In Zoology, yes, 30-40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

How come we don't have boards mini league for the tour de suisse . I'm flipping 30th overall !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Can't believe Leo has left Shane Ross as Minister for Transport.

We'll never get anywhere now........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess the alternative was call an election and risk becoming the shortest-serving Taoiseach of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

call a snap election? sure what could go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Ross has succeeded in getting Stepaside Garda Station reopened, something that will help to secure his seat if he goes for re-election.

With that in mind, perhaps he can now focus on his brief as Minister for Transport and actually get something done. We have to keep the pressure on him regarding cycling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Moflojo wrote: »
    Ross has succeeded in getting Stepaside Garda Station reopened, something that will help to secure his seat if he goes for re-election.

With that in mind, perhaps he can now focus on his brief as Minister for Transport and actually get something done. We have to keep the pressure on him regarding cycling though.

stepside reopening was needed, and local politics will always take over im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Give or take, how much would you be expecting to pay for a schwalbe tyre in an LBS on a road bike? Was quoted 70 for the lesser quality and 90 for the better quality more kevlar reinforcement tyre. Is this out of the ordinary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I read that wheels with lighter rims take a lot of the weight off a heavy old bike. How much, and what are these wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

VW 1 wrote: »
    Give or take, how much would you be expecting to pay for a schwalbe tyre in an LBS on a road bike? Was quoted 70 for the lesser quality and 90 for the better quality more kevlar reinforcement tyre. Is this out of the ordinary?

Sounds a lot, this is just for 1 right? do you know the model, marathon plus by any chance.

I found the cheapest place for schwalbe tyres was from german sites.

I got 2 for €52 including delivery which was €10, these are big yokes too €29.50 each on CRC and that is 59% off

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-super-moto-x-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod128889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chuchote wrote: »
    How much, and what are these wheels?
    Standard 700c aluminium clinchers:
    https://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperClinch%20SP.html

Though they have put on 100g in weight in 5 years.

Idleater wrote: »
    Standard 700c aluminium clinchers:
    https://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperClinch%20SP.html

Though they have put on 100g in weight in 5 years.

Thanks, Idleater. Iggerant as I am, what is the difference in weight between these and my clunky old wheels from the 1990s or so? (And I can't see a price?)

My apologies, that is the price for two tyres.

Doesn't sound too far off then considering the mark up for buying local and that the need was urgent. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't way over the odds.

Not certain on what exact model it is of the new tyre though!

Thanks, Idleater. Iggerant as I am, what is the difference in weight between these and my clunky old wheels from the 1990s or so?

400g+ per wheel??? no idea really. The rotational weight is what you are reducing:
    https://www.wired.com/2016/06/cycling-physics-extra-mass-bike-wheels-enemy/

Ah, thanks. How do I find the price? I clicked through to the buying page but can't see them, but can see some wheels for thousands :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

VW 1 wrote: »
    My apologies, that is the price for two tyres.
    Ok, not so bad so. The marathon plus (very popular) are €45 each in cyclesuperstore and €30 on CRC with 33% off.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544

It would appear to be that schwalbe put high RRPs on stuff and likely lower wholesale prices, so that shops can afford to give large discounts while the LBS can appear to be not be screwing you, but charging just the RRP.

Nearly all their tyres have high % knocked on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe?keywordRedirectTerm=schwalbe&_requestid=865569

This is the german site I used

https://www.bike-mailorder.de/search?sSearch=Schwalbe+

Thank you kindly for the info, unfortunately my tyre needed immediate replacement had to go with the LBS.

Ah, thanks. How do I find the price? I clicked through to the buying page but can't see them, but can see some wheels for thousands :eek:

About a thousand is correct. I am not sure if you are serious in looking, I just just answered the original question. Cost, weight, reliability, pick two.

Idleater wrote: »
    About a thousand is correct. I am not sure if you are serious in looking, I just just answered the original question. Cost, weight, reliability, pick two.

Well, I was serious, thinking of making my functional bike more functional, but that price makes me non-serious. Thanks for your help.

I enjoyed this article about the 70s bicycle boom and the Counter Culture:
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/16/pedal-ins-patchouli-bikeology-americas-forgotten-1970s-cycle-boom
    In Washington DC, there was a young Post staff reporter called Carl Bernstein – later to become half of the Pulitzer Prize-winning pair – known as the “office hippie” and a “long-haired freak who rode a bicycle …”

The movie "Dick" has some fun with his love of cycling.

• Advertisement

Well, I was serious, thinking of making my functional bike more functional, but that price makes me non-serious. Thanks for your help.

To be fair, there are cheaper. Is your functional bike a racer or town bike? Based on that you might want to spawn a dedicated thread to get more sensible responses than mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If your bike takes normal road wheels, something like Fulcrum 7, Mavic Aksium, or Campag Khamsin will make for a decent upgrade on cheap stock wheels without breaking the bank. If you give us an idea of your budget, tyre size and whether you're using disk or rim brakes I'm sure people will come up with better options.

It's an old Dawes. If I could get a reliable and cheap-to-run bike tracker I'd give it away (have a destination) and use my 'good' bike as functional bike, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

My Twitter has been heaving for the last few days with messages from the Velo-City conference in Arnhem-Nijmegen (note to self: follower fewer bike nerds), but these two from the closing ceremony might be of interest here, in light of recent discussions re the Liffey etc. I presume our Lord Mayor is there to accept the cycling version of the Olympic torch, as Velo-City is in Dublin in 2019.
    Lord Mayor Brendan Carr of Ireland: "Cycling is a form of acces, not of speed. That was an eyeopener to me". #vc17 #vc2017
    https://twitter.com/Velocity2017/status/875692922179641344
    "I fell in love with an e-bike today." :-) Lord Mayor Brendan Carr. #vc17 #vc2017
    https://twitter.com/Velocity2017/status/875693980708728832

You might say that he had to go to the conference, so his presence there isn't particularly remarkable. But bear in mind that today is Bloomsday, so if he had wanted to stay in Dublin and send a deputy to The Netherlands, his absence could have been easily justified. Credit where credit is due, I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's an old Dawes. If I could get a reliable and cheap-to-run bike tracker I'd give it away (have a destination) and use my 'good' bike as functional bike, though.

Questionable spending money on a bike you don't sound so keen on. For a hybrid I wanted to jazz up a bit, I'd probably go with Khamsin CX wheels as they're suitable for wider tyres. You'd need to check whether the cassette you've got would work or need changing too, they're listed as supporting 9/10/11 speed cassettes and its possible the Dawes is 7 or 8 speed and might need a spacer. For a cheap and cheerful option, Rose have a set of trekking wheels with Mavic Rims and Deore hubs at €107 suitable for 7/8/9/10 speed cassette, 2.5kg for the pair versus 1.75kg for the Khamsins. What tyres are you currently running? If your current wheels run reasonably well and you've heavy tyres, a cheaper and simpler option would be just replacing the tyres. Something like Marathon supreme roll well, don't weigh much, and are reasonably puncture resistant.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Credit where credit is due, I guess.

Indeed, if I may quote his Jesusness: likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

So not only have I bored myself living a good and just life, now I discover that I have deprived the gods of joy?

Aah, fiddlesticks!

smacl wrote: »
    Questionable spending money on a bike you don't sound so keen on. For a hybrid I wanted to jazz up a bit, I'd probably go with Khamsin CX wheels as they're suitable for wider tyres. You'd need to check whether the cassette you've got would work or need changing too, they're listed as supporting 9/10/11 speed cassettes and its possible the Dawes is 7 or 8 speed and might need a spacer. For a cheap and cheerful option, Rose have a set of trekking wheels with Mavic Rims and Deore hubs at €107 suitable for 7/8/9/10 speed cassette, 2.5kg for the pair versus 1.75kg for the Khamsins. What tyres are you currently running? If your current wheels run reasonably well and you've heavy tyres, a cheaper and simpler option would be just replacing the tyres. Something like Marathon supreme roll well, don't weigh much, and are reasonably puncture resistant.

Marathon tyre on the back, not sure on the front.

Yeah, I'm not that gone on this bike; its main value to me is that no one in their right mind would bother stealing it. If a decent SigFox bike tracker were available I'd hand it on gladly and turn my 'good' bike into both good and functional.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    So not only have I bored myself living a good and just life, now I discover that I have deprived the gods of joy?

Aah, fiddlesticks!
    Does seem a bit unfair on the just, doesn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

To lose one KOM on a Friday night is unfortunate, to lose two is just careless! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement