Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    Hottest day of the year my arse, half-drownded on the way in.
    i decided to work from home today. looked out the window when i got up, did not expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Vel wrote: »
    No mudguard+forgetting spare underwear = drying knickers under the hand dryer in the wheelchair accessible toilet in work at 7.30 this morning.

It was a low point!

kbzvjl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I notice a constant when I'm going down the keys from Islandbridge towards the IFSC that cars will zip left into the bus lane on a whim.

It's also a constant cause of my being overtaken by other cyclists who don't comprehend the need to be wary of this happening.

Saw two near misses because of this on Monday mornning alone, you need to modulate your speed in order to allow yourself time to assess the risks ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    Hottest day of the year my arse, half-drownded on the way in.

It's roasting out now. This evening's race should be a right sweat fest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

You racing young man? See you there....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

speaking at someone married to a public servant, i can tell you it's frequently 'the system' that's to blame rather than the people.
    something david simon was talking about in a recent interview i read, must find a link for it.
    Its a mixture, as a cuivil servant, the system is broken but thena again, some of the people like that it is broken.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't mean to bash or paint all civil servants there with the one brush. I know full well the system is a mess, and there are plenty of excellent staff.

It's just the scramble for jobs or places on panels is more and more about just getting on that ladder and sticking it out
    Very much so, I have sat on several interview panels and the same names come up for many of them even though they really are not the same job or barely related.
    Vel wrote: »
    No mudguard+forgetting spare underwear = drying knickers under the hand dryer in the wheelchair accessible toilet in work at 7.30 this morning.

It was a low point!
    I sat under the hairdryer this morning drying the sweat of me. I felt so classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    You racing young man? See you there....

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    In all seriousness, carry stupid amounts of water, most of it for spraying on your head. Went out for a run this afternoon and my body just couldn't cool down until I stopped, it's insanely humid out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    In all seriousness, carry stupid amounts of water, most of it for spraying on your head. Went out for a run this afternoon and my body just couldn't cool down until I stopped, it's insanely humid out there.

Had a run yesterday afternoon, used chasing the dogs with the hose as an excuse to get wet and cool afterwards, and then I couldn't get the shower cold enough, right at the minimum was too warm for how I was feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I know when you say running you meant to say cycling and misspelled or something.

Must be the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I know when you say running you meant to say cycling and misspelled or something.

Must be the heat.

Probably just jumped in a pool to cool down :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know what it is about dublin port, but in the last month on my commute, i've seen four examples of drivers deliberately driving through red lights which have been red for more than 10 or 20 seconds, and all were between the clontarf end of alfie byrne road, and where east wall road meets the port road.
    this morning, waiting at the lights to turn right off east wall down towards the east link (both left turn and right turn lights facing us are red), a car cut down the left turning lane, straight through the red, and took a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

i don't know what it is about dublin port, but in the last month on my commute, i've seen four examples of drivers deliberately driving through red lights which have been red for more than 10 or 20 seconds, and all were between the clontarf end of alfie byrne road, and where east wall road meets the port road.
    this morning, waiting at the lights to turn right off east wall down towards the east link (both left turn and right turn lights facing us are red), a car cut down the left turning lane, straight through the red, and took a right.

The docks area has gone mental with RLJ. The lights at te top of east wall road really need cameras to catch it.

Other recent incidents I've seen in the area are:
    On June 4th I was driving from the tunnel towards the east link and a truck towing a Guinness tanker turned right to Alexandria road across the lane I was in. Both cars in the two lanes in front had to slam on the brakes. Our direction had te green light and had been green as far as I saw, so it wasn't a case as if the truck was just a little late going through a red. Scared the life out of me and I don't know how a crash was avoided.

Then on June 18th at the same junction I was heading the same direction and came across a crash.....involving a truck with a Guinness trailer. It and the car that it was in a collision with were heading towards the east link. The car was fully in the right lane to turn into Sherriff St Upper and the truck was half in the same lane and the lane to the left. Obviously I don't know what happened in the lead up.

The roads are getting worse and enforcement is so badly needed. Inthibk it has to be down to pure luck that the death toll on the roads is not far higher than it is.

Funny right now I'm listening to Radio 1 now and they are taking to American tourists and they are complaining about taxis being crazy drivers in Irish cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Taken from Broadsheet. This is this morning

clontarf.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/06/22/a-lane-again-naturally/

I'd gladly do a slow motion, theatrical fall onto his bonnet to see how irate he gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Really the simple solution would be a set of sharp caltrops at each traffic light, which would pop up when the lights turn red.

Taken from Broadsheet. This is this morning

clontarf.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/06/22/a-lane-again-naturally/

I'd gladly do a slow motion, theatrical fall onto his bonnet to see how irate he gets

I can't understand why the numbers are always blurred out, given that it's now normal (if not correct) practice to show people's faces in all kinds of circumstances that wouldn't have formerly been allowed in newspaper photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Same with the truck that reversed whole way up the bike lane at Charlemont this morning, no need at all, construction constantly obstructing the lanes over past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Same with the truck that reversed whole way up the bike lane at Charlemont this morning, no need at all, construction constantly obstructing the lanes over past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is why we can't have nice things! Though I'm hardly surprised, it is a Taxi driver after all!

Between the new cycle lane in the Phoenix park being used as a parking area, and the new cycle lane being used as a Taxi rank, I give f'ing up!!

I would have stayed there and called the Gards to say there's a car causing a dangerous obstruction!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having no faith in the hope that the Gardai might be fixed any time soon maybe its time to reform the taxi regulator / carriage office? Three strikes and your plate is gone anyone?

• Advertisement

Bus driver beeps and does a close pass on a cyclist, but he gets his revenge! :eek:

Not to be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Bus driver beeps and does a close pass on a cyclist, but he gets his revenge! :eek:...
    Brilliant! :D

(PS - is he carrying a track pump across the bars?)

What does he do to the oil inlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Chuchote wrote: »
    What does he do to the oil inlet?
    He presses the emergency engine kill switch.

what's required to restart the engine after that? does it just stop the engine, or also actually disable it in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kids used to do that in the 80s to Dublin Buses, flip the switch that was at the side of the buses when it stopped at a stop. The driver had to get out of the bus to re-enable it again.

what's required to restart the engine after that? does it just stop the engine, or also actually disable it in any way?

Driver has to get out and reset the switch, as these London busses are Electric/Diesel hybrids they all have the switch I believe...

(Not sure about the Diesel Dublin busses, I guess they have them also but maybe higher up?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bit of a dick move, the passengers didn't do anything to him. Still funny though :pac:

• Advertisement

Bit of a dick move, the passengers didn't do anything to him. Still funny though :pac:

Yea true, delayed the passengers, but the bus driver still has to explain it to his dispatcher... "yea i beeped a cyclist out of it and he hit the kill switch..."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement