Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OK, i'm shoehorning this in under the guise of road safety, but this line stuck out:
    "civil and criminal proceedings cannot be taken against the Sovereign as a person under UK law"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/queen-reported-to-police-for-not-wearing-a-seatbelt-1.3130805

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Currently on BT Sport - "Four Falls of Buffalo"

Was expecting some cycling "highlights", maybe even the Ras:(

:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tempted, so tempted.....

Would need to rename it though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have a mongoose bmx that I picked up at an auction that ya can have for handy money too. All new press in barings are done :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I have a mongoose bmx that I picked up at an auction that ya can have for handy money too. All new press in barings are done :pac:

I'd much rather see Beasty do it on a track bike :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Consultation on clamping

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/consultation-draft-vehicle-clamping-signage-regulations-2017/

Perhaps the point should be made that the amount of clamping being done is completely inadequate? Rathmines Road is so constantly parked on - clearways, bike lanes during operating hours, etc - the clampers seem to concentrate on town, and on specific streets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was in the rediscovery centre in ballymun recently - they had these on display, made from old bike tyres.
    420699.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Never knew they were still being made. Was buying my daughter a new bike today and took a spin on a Chopper. Feic it was awkward to get used to with the monkey bars. I still have the craving to pick myself up a BMX but my wife was with me and even the suggestion of a new bike was met with disdain, especially since my two existing ones are still in storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Consultation on clamping

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/consultation-draft-vehicle-clamping-signage-regulations-2017/

Perhaps the point should be made that the amount of clamping being done is completely inadequate? Rathmines Road is so constantly parked on - clearways, bike lanes during operating hours, etc - the clampers seem to concentrate on town, and on specific streets.

I never understood clamping for cars causing an obstruction. Works fine for people over-staying their parking (if you don't mind losing out potential revenue for that spot), but clamping a car in a bike lane? Should be just towed as soon as possible, get it out of the way.

€80/€100 can be a pittance to some people, where spending half a day getting to the pound is a whole lot more inconvenient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm with you on this. That and some of the clampers are completely predatory. They literally wait near a couple of cars in the hope the owners are not coming back.

a boardsie who I won't name got stung over about 3 minutes when. There should be some type of leeway for the unexpected.

That and clamping vans are quite often illegally parked or causing obstructions themselves

Should be banned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. That and some of the clampers are completely predatory. They literally wait near a couple of cars in the hope the owners are not coming back.

a boardsie who I won't name got stung over about 3 minutes when. There should be some type of leeway for the unexpected.

That and clamping vans are quite often illegally parked or causing obstructions themselves

Should be banned.

There is typically a 15 minute leeway in most council jurisdictions. Had a discussion with the warden in Dun Laoghaire about this, and he did not know this.

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is typically a 15 minute leeway in most council jurisdictions. Had a discussion with the warden in Dun Laoghaire about this, and he did not know this.

Only of the car is parked in a designated spot. No leeway on yellow lines, loading bays etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

If the warden doesn't know, is there really any leeway? Or is it just a myth?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Only of the car is parked in a designated spot. No leeway on yellow lines, loading bays etc etc
    And their shouldn't be, parking on double yellow lines is parking illegally. There should be no excuses or allowances. Just don't do it.
    buffalo wrote: »
    If the warden doesn't know, is there really any leeway? Or is it just a myth?

Definitely in DLRCC, they have it on their website, Dublin city is either 10 or 15. Not sure about anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

buffalo wrote: »
    I never understood clamping for cars causing an obstruction. Works fine for people over-staying their parking (if you don't mind losing out potential revenue for that spot), but clamping a car in a bike lane? Should be just towed as soon as possible, get it out of the way.
    The theory on clamping is fine. You're making it troublesome and irritating for people who park illegally.

But studies have apparently shown that as a deterrent, it actually doesn't prevent unpaid or illegal parking - the majority of the offenders are short-term parkers, people just running in to get something. So unless they're unlucky enough for a clamper to pass at that time, they don't get clamped.
    People planning longer parking (hours+), pay their parking.

And clamping doesn't really change this behaviour - a traffic warden will be just as effective.

I'd agree that for cars illegally parked, they should just be lifted straight away, no grace periods or benefit of the doubt. Especially in urban areas.

And their shouldn't be, parking on double yellow lines is parking illegally. There should be no excuses or allowances. Just don't do it.

Definitely in DLRCC, they have it on their website, Dublin city is either 10 or 15. Not sure about anywhere else.

I'm not suggesting there should be btw.

On the other hand I am not a supporter of clamping. If a vehicle is an obstruction it should be removed and if it's in a proper parking spot with a timed out ticket or no ticket they should receive a fine. Things happen, people make mistakes with parking etc and forcing them to hand out 80-120 straight away is just plain cruel.

And also it would facilitate just-a-minute parking if side streets had limited-time parking bays, like the loading bays, that people could use to run into the shops for a maximum of 10 minutes, no extra allowed, car towed if late.

The worst abuse I know is at the far end of Rathmines Road, where vans park up for hours in the loading bay, and then other vans - some of them huge box vans - double park in the cycle lane beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

bc1851dda40ffe485e0cc466d477e532,780,0,0,0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Alek wrote: »
    bc1851dda40ffe485e0cc466d477e532,780,0,0,0.jpg

that's me, getting ready for robfowl in the cyclocross....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    that's me, getting ready for robfowl in the cyclocross....

It's not. It's what Alek is going to look like on his last ascent of his Everest attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No, this is my descending mode. Walkers beware :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Brendan Carr, the cyclists' friend, will no longer be Lord Mayor of Dublin, as of tonight.

who's next, though?

who's next, though?
    George Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

who's next, though?

Meachaill o murahagh ! Apologies I can't spell Irish names for cr€p . Not sure what his views on cycling are he is a shinner colleague of mine in Dublin bay north.

Delighted he got the honour personally

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

davycc wrote: »
    Meachaill o murahagh ! Apologies I can't spell Irish names for cr€p . Not sure what his views on cycling are he is a shinner colleague of mine in Dublin bay north.

Delighted he got the honour personally
    The vote doesn't take place till this evening. Do you have an inside track? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    The vote doesn't take place till this evening. Do you have an inside track? ;)

Isn't there an agreement in place that the parties basically take turns in having the mayor, so if he's the only shinner nominated it's all but a forgone conclusion?

Mícheál Mac Donncha, I think?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't there an agreement in place that the parties basically take turns in having the mayor, so if he's the only shinner nominated it's all but a forgone conclusion?
    Yeah, I remember reading before that the Fine Gael and Labour used to take it in turns to have a mayor. Gentlemen's (and gentleladies') agreement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement