Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've come down with a bizarre longing for a Brompton recently.. am I going mad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chuchote wrote: »
    Marathon tyre on the back, not sure on the front.

No all Marathons are equal, you'll notice that the Marathon Supreme weighs less than half (440g vs 900g) that of the Marathon plus at the same width of 37mm. I run the 32mm versions on my cross and hybrid bikes which come out lighter still at 380g per tyre, and find them robust. grippy and roll well. Downside is they're expensive, and I reckon you could get something comparable a good bit cheaper. Either way, for my money the best cost effective upgrade for an old hybrid is tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

smacl wrote: »
    Downside is they're expensive, and I reckon you could get something comparable a good bit cheaper.
    When determining the value people should take into account that they last a lot longer. My marathon plus lasted ages. A colleague also had them and was asking me if they looked worn out as they were used to replacing them much sooner, they looked totally fine.

On schwalbes site they had expected mileage and the marathon plus were way higher than some of their standard tyres.

Think I had mine 2 years with not a single puncture, savings on tubes, patches and time spent changing/repairing tubes is also a big factor for me, and in effect makes them "cheaper".

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_wear
    As a general guide, you can expect a tire mileage of 2000 to 5000 km from Schwalbe standard tires. The tires of the Marathon family usually last between 6000 and 12000 km. With the light Marathon Racer and Marathon Supreme, the performance is a little lower (approx. 5000 to 9000 km). The Marathon Plus is outstanding with its extremely high mileage of often much more than 10000 km.

They might be heavier but on most trips I no longer bothered to carry tubes & pump & levers as I was so confident that I would not get a puncture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

rubadub wrote: »
    They might be heavier but on most trips I no longer bothered to carry tubes & pump & levers as I was so confident that I would not get a puncture.

Horses for courses really, the Marathon plus is the ideal tyre (short of a solid tyre) if you want to absolutely minimise the possibility of punctures. I put them on my kids bikes for this reason, as fixing a puncture roadside is not something they could currently manage. That said, for someone that can change a very occasional puncture and is doing bigger distances on the road, the Marathon Supreme is a far superior option, and most leisure riders would think of tyres as consumables much like chains, cassettes and brake pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Miklos wrote: »

I got one about eight years ago. I love it very much. God bless its tiny wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I got one about eight years ago. I love it very much. God bless its tiny wheels.

Pedalophile!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

No ice-cream van at the viewing point today :eek::(. What was he thinking??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm18 wrote: »
    No ice-cream van at the viewing point today :eek::(. What was he thinking??
    I'd say he went to one of the beaches instead.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'd say he went to one of the beaches instead.

He should have consulted with me first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    My Twitter has been heaving for the last few days with messages from the Velo-City conference in Arnhem-Nijmegen (note to self: follower fewer bike nerds), but these two from the closing ceremony might be of interest here, in light of recent discussions re the Liffey etc. I presume our Lord Mayor is there to accept the cycling version of the Olympic torch, as Velo-City is in Dublin in 2019.

https://twitter.com/Velocity2017/status/875692922179641344

https://twitter.com/Velocity2017/status/875693980708728832

Not entirely sure he understood everything he saw in the Netherlands.
    Dublin City Council press release said: “The Lord Mayor of Dublin Brendan Carr has announced that he is considering asking Dubliners to vote on whether people with disabilities should be allowed use cycle lanes in the city. This is prompted by the increasing number of pavement obstacles that people with visual and mobility disabilities have to navigate in Dublin City on a daily basis.”
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/17/hold-vote-to-allow-visual-impaired-people-to-use-dublins-cycle-lanes-says-lord-mayor/

The irishcycle.com article goes on to consider why this is a pretty odd thing to ask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that is just bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Blind people with white sticks feeling their way along cycle lanes and into the vans and parked cars… sweet suffering…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he *was* in the netherlands recently, yeah? amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that might explain it so, many people come up with mindblowingly "brilliant revelations/ideas" after a night out there. Usually when they wake up they see the errors of their ways and realise how laughably ridiculous their ideas were though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    So not only have I bored myself living a good and just life, now I discover that I have deprived the gods of joy?

Aah, fiddlesticks!
    If they exist, the only way to consider my life true and just would be to deprive them of all that I can.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Does seem a bit unfair on the just, doesn't it!
    I don't remember why I quoted this post.
    No, wanting a bicycle is the most natural thing in the world. We all have different tastes, should anyone judge for yours, than they are lesser than you. What you wantbis your choice to make.

:):):):):):p:pac::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

How could you not want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

That's it then, a Brompton is next on the list. After an aero race bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was stopped in traffic on the quays on Saturday morning, my neighbour who happens to be a taxi driver was stopped beside me, so I was leaning on his car chatting in the window when a taxi driver behind obviously assumed we were having a row and with no idea of what was going on berated me, saying I was just another cyclist know it all causing trouble and that I shouldn't get in his way cos he wouldn't think twice.... It's worse it's getting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Heading out for a spin in 10 mins, need help as can't decide whether to go

MTB?
    or
    Road on old steel?

• Advertisement

I was stopped in traffic on the quays on Saturday morning, my neighbour who happens to be a taxi driver was stopped beside me, so I was leaning on his car chatting in the window when a taxi driver behind obviously assumed we were having a row and with no idea of what was going on berated me, saying I was just another cyclist know it all causing trouble and that I shouldn't get in his way cos he wouldn't think twice.... It's worse it's getting

I hope your neighbour got out and told him where to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Chuchote wrote: »
    I hope your neighbour got out and told him where to get off.

He had a passenger on board, we laughed. I pointed at my mouth with my middle finger to point out my laughing, this only enraged him further, obviously he doesn't like people who smile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    Heading out for a spin in 10 mins, need help as can't decide whether to go

MTB?
    or
    Road on old steel?

Road on old steel. While the weather is still good!

Sorry Weepsie had to go off road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

One of the lads in work got wiped out by a car that darted into the bus lane on top of him this morning. Driver was trying to beat the queue of traffic and simply didn't look before pulling out (or maybe was only looking for a bus?).

Taken to hospital by ambulance and checked out - thankfully nothing broken but I'd say he'll be feeling the effects of it tomorrow. Helmet was trashed. Gardai took his bike to the station for him so not sure how that fared yet.

Stay safe out there folks.

One of the lads in work got wiped out by a car that darted into the bus lane on top of him this morning. Driver was trying to beat the queue of traffic and simply didn't look before pulling out (or maybe was only looking for a bus?).

Taken to hospital by ambulance and checked out - thankfully nothing broken but I'd say he'll be feeling the effects of it tomorrow. Helmet was trashed. Gardai took his bike to the station for him so not sure how that fared yet.

Stay safe out there folks.

Driver should get a ban.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sorry Weepsie had to go off road :)

Given all the near misses, and Rogue-Trooper's colleague, possibly a wise idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hottest day of the year my arse, half-drownded on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

No mudguard+forgetting spare underwear = drying knickers under the hand dryer in the wheelchair accessible toilet in work at 7.30 this morning.

It was a low point!

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Driver should get a ban.

Since 8,000 people are driving around while banned, driver should have car taken away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement